OT: Washington Nationals Win The World Series!!!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it flies under the radar how despicable this organization is

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27899283/astros-deny-intent-assistant-gm-support-roberto-osuna

The Astros statement read, "The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible. An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else -- they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated's attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist."

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27899283/astros-deny-intent-assistant-gm-support-roberto-osuna

The Astros statement read, "The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible. An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else -- they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated's attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist."
I'm glad they clarified that the assistant GM was glad he closed a ballgame after not closing a ballgame and he wasn't specifically f***ing happy they signed him because he was arrested last year for assault.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Of course SI's story has been corroborated by other reporters who were present:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
im not defending, just providing more than one side of the story. It’s all just conversation....

I mean if we break this ‘story’ down what did the guy actually do? Said repeatedly how happy he is they acquired a guy who led the league in saves and games finished? Is that an unreasonable opinion? Is that an unreasonable thing to say around a guy who just blew a save but his teammate bailed him out?

I get it that in our someone is always looking to be offended world someone has decided to be offended but why does anyone give a krap about this?

This seems like the media making themselves the story for no other reason than to have a story to me.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I mean if we break this ‘story’ down what did the guy actually do? Said repeatedly how happy he is they acquired a guy who led the league in saves and games finished? Is that an unreasonable opinion? Is that an unreasonable thing to say around a guy who just blew a save but his teammate bailed him out?

I get it that in our someone is always looking to be offended world someone has decided to be offended but why does anyone give a krap about this?

This seems like the media making themselves the story for no other reason than to have a story to me.

He directed those comments at three female reporters right after Osuna had a dreadful outing. Anyone who can read context clues knows exactly what his intentions were and why this is a big story.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCaps2004

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I only just read this story and know nothing about any of this, but I suppose it would depend on the tone/tenor of the statement. If it was celebratory, then maybe it was poorly conceived but otherwise fine. If it was in the vein of "f*** you, ladies" then yeah, that's not okay. But I do agree this sounds like the kind of molehill that the press likes to make mountains out of.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He directed those comments at three female reporters right after Osuna had a dreadful outing. Anyone who can read context clues knows exactly what his intentions were.

Meaning anyone looking to be offended and already believed because of the allegations Osuna was suspended for he should be canceled is going to decide to be offended.

Everyone else is going to say who gives a krap and move on to something else...

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I only just read this story and know nothing about any of this, but I suppose it would depend on the tone/tenor of the statement. If it was celebratory, then maybe it was poorly conceived but otherwise fine. If it was in the vein of "**** you, ladies" then yeah, that's not okay. But I do agree this sounds like the kind of molehill that the press likes to make mountains out of.

same....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A distraction built of bad behavior isn't helpful. Since apparently the Astros are the greatest team of all time, every little bit helps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Meaning anyone looking to be offended and already believed because of the allegations Osuna was suspended for he should be canceled is going to decide to be offended.

Everyone else is going to say who gives a krap and move on to something else...

Not quite. People can be upset about comments that in hindsight may have been a bit tone deaf even if they weren't looking to be offended. It is possible for someone to say something dumb without the context of, "everyone's just looking to be offended."

Reactions: StrikingDistance

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not quite. People can be upset about comments that in hindsight may have been a bit tone deaf even if they weren't looking to be offended. It is possible for someone to say something dumb without the context of, "everyone's just looking to be offended."

It seems pretty clear in today’s society at least on social media many many people have sort of a culture of rushing to be offended.

I don’t know this dude or the context of his actions other than what I read just like everyone else. Sounding more and more like it was a “suck my ***k, we were right” kind of move which just isn’t needed.

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It seems pretty clear in today’s society at least on social media many many people have sort of a culture of rushing to be offended.

I don’t know this dude or the context of his actions other than what I read just like everyone else. Sounding more and more like it was a “suck my ***k, we were right” kind of move which just isn’t needed.

Sure, of course. In many instances it is a rush to get likes, shares, and retweets... no disagreement with you there. That said, we can separate the people who want to be offended about everything from the dumb shit that people say that can actually cause people to be offended and I think in this case his comments lean towards the latter.

Also, when you sign a guy with a checkered history you lose the latitude and the benefit of the doubt afforded to guys who do things the right way. If you acquire a player for pennies on the dollar because he beat his wife then you have to be more thoughtful when talking about him. There's already the sense that you chose winning over doing the right thing and you need to be more thoughtful when discussing said player. That's just how it is.

This guy from the Astros sounds like a f*** stick who probably doesn't think about how women reporters would interpret his comments because he's never had to give consideration before as to how women reporters are treated in a predominantly male industry. When confronted with a dissenting opinion, instead of being reasonable saying, "Hey, I never thought about it that way but after some reflection I see how some could interpret this that way... I understand their position and I never meant to make them feel uncomfortable." Instead, he/they doubled down by accusing reporters of lying and fabricating a story and making themselves sound aloof, combative, and insensitive. Just dumb all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad