OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Why not? What's wrong with Mac Jones?
Probably the most overvalued prospect in the draft. An insane need for QBs in the top half of the draft has helped create his ridiculous rise from mid round prospect to best of the rest 2nd rounder to maybe late 1st to now the lock at #3 lol... Mac Jones is a developmental mid round QB who benefited from playing behind a ridiculously good offensive line, 2 bonafide first round WRs and a likely 1st round RB.

Reactions: ynotcaps

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Probably the most overvalued prospect in the draft. An insane need for QBs in the top half of the draft has helped create his ridiculous rise from mid round prospect to best of the rest 2nd rounder to maybe late 1st to now the lock at #3 lol... Mac Jones is a developmental mid round QB who benefited from playing behind a ridiculously good offensive line, 2 bonafide first round WRs and a likely 1st round RB.

As if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow didn't have stacked offenses?

Mac Jones is legit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
As if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow didn't have stacked offenses?

Mac Jones is legit.
I’m not buying. Their individual workouts were not the same. Jones was horrible. Sure, that’s not everything—but Tua hasn’t looked good behind so far, and he was the same teams QB. Maybe a weaker version.

If he there at 19, then ok. But please please please PLEASE do not give up next years 1st to go and get him (shudder).

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I don’t care about cost if they actually land a great qb. Could be 5 firsts for all I care...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Cooleys top 5 QBs from his breakdown:

Wilson
Lawerence
Jones
Lance
Fields

He said the top 3 are top 5 level talents, Lance top 10 and Fields top 20.

He also said Trask is a career backup, Mond needs 3 years of development and others like Mills and Neuwmann are long shot projects.

If Jones makes it to 5 DC has to go get him. If Fields is there at 19 DC should draft him and the others? If one of them makes it to round 5 or beyond it might be worth a shot to try and develop.

I think DC trades up but I think it’s only into the top 15 to get a LT or LB.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Wilson
Lawerence
Jones
Lance
Fields

He also said Trask is a career backup, Mond needs 3 years of development and others like Mills and Neuwmann are long shot projects.

If Jones makes it to 5 DC has to go get him. If Fields is there at 19 DC should draft him and the others? If one of them makes it to round 5 or beyond it might be worth a shot to try and develop.

This is spot on.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Chris Simms' Quarterback Rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft

Kellan Mond is someone to keep an eye on. Hes not getting media buz but QBs love his game.

Some mocks have us taking him in the 2nd. Him and Mills stock have gone from 3rd-4th rounders to 2nd rounders.

My whacky prediction is we trade back into later in the 1st and take Asante Samuel, Mond in the 2nd.

Reading the scouting reports on Mond, seems like a Dak Prescott comparison.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Wilson
Lawerence
Jones
Lance
Fields

Cooley does/did a nice job with post-game film breakdowns. That does not make him a prime evaluator of college talent.
It would be insanity to trade up to get a QB who's stock has risen into the stratosphere based almost entirely by market-driven QB inflation. Spending at least 2 firsts to get the 3rd-5th QB in a 2 QB draft would be ridiculous.
Similarly, trading up to get the 4th-5th best OT would be a bad move. Sewell & Slater are the top 2 guys and they'll be long gone -- but probably at least one of Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker (G/T), Jenkins and a few others should be there at 19 -- they're not separated from each other enough to warrant trading up to get one of them (except maybe AVT, but he's not a lock to play OT.)
And if they trade up to get a LB, somebody should be fired. Parsons will likely gone by the time we pick, but there's a very good chance that at least 2 of JOK, Collins and Davis should be there, and a decent chance that all three are.
Assuming the draft board behaves in the median range of what's expected, if all six of the players I listed as possible/likely avails are still there, that means we would still get one of them at 25 -- and probably later, since there's 0 chance that those exact guys would be selected 19-25.) Whatever number of those guys aren't there, would be replaced by the CB, WR or possibly even QB whose place they took in my original assumtions.
That means there are going to be guys on the board through at least pick 25 at some combination of 5 positions that we are looking to improve our roster at.
To me that screams "trade DOWN" not up, assuming there's someone in that range who's looking to move into the range where we sit. If there's not then, hey, you just take the guy you like best and get prepared for Rd 2.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Cooley does/did a nice job with post-game film breakdowns. That does not make him a prime evaluator of college talent.
It would be insanity to trade up to get a QB who's stock has risen into the stratosphere based almost entirely by market-driven QB inflation. Spending at least 2 firsts to get the 3rd-5th QB in a 2 QB draft would be ridiculous.
Similarly, trading up to get the 4th-5th best OT would be a bad move. Sewell & Slater are the top 2 guys and they'll be long gone -- but probably at least one of Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker (G/T), Jenkins and a few others should be there at 19 -- they're not separated from each other enough to warrant trading up to get one of them (except maybe AVT, but he's not a lock to play OT.)
And if they trade up to get a LB, somebody should be fired. Parsons will likely gone by the time we pick, but there's a very good chance that at least 2 of JOK, Collins and Davis should be there, and a decent chance that all three are.
Assuming the draft board behaves in the median range of what's expected, if all six of the players I listed as possible/likely avails are still there, that means we would still get one of them at 25 -- and probably later, since there's 0 chance that those exact guys would be selected 19-25.) Whatever number of those guys aren't there, would be replaced by the CB, WR or possibly even QB whose place they took in my original assumtions.
That means there are going to be guys on the board through at least pick 25 at some combination of 5 positions that we are looking to improve our roster at.
To me that screams "trade DOWN" not up, assuming there's someone in that range who's looking to move into the range where we sit. If there's not then, hey, you just take the guy you like best and get prepared for Rd 2.

This.

Vera-Tucker is starting to look attractive to me (not in a creepy way of course). We may need a LT this year or next, we will almost certainly need a RG next year. V-T gives us the versatility to play him where we need him most. I like him at 19. I don't like trading up for anyone in this draft unless something silly happens with a guy falling.

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Great read on RR, changing culture, leadership, and Haskins (anti leadership).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/26/ron-rivera-washington-football-culture/

But if Rivera wasn’t willing to back it up with firm action, none of it meant a thing. He learned that from John Madden, a mentor early in Rivera’s head coaching career with the Carolina Panthers. “Ron, don’t ever forget you set the standard,” Madden told him. “And if you don’t hold everybody to the same standard, then you’re just talking into the wind.”

In fact, Rivera wasn’t holding everybody to the same standard. And they all knew it. Quarterback Dwayne Haskins, the personal first-round draft pick of owner Daniel Snyder, was a visible laggard. If there was one bad habit in the organization, the veterans knew, it was the devaluing of real effort while allowing a favored few to slide.

Rivera desperately wanted to give Haskins a fresh chance — “I loved the arm,” he says. “And he’s got a fast twitch about him when he sees the right thing.” At first Rivera figured all Haskins needed was some schooling. For 11 straight weeks, from training camp through the first month of the season, he gave Haskins every snap with the first team. “I was trying to create as much of an opportunity as possible to develop and grow,” Rivera says.

But after an initial burst of progress, Haskins reverted to a habitual casualness. “Look, everybody’s got a great arm in this league,” Rivera observes. “What separates them is the other part of it.”

While Rivera felt obliged to give Haskins every chance, it became plain how badly he was being outworked by the other quarterbacks. Particularly Smith, who was trying to prove his post-injury durability despite 17 surgeries and was another player Rivera didn’t know quite what to do with, to Smith’s ire. Reluctant to test Smith’s leg, Rivera felt most comfortable with the undrafted Kyle Allen, a dogged worker he calls “a very steady force. He’s a ‘hey, all right, whatever you want me to do, I’ll do.’ ”

Haskins was a huge complication in Rivera’s culture campaign because he made all of Rivera’s talk just wind. By the second game, Rivera was “concerned,” and by the third, when Haskins gave up three interceptions and a fumble in a loss to the Cleveland Browns, Rivera started asking hard questions of his staff.
“What type of commitment do we have? What is he doing? When is he getting in? When is he leaving? What extra things has he done? Who’s he been working with?”

Rivera would ask receivers, “Hey, have you been doing any extra work with him?” The reply was no. “You haven’t?” When Rivera and his staff looked at the Cleveland game tape, he saw something that truly startled him. On a throw late in the game, Haskins went through his progression backward. His first look was to a receiver who was the last option on the play.

A week later he demoted Haskins to third string, and it was one of the two most important personnel moves Rivera would make all season. “I will say this: I think doing what I did helped me with the other guys,” Rivera reflects. “Because I showed them that, hey, guys, I’m not all-in on just one guy. I’m all-in on the team. … Making the decision not only had the impact of taking a young player and benching him, but it also told a group of guys, hey, look, if you’re not toeing the line, if you’re not doing your job and working the way you need to work and doing things the way we need them done, I’m moving on from you.”

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Some mocks have us taking him in the 2nd. Him and Mills stock have gone from 3rd-4th rounders to 2nd rounders.

My whacky prediction is we trade back into later in the 1st and take Asante Samuel, Mond in the 2nd.

Reading the scouting reports on Mond, seems like a Dak Prescott comparison.
If we take a defensive back over a linebacker I’d be pretty pissed

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/26/ron-rivera-washington-football-culture/
Great story. Amazing what a difference a true professional can make.
It also gives me much more confidence that whoever they do draft, at whatever positions (whether I agree with the pick or not), at least the guys are be hard workers.
No more prima donna, Danny's boys -- just damn football players.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
If we take a defensive back over a linebacker I’d be pretty pissed

Personally I think one of the big 5 WRs or OTs will be there. The LB out of ND would be great as well. Just a gut feeling as to what WFT will do with Samuel but we did do an official visit with him.

Reactions: max21

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

If you're DH how stupid/entitled do you have to be to slack off in that situation? New coach preaching accountability, brings in his OWN GUY from his last team behind you, and the beloved starter from before is the comeback feel-good story of the year and working his ass off. And you're treating it like football summer camp.

Good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad