OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Altho this question is rhetorical based on that info....

how many of those RBs lasted more than 2 seasons....besides Morris of course.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Altho this question is rhetorical based on that info....

how many of those RBs lasted more than 2 seasons....besides Morris of course.

Royster was a 6th rounder in 2011 and was borderline roster-worthy through 2013 before being cut in 2014.
Helu was a 4th rounder also in 2011 and lasted a year longer.

Prior to that they didn't even draft an RB from 2003-2010.

Ladell Betts was around for 8 seasons after being drafted in the 2nd round in 2002.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

This article suggests the INOVA departure has more to do with clearing Smith to play again then the Danny and his partners squabble. Also, a number of teams expressed interest in resigning Smith but they wanted him to sign waivers about his leg, or they had reservations about the “non-union” in his leg. Which means two half’s of one of his leg bones has not healed back together.

Smith is still bitter that DC coaches “patronized” him but he has a non-union in his leg to this day. He is lucky DC let him on the field again. It’s clear the reason why he retired was because the 31 other teams weren’t keen on having him on the field either.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

This article suggests the INOVA departure has more to do with clearing Smith to play again then the Danny and his partners squabble. Also, a number of teams expressed interest in resigning Smith but they wanted him to sign waivers about his leg, or they had reservations about the “non-union” in his leg. Which means two half’s of one of his leg bones has not healed back together.

Smith is still bitter that DC coaches “patronized” him but he has a non-union in his leg to this day. He is lucky DC let him on the field again. It’s clear the reason why he retired was because the 31 other teams weren’t keen on having him on the field either.

I can understand a little bitterness, but I would hope it fades pretty quickly. Hopefully he'll come to understand the level of fear WFT (or any other team) would have around putting him back on the field.

It's not a matter of the possibility of him taking a hit that not only ends his career but makes him a cripple for the rest of his life; that possibility exists on every play, and they all take the field knowing that. But in the case of Smith, a 37-year old with drop-foot and an unhealed leg fracture, it becomes a probability that, over the span of a full season, he's ventually going to take a hit that does exactly that. Hell, it could happen when he's dropping into the pocket. Or just the wash of linemen around his feet at the end of any random play.

Last year was an adrenaline high for him and the team. But with a full offseason and an understanding of what his physical situation really is, it's not just owners and FO staffs that wouldn't want to shoulder that kind of risk. If you're an offensive player, do you want to carry that on every snap? It may not be front of mind, but don't think it won't be in there.

Thank you, Alex, for an inspiring comeback and leading the team to a shocking NFCE title -- now ride off into the sunset with no hard feelings, knowing you gave your all, and the whole league agrees that it's time for you to enjoy your retirement.

Last edited:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The goodwill toward Alex, for me at least, is fading fast. All this complaining in the media is making him look petty and taking away from his great story. And I'll repeat my assertion that he himself was playing scared out there. He was getting rid of balls for underneath throws way quicker than necessary, often with no pressure on him.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I can understand a little bitterness, but I would hope it fades pretty quickly. Hopefully he'll come to understand the level of fear WFT (or any other team) would have around putting him back on the field.

It's not a matter of the possibility of him taking a hit that not only ends his career but makes him a cripple for the rest of his life;

If he got seriously injured again, im pretty sure we wouldnt have been able to cut him and would have had to negotiate an injury settlement .. so hed have gotten even more money beyond what guaranteed money he was owed when we cut him.

WFT wanted him to retire (save team some guar money) or at least try to rehab but not able to come back (ins policy would have given us some cap relief)

Alex Smith wanted to "stay on" as long as he could so get as much money as possible.

I understand both sides but for him to be complaining about feeling "patronized" .. yeah nobody thought you should be out there and you def were not gong to last long. Guy played 2 or 3 games before the calf gave up. The calf that isnt even a calf muscle, it was like a buttocks muscle or something they cut out and sewed to his calf bc he lost most tissue in that calf.

Take your huge pile of money and stfu. you got paid like 7 million dollars per game you started for us.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What he did was great but I wonder if he's considering it from the standpoint of the team, coaches, teammates, other team staff, and everyone's families. If he's "clear to play" and still has a broken bone in his leg then how do you stake everyone's future on that?

Great job, Alex. Now grab the golf clubs and relax.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
People surround themselves with what they are. Dan surrounds himself with thin-skinned, shady, vindictive assholes who aren't qualified to manage an 8-year old girls soccer team.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Really have no idea what we’re going to do at the draft, which makes it kind of exciting. Last year was a lock with CY

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't know, I'd find it more exciting to know that the team was about to get it's QB of the future from among the top 2 options. But that's just me. ;)

(I get what you're saying, just being a little bit of a smart ass.)

Reactions: max21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad