NFL: Washington Football Team now the Washington Commanders

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s a twist! One I didn’t expect. Don’t get how the NFL allowed this to happen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They spent 2 years on this and didn't get a trademark? Really?

Again, people were going to hate on any name since they had to change it and they didn't want anything new.

Next, was the nickname that others have given them for Commies, which I'm sure ticked off the fanbase. Like no one figured that would occur? 3 syllable names will get shortened.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The new owner confirms the racist name won’t be brought back.

Honestly, despite it being the US, I think in the end these people just hate change vs love the prior nickname.

Team could have been renamed Warthogs, Red Wolves, Admirals, Redtails, whatever, and people wouldn't like it. Eskimos have been renamed to Elks, Indians to Guardians, Bullets to Wizards. I don't recall the reaction to the change to have been as bad as Washington's. I think Cleveland fans were more upset that it wasn't changed to Spiders vs Guardians, than wanting the name Indians back and what ended up being a meh logo. Spiders, so many variations (and I think a lot of fans would have dressed up as Spider-man).

Sep 19, 2008
I'm really impressed by Harris so far. He's been a successful owner of 2 sports teams so far (Sixers as much as I hate to say it as a Sixers hater, and Devils)

A few clapbacks over the Sixers not being a winning org, but they've made the playoffs 5 straight times and Harris took them from an afterthought to relevant and increased the valuation greatly.

The Sixers were something of a distressed asset at the time as well, Blitzer says, losing approximately $25 million a year with a mediocre roster and a frustrated local fan base that routinely prioritized the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies and Flyers in terms of attendance.

Harris and Blitzer studied the financials, taking more than six months to work through and close the deal. They badly wanted the team. But they'd made their careers -- and their fortunes -- by making the right investments, at the right time, for the right price.

The more they studied the NBA and the sports world in general, the more untapped value they saw.

And so in early July 2011, Harris and Blitzer put pen to paper. It is one of the great sports business success stories of the modern era -- from a purchase price of $280 million to a $3.15 billion valuation in 2023.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And that valuation is going to be higher W based on the Philly market and the past sales of the hornets, Bucks and Suns in the past 2 seasons. The 3 sold for an average valuation of $3.5 bill.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm really impressed by Harris so far. He's been a successful owner of 2 sports teams so far (Sixers as much as I hate to say it as a Sixers hater, and Devils)

A few clapbacks over the Sixers not being a winning org, but they've made the playoffs 5 straight times and Harris took them from an afterthought to relevant and increased the valuation greatly.

The Sixers were something of a distressed asset at the time as well, Blitzer says, losing approximately $25 million a year with a mediocre roster and a frustrated local fan base that routinely prioritized the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies and Flyers in terms of attendance.

Harris and Blitzer studied the financials, taking more than six months to work through and close the deal. They badly wanted the team. But they'd made their careers -- and their fortunes -- by making the right investments, at the right time, for the right price.

The more they studied the NBA and the sports world in general, the more untapped value they saw.

And so in early July 2011, Harris and Blitzer put pen to paper. It is one of the great sports business success stories of the modern era -- from a purchase price of $280 million to a $3.15 billion valuation in 2023.

NBA franchise prices have gone up since 2011, they've done a good job but lets not act like its the sole or major reason why the Sixers are worth over $3bn. Hornets have been absolute garbage most of their existence and look at what they just sold for.

One Ballmer overpaid for the Clippers in 2014, franchise values shot through the roof. Add in the last TV deal and there you go.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

He has not been that good of an owner for the Sixers. Bending over for Silver and letting the Colangelos ruin his organization and force Hinkie out was shameful.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad