NFL: Washington Football Team now the Washington Commanders

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If the employee(s) don't like the way they're treated they are free to seek employment elsewhere and/or file suit for compensation. Because some guy(s) acts inappropriately (allegedly?) the fans of said organizations team (many, many who were fans before Dan Snyder took over) have to be subjected to this horseshit?
The fans were subjected to a name change specifically because the owner failed to clean up how his business operated and mistreated women over many years. If you are so upset about the name change, be upset at the guy who made the change hoping to chase positive PR to offset his terrible, terrible management practices.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well, that sucks but I still don't really 'care'. Like I said, I have other things to worry about. You know, important things like gasoline being at an all-time high, the Southern border being a porous disaster........and on and on. Change the name 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 to the Redskins, it's always been that way, it's tradition. While they're at it they can change the 'Guardians' (absolutely ridiculous name) back to the Indians. Chief Wahoo forever.
Minstrel shows are a tradition.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, that sucks but I still don't really 'care'. Like I said, I have other things to worry about. You know, important things like gasoline being at an all-time high, the Southern border being a porous disaster........and on and on. Change the name 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 to the Redskins, it's always been that way, it's tradition. While they're at it they can change the 'Guardians' (absolutely ridiculous name) back to the Indians. Chief Wahoo forever.
You care a little bit. If you don’t care, then you don’t care. The Commanders and Guardians should be a nothingburger if everything is as you say it is. This is just nothing more than billionaires exercising their rights to their properties that they own for the reasons they see fit. Very few traditions usurp that, some of them because it is stupid for it to just always have been that way.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
You care a little bit. If you don’t care, then you don’t care. The Commanders and Guardians should be a nothingburger if everything is as you say it is. This is just nothing more than billionaires exercising their rights to their properties that they own for the reasons they see fit. Very few traditions usurp that, some of them because it is stupid for it to just always have been that way.

Yeah, I 𝘥𝘰 care about the name changes in Washington and Cleveland..............I couldn't care less about the way Dan Snyder treats his employees.

• Haha
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I 𝘥𝘰 care about the name changes in Washington and Cleveland..............I couldn't care less about the way Dan Snyder treats his employees.
Ah, I see. I see very clearly. The treatment, safety, and dignity of human beings coming a distant second (if that) to what a billionaire asshole names his sports ball team. This has nothing to do with anything other than wanting to gratuitously whine about woke left activism even after it being explained why the name was changed in the first place.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
Dan Snyder is not a leftist activist, dude.

Probably not, but these assholes are:

Capture.JPG

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's not difficult to cultivate a sense of moral superiority if someone cares more about a sportsball team name (that isn't even a team they follow!) than sexual harrassment and sex trafficking.

But go ahead. Astound with your "facts" that led you to conclude re-naming the Redskins is a greater moral outrage than Snyder sending WFT cheerleaders to Barbados or wherever (edit: Coasta Rica) stealing their passports, then telling them they'd get them back if they "performed". Go ahead.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Probably not, but these assholes are:

View attachment 563026
They aren't why the name changed. They'd been protesting for decades and were ignored.

The name changed because Snyder chose to change the name hoping doing so would deflect criticism for how he ran his team. And you're a dozen posts into pretending you don't care about a topic that clearly has you deeply upset.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Snyder changed the name to quash any accessory inflammatory responses. The name change dropped just weeks before the first report of cheerleader scandal dropped. Yes, it did take away the media from using the race card, but if there wasn’t real misconduct, there wouldn’t have been a change.

The old name would have been easy tinder for the media to pick up on and blast ad nauseum through the tube and airwaves. By changing it to Washington Football Team, it turned the instinctive reaction of many in the audience into a joke to not pay attention to. Some in the media, like Stephen A. Smith also played along with the team without a name shtick...

Snyder basically did “anti-marketing” using Washington Football Team name. It led people to treat everything related to the team not seriously even theough the experience of the employees is indeed terrible and believable.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Snyder changed the name because he was being told no one would get serious about a stadium deal until he did.

Sep 19, 2008
They aren't why the name changed. They'd been protesting for decades and were ignored.

The name changed because Snyder chose to change the name hoping doing so would deflect criticism for how he ran his team. And you're a dozen posts into pretending you don't care about a topic that clearly has you deeply upset.
This isn't correct, he changed the name because the sponsors started ditching the team. It had nothing to do with deflecting anything.

I suppose you believe the recent McLaurin extension was also designed and timed to "deflect" from Congressional hearings.

Snyder changed the name because he was being told no one would get serious about a stadium deal until he did.
Also incorrect.

You have to remember that when the whole crisis was going down the big dominos in terms of FedEx complaining as well as Nike were pretty significant. When sponsors started demanding a name change (and the sponsors control the money) Snyder had no choice but to change the name.

It had nothing to do with stadium deals, or deflecting anything. It was a purely selfish reason that the money faucet the Commanders former name brought in would take a hit with the current name. So they changed it. It had nothing to do with being woke, being progressive, stadium deals (which STILL have not progressed since the name change) or "deflections" to distract the sheep from turmoil.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This isn't correct, he changed the name because the sponsors started ditching the team. It had nothing to do with deflecting anything.

I suppose you believe the recent McLaurin extension was also designed and timed to "deflect" from Congressional hearings.

Also incorrect.

You have to remember that when the whole crisis was going down the big dominos in terms of FedEx complaining as well as Nike were pretty significant. When sponsors started demanding a name change (and the sponsors control the money) Snyder had no choice but to change the name.

It had nothing to do with stadium deals, or deflecting anything. It was a purely selfish reason that the money faucet the Commanders former name brought in would take a hit with the current name. So they changed it. It had nothing to do with being woke, being progressive, stadium deals (which STILL have not progressed since the name change) or "deflections" to distract the sheep from turmoil.
July 3, 2020: The first press release goes out saying the team name will be changed.

July 16, 2020: The first story about the disgusting abuses of cheerleaders is published in the Washington Post (the Post writers had contacted Snyder and others seeking comment before publication).

And Dan Snyder here wants to pretend there’s no possible way this timing is related.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Also incorrect.

Well, the thing is, those "sponsors" were a-ok with the "R" name for years. As far as a hit to the bottom line, I highly doubt the team's name was a significant worry. People are going to Fedex their stuff regardless, especially when at the time, the pandemic upped the delivery volume. Plus, the team was already irrelevant to outsiders. If Snyder lost fans, it's because he whipped up his own reputation as a clueless rich boy with lots of money but no understanding of how to build a winner, while also running a workplace with a toxic culture that undermined his coaches.

Dan Snyder's forte is precisely marketing. He knows the tricks to attract attention. By extension, he would also know "bad marketing" and not getting attention. The crap he allowed and possibly did personally could be very well in Harvey Weinstein territory but the public reaction is nowhere near that firestorm because he utilized "bad marketing" intentionally.

The interim name, "Washington Football Team" had the connotations of "joke" and even an illegitimate or "minor league" football team. That psychological response is exactly what someone who wants to hide wants, especially since they hung on to the name until the next convenient time. People register "team without a name", laugh at it, and then just move on.

The unveiling of the "Commanders" name was on a hearing day where Snyder would be personally implicated and accused, with more than just the woman victim, but another male organizational insider.

The Brian Flores suit also appears "independent", but the lawyers hammered out the filing and filed that in extremely rapid time for lawyers(less than 3 business days at most).

The combination of events basically dilute the coverage in the media on the airwaves on Feb 2 and the days before and after. Fewer ears hear the news and some pay attention to the news that they are more personally invested in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad