OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Hah, wow I typed all this before I saw the Fitz news. Never mind, I guess?

Fitz will be the starter... now will they still draft someone? And if they do, which guy to they drop, Heiney or Allen?

Still hoping they land Mac Jones.
not draft this season. I think we have our 3 guys

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It’s OK. But that probably means we won’t sign Kyle Allen because you still need to draft a QB. And you hope this year’s pick is better than next years pick. Need to have someone come hold the clipboard while Fitzmagic makes his $10M.
Allen will stay over Heiny.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
who cares we have money to spend and thats his market value
Really? They just lopped off 10 mil from the cap for Steve De Berg 2.0.

Fitzpatrick isn’t leading this team to a SB so why sign him? It’s year 2 of a rebuild. I’d rather a rookie or Allen or Heiny at QB then a journeyman QB with bad facial hair. Have someone, anyone, with a shred of potential at QB.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Fitzpatrick isn’t leading this team to a SB so why sign him? It’s year 2 of a rebuild. I’d rather a rookie or Allen or Heiny at QB then a journeyman QB with bad facial hair. Have someone, anyone, with a shred of potential at QB.

they can’t last dude...come on...

If a decent QB falls to them, they can adjust their strategy.

Reactions: max21

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Very good. @g00n was the first FitzMagic soothsayer, and I hopped in the bandwagon soon after.

he’s a good QB. He’s a good mentor. I like it. They could still easily draft a QB if the draft falls the right way, and deal Allen away. 10m is fine. Heck, someone told me that was a good going rate for a backup. So what’s the issue?

plus this means NO to Mariota.

now they can sign a WR or CB. Draft a LB or OT at 1, and keep it up. LOTS of vet DB’s out there. Cap’n Jack will get who he wants. Prob x2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78 and g00n

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
So 7-9 again? Justify Fitz all you want. He’s a loser and a reason he gets benched EVERY year. Still no weapons and now no excitement either. I for one am not a fan of making this team Carolina. It was boring garbage football every year that on occasion the defense got into the post season. If this is the big move it’s surely another season with a bottom 5 offense and bend but don’t break defense. Now without their best corner or a single linebacker that can cover. Why cut Alex Smith? For Fitz?? What a joke.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
This is just poor asset management by Rivera and company. I don't understand at all what they're trying to accomplish this off season. They had specific needs going into the off season and instead, they let two defensive starters walk and sign a 38 year old quarterback for the same money that Darby got from Denver. It makes no sense what so ever.

I'm pissed. Like this is some Bruce Allen kind of bad. Incredibly infuriating.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
AHAHAHAAHAAA!!! YUES!!

DO YOU BELIEVE IN FITZMAGIC!?

tenor.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Fitzy!! :laugh: Enjoy it, @g00n, it's not everyday your dreams come true.

I honestly don't see why people are so upset about this. $10-12M for a starter is peanuts and it doesn't preclude them from finding their guy in the draft. People would have been happier if they signed Trubisky? Traded a second and a fifth for a year of Sam Darnold? The Dolphins were better than they should have been with Fitz and he outplayed their top five draft pick by a country mile. Go get Lance or Jones and you have Fitz, Heinicke, and a rookie which keeps them competitive this year and lets their QB of the future develop properly. And lol at saying the corpse of Alex Smith is better than Fitz (narrator: he's not), especially at their respective cap hits.

As for Darby and KPL, they were JAGs signed off the scrap heap pile last year and Jack Del Rio got them paid. Good for them. That's what good teams do -- they get guys to outperform their cap hit and then let other teams pay them. There still is a lot of talent out there and there will be more available as more teams make moves and come to grips with a lower salary cap so I'm going to avoid the doom and gloom for a little while and see where they end up.

Funny how people were ok paying a guard $18M and my argument was that it was shitty asset management that made them no better this year but they pay a veteran QB a fraction of that and the argument is, "they're not going to win a SB so why bother?"

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is just poor asset management by Rivera and company. I don't understand at all what they're trying to accomplish this off season. They had specific needs going into the off season and instead, they let two defensive starters walk and sign a 38 year old quarterback for the same money that Darby got from Denver. It makes no sense what so ever.

I'm pissed. Like this is some Bruce Allen kind of bad. Incredibly infuriating.

They clearly needed a veteran QB for less money than Smith as a stopgap because the 2 others on the roster aren't QB1 or stars of the future, at least not that we can bank on. Smith's dead cap is $8.6M I think so that probably limited further spending at the position. They clearly believed Smith would not hold up for the money.

A comparison of Smith and Fitz from 2005 to 2020:

upload_2021-3-16_7-39-7.png

Even playing for bad teams in various stages of rebuilding Fitz has only thrown for more INTs than TDs twice at the very start of his career (by 1 INT each year) and for the crappy Jets in 2016. His INT ratio is a tiny bit higher than Smith but Smith also had the advantage of playing for much better teams.

We know what Fitz is bringing and that includes the kind of character and grit this team is searching for on the field and in the locker room. Contrast that with the "country club" days under Allen and others.

Dallas has locked up Dak, Philly has Hurts, and NYG have Jones. Who was WFT going to get that has that same long-term potential? Darnold was probably the only remotely similar option and it's a "meh" kind of gamble.

Which of the available, likely QBs are clearly better than Fitz the last few years?

WFT were never, ever going to land Watson so if that's what people were hoping for it's pie in the sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I give it 8 weeks before he too suffers a catastrophic leg injury.

Don't mind the signing, I had no expectations of getting to postseason next year again anyway. It's clear they're playing the long game rebuild.

Which of course means that by the time they're "done", their best current players will be leaving. And it'll be back to the beginning. That's the football in Washington playbook.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA

Have you looked at the numbers Fitzpatrick has put up? Lol

This take is comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad