OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
.... and now Corey Davis is out the market. 3 year deal worth $37.5 million. Glad to see Washington is sleeping at the wheel. Looking more and more likely that it's going to be another year of full on dumpster diving. Maybe they can call the team the Washington Trash Cans.
Rivera has a long history of doing this.

At least it solidifies the theory that Snyder is no longer in charge. If snyder was in charge they would have thrown money all over the place.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Their whole mantra is to take it easy and find diamonds in the rough. That is how they found Darby. They took a chance on him.

They are lurking waiting for targets to get open. I trust Ron in his approach. Many said that they were too inactive last offseason and they were able to get key contributions from their players (Thomas, Darby, etc)
Agreed. The one thing I take issue with is resigning the kicker who costs us games, but, you know, whatever.
I don't think the conservative approach is a bad way to go knowing they have guys coming up who are gonna need extensions. The more big, long-term FAs you sign, the fewer of your guys you can bring back.
There will be WR values to be had, maybe a TE and hopefully a serviceable short-term QB. If they can manage that, they can use the early picks to address LB and secondary, which I don't think have much to offer in terms of attractive, affordable FAs.
(Plus, given the distance our O is from being an overall strength, I'm really digging the idea of having a D that can choke out the opponent every time they step on the field.)

Sep 19, 2008
Hopkins was solid before 2020

no problems with signing plus it's like a 1 year deal IIRC

In the past WFT would cycle through like a million kickers. Other than QB that was the most volatile position. Remember Graham Gano?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There are SO MANY players available. Let’s just chill.

I’m not being an apologist, but if they wait out a little bit, they can easily get 5 starters instead of 3 for the 33m or so they have to spend (draft picks will be around 5m).

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not worried, but Davis was high on my list....that must mean they’re targeting another guy is all. Carolina North!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not worried about kickers. Like, at all. They can easily be cut and you can have a new one the next week. It's not like they have to learn complicated plays. Or any plays. They have one job.

(sorry, kicker....just sayin...it's a hard job but it's ONE job with no real playbook)

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Posting this because it mentions Trent and Trubisky but mainly because the gif is hilarious.

Ok the lady in the red coat and the guy getting hit over the head with a chair don’t think it’s hilarious.

Lot to unpack in that video. First where is the KUNG FU. Dude gets thrown down right in the beginning in front of the two tables looked to be about grounded and pounded and suddenly ninja crawls out from under the table towards the door and the attacker throws soup on him out of frame.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Lost another one.

Huh.

so DC club is cheap, slow, or maybe both?

This isn’t going to make the masses happy.

so they had to franchise tag their top FA to keep him from leaving, and they’ve now lost 2 defensive starters at what we’re not positions of strength? And what were arguably the next top 2 UFA’S they had?

ok then.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Nobody wants to play for WFT. At least back in the day you had Snyder flying you in his private plane, taking you to a baller dinner and paying you. Sure you had to deal with the cancer culture but you are Danny’s Boi! Now Cancer Culture still exists, you are not getting paid, and everything is muted. Completely opposite from the caps who have a great culture and everyone wants to get in that locker room.

Sep 19, 2008
I like how the guy above said nobody wants to play for DC and then a few minutes later Schefter broke the Fitzpatrick to DC news. Hopefully this gets something going. It's also a one year deal so if he sucks we can cut ties. He provides a solid option at starter while Heineke and Allen back up.

Let's be honest guys Heineke isn't playing 16 games. The guy has gotten hurt TWICE in his only two starts in his career. To imagine him starting a full 17 game slate is a pipe dream. We need someone like Fitzpatrick, as old and inconsistent as he can be, to provide leadership. Then we can get a QB next year.

Also, most important thing. They are probably out of the Watson running now. (not like they were ever in it). That means they can keep their draft picks and build around Fitzpatrick.

ALL IN FOR THE FITZMAGIC BOYS

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I like how the guy above said nobody wants to play for DC and then a few minutes later Schefter broke the Fitzpatrick to DC news. Hopefully this gets something going. It's also a one year deal so if he sucks we can cut ties. He provides a solid option at starter while Heineke and Allen back up.

Let's be honest guys Heineke isn't playing 16 games. The guy has gotten hurt TWICE in his only two starts in his career. To imagine him starting a full 17 game slate is a pipe dream. We need someone like Fitzpatrick, as old and inconsistent as he can be, to provide leadership. Then we can get a QB next year.

Also, most important thing. They are probably out of the Watson running now. (not like they were ever in it). That means they can keep their draft picks and build around Fitzpatrick.

ALL IN FOR THE FITZMAGIC BOYS
It’s OK. But that probably means we won’t sign Kyle Allen because you still need to draft a QB. And you hope this year’s pick is better than next years pick. Need to have someone come hold the clipboard while Fitzmagic makes his $10M.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

They are about the same age too :laugh:

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Huh.

so DC club is cheap, slow, or maybe both?

This isn’t going to make the masses happy.

so they had to franchise tag their top FA to keep him from leaving, and they’ve now lost 2 defensive starters at what we’re not positions of strength? And what were arguably the next top 2 UFA’S they had?

ok then.

Not for nothing, but while RR is trying to build the right culture here, lets not forget the owner is under investigation from the NFL and may be forced to sell. There's still a stink of the harassment claims, and a ton of turnover all around the organization. RR may not be enough to overcome all that just on his own. It may very well be that players want out of here and will take even a modest offer to leave, whereas we may have to overpay some guys to stay and RR isn't interested in overpaying them.

Its also possible that a 7-9 division winner with no QB isn't all that enticing to guys who really want to win now.

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not for nothing, but while RR is trying to build the right culture here, lets not forget the owner is under investigation from the NFL and may be forced to sell. There's still a stink of the harassment claims, and a ton of turnover all around the organization. RR may not be enough to overcome all that just on his own. It may very well be that players want out of here and will take even a modest offer to leave, whereas we may have to overpay some guys to stay and RR isn't interested in overpaying them.

Its also possible that a 7-9 division winner with no QB isn't all that enticing to guys who really want to win now.

Hah, wow I typed all this before I saw the Fitz news. Never mind, I guess?

Fitz will be the starter... now will they still draft someone? And if they do, which guy to they drop, Heiney or Allen?

Still hoping they land Mac Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad