OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t believe people are losing their junk over Fitz.

You didn’t want to pony up in a big trade for a true number one...

This positions them perfectly to draft a guy if one they like slides to them...

rolling with some combo of Smith, Allen, Heiny is an absurd idea...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I liked Darby. But not at 10m. That’s like full time really good starter money right now. It’s the absolute top price point for him. Like probably 120% top.

KPL was a nobody when they signed him last year. Now his departure is gutting? He’s older and there are a lot of players like him. Cover LB’s.

I don’t like that they let their top 2 UFA’S on defense go, especially since RR was preaching “sigh your own”, but those were big contracts for those players. BIG.

and Fitz is perfect. IMO. Veteran that teammates love to play for, and is good at mentoring. He’s an actually useful (and gun slinging version) of Alex Smith.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
One year deal to bridge to a guy we draft this year? Very reasonable cost? Better QB then we currently have in the stable? Better than Winston/Mariotta?

I'm ok with this.

Reasonable cost is a good one. Others have used it as well. 10 mil for a 38 year old journeyman QB doesn’t seem reasonable to me. Anyway, what’s done is done.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
giphy.gif

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Can’t believe people are losing their junk over Fitz.

You didn’t want to pony up in a big trade for a true number one...

This positions them perfectly to draft a guy if one they like slides to them...

rolling with some combo of Smith, Allen, Heiny is an absurd idea...
You can address me directly. I am the only one against this move it seems. I wouldn’t describe myself as losing my junk though. Just disappointed. I want to see young players with potential get opportunities during a rebuild.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I liked Darby. But not at 10m. That’s like full time really good starter money right now. It’s the absolute top price point for him. Like probably 120% top.

KPL was a nobody when they signed him last year. Now his departure is gutting? He’s older and there are a lot of players like him. Cover LB’s.

I don’t like that they let their top 2 UFA’S on defense go, especially since RR was preaching “sigh your own”, but those were big contracts for those players. BIG.

and Fitz is perfect. IMO. Veteran that teammates love to play for, and is good at mentoring. He’s an actually useful (and gun slinging version) of Alex Smith.
Darby played very good last year. He is made for RRs system. Now the team needs a starting CB. Where are they going to get one? The CB market is pretty bare.

And I see you’ve added to your post since I quoted you, not sure who is upset about losing KPL but his loss is significant in the fact who will replace him? He played weak side LB and he was decent at it and his speed is hard to find in a LB. Decent enough to keep while they look to draft a replacement. Now instead of one hole at LB they have two.

Still FAs out there but more holes are being created instead of being filled.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You can address me directly. I am the only one against this move it seems. I wouldn’t describe myself as losing my junk though. Just disappointed. I want to see young players with potential get opportunities during a rebuild.

If it was just you, I would have responded directly....but it’s not.

I’m disappointed we didn’t get a real #1....but this is what you get left with when the price is seemingly too high.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There are others against it. (I’m not one of them), but there are. You aren’t alone.

the cost is fine. Only money. No draft capital.

honestly — this off season was never really about getting that star QB, once they didn’t get Stafford (and they tried, seemingly 2nd best offer). It was more a “pick your flavour” between a UFA or a trade for someone that wasn’t working out. We haven’t seen anyone else of substance get moved— maybe they will, maybe they won’t. But it hasn’t happened yet.

Fitz works. He’s a guy that can lead a team to 10 wins. He’s not going to win a Bowl, but he shouldn’t regress the team. And he has all the intangibles we need. So we still have our draft capital to get a young future QB.

lots of off-season left. And I mean LOTS

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There are others against it. (I’m not one of them), but there are. You aren’t alone.

the cost is fine. Only money. No draft capital.

honestly — this off season was never really about getting that star QB, once they didn’t get Stafford (and they tried, seemingly 2nd best offer). It was more a “pick your flavour” between a UFA or a trade for someone that wasn’t working out. We haven’t seen anyone else of substance get moved— maybe they will, maybe they won’t. But it hasn’t happened yet.

Fitz works. He’s a guy that can lead a team to 10 wins. He’s not going to win a Bowl, but he shouldn’t regress the team. And he has all the intangibles we need. So we still have our draft capital to get a young future QB.

lots of off-season left. And I mean LOTS

This. Stafford was my #1 target and Fitz was #2. Taking a flyer on Darnold maybe #3 with Carr a distant #4 and MM #5.

Now it's all about filling the holes in the roster and seeing what happens in the draft. Easy peasy nacho cheesy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Darby played very good last year. He is made for RRs system. Now the team needs a starting CB. Where are they going to get one? The CB market is pretty bare.

And I see you’ve added to your post since I quoted you, not sure who is upset about losing KPL but his loss is significant in the fact who will replace him? He played weak side LB and he was decent at it and his speed is hard to find in a LB. Decent enough to keep while they look to draft a replacement. Now instead of one hole at LB they have two.

Still FAs out there but more holes are being created instead of being filled.
I don’t see it that way. There have been a LOT of CB’s let go in the past week. Seemingly many that had better track records than Darby. If they want to spend 10m, they can probably have the pick of the litter.

plus the draft.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
People freaking out after we didn’t go nuts on Day 1 of free agency is hilarious to me.

This team isn’t one FitzMagic away from the Super Bowl.

But it isn’t on Ronald Darby away either...

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I will feel better when they fill some holes on the roster that were already weak to begin with. I’m not all doom and gloom. I think with Fitz the team has potential to have more leads in the ball game thus taking advantage of the true strength of the club.

19 is the ultimate bpa that falls scenario for this team. I personally wanted them to take left tackle. Now it seems they almost need to go corner or linebacker but they’re surely going QB with one of the top two picks because no long term answer here. The quick passing attacks are coming after WFT and they seriously lack cover talent.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Fascinating how the media spins this as a positive for the Patriots. If any other team did this it would be, "Smart teams build through the draft; this is what happens when you have a lousy scouting department -- you end up having to overpay a bunch of free agents just to remain competitive," or "Sure, this is all well-intentioned... but who is going to be playing QB for them? And they're willing to pay all these guys at skill positions but they couldn't find the money to lock up their own stud guard who left and has now made one of the competitors (Kansas City) better? Smart teams take care of their own and build internally." If Washington did this you know it'd be, "LOL Dan Snyder never learns."

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Feels like Bill is prepping for a game manager-type QB performance from Cam....spending big all around him to hope to have some success.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So what we've done in FA so far:
Tagged Scherff (we've been over this, so not going to rehash)
Resigned Hopkins (who I think is the devil in a kicking shoe, but it's cheap, 1 year, and he can be dumped when we sign Vandy's kicker when we sign her as an undrafted FA)
Signed a 1-yr. starting QB for $10-$12M
Refused to overpay to keep a CB coming off his career year
Refused to overpay to keep a journeyman LB
In a vacuum, these moves make us a little better on O than the status quo (Allen & Heiny), and a little worse on D.
But these aren't going to be in a vacuum -- we still have money spend and there still dozens of FAs available. And they're showing they're not going to be stupid with the cash they have, so it's reasonable to expect that they will fill some of our remaining holes with value players, not big-ticket gambles.
They also (so far) still have all the draft picks we started the off-season with, including 4 in the first 3 rounds -- whcih will fill more needs.
And my last note on the Scherff move (sorry), in the context of what else they've done so far in the FA window, they've sent a signal to the young guys who are going to need to sign new contracts in the next couple of years that they value their own guys more than sexy names off the street. They've said that, but here they've proved it. That should help when it comes time to re-up J. Allen, Paine, TML, etc.
The ship is not taking on water.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
No QB. No Super Bowl.

If this is all they do at the position and don't draft a young QB to develop it's a disastrous move for Rivera.

Year 3 when you START to develop your guy?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don’t see it that way. There have been a LOT of CB’s let go in the past week. Seemingly many that had better track records than Darby. If they want to spend 10m, they can probably have the pick of the litter.

plus the draft.

This. Darby had ONE season out of 6 where he managed to play all 16 games, and he had zero interceptions last year. Would have been nice to keep him for a correct price, but $10M was not that cost. For the record, $10M per is what Kendall Fuller makes.

Reactions: ynotcaps

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
No QB. No Super Bowl.

If this is all they do at the position and don't draft a young QB to develop it's a disastrous move for Rivera.

Year 3 when you START to develop your guy?

I thought you wanted Mac Jones. This move allows us to go that route.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
His numbers? Is this guy serious?

Here is the only numbers that matters. 8 teams in 16 years. Well 9 teams in 17 years now.

He was balling out last year and the year before. I think you're looking at this the wrong way. He's not the QB of the future. He's here as a plug in play. The contract is cheap and only a one year deal. Gives the team time to draft a young quarterback and develop him, rather than rushing him.

I probably would have preferred Mitch, but they were 1A and 1B on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad