OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 13: 5th String QB Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Letting Cousins walk for nothing was an absolute joke. Once it got into his final year it was a done deal though. Same goes for the return they got for Silverback.

The Redskins need to stop the bleeding but who is a FA QB that could really help? Last off-season it was Mariota/Newton/Winston/Dalton.

Is there someone out there you guys really want?
Not many FA quarterbacks for 2021, Dak is the main one but I really don’t see Dallas letting him go. Jamies Winston is available, Phil Rivers. I’m sure a few teams will be willing to trade their QB this offseason tho, I can see Stafford being traded or maybe even Wentz. I wouldn’t mind Cam either (cam is my last choice)

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’d be a no-brainer addition, but what are the chances they could get him? My guess is slim and none.

Winston paired with a dominant D could win some games and buys time to search for a young replacement. He’s my second choice, but most likely doesn’t get them to the promised land, and just delays the inevitable: WFT needs a franchise QB.

Until they find one they won’t amount to much. And that’s been the case for a long, long time.
Dak for sure. And I think this season could not have gone worse for Dallas in terms of wanting to retain him. He seems like a loyal dude but maybe Dak feels slighted towards the Cowboys after their contract negotiations led to him getting hurt while playing on the tag. Maybe watching them fail this spectacularly without him and watching his OL fall apart through retirement, injury, or just poor performance will give him pause about committing there long term. Maybe seeing the internal strife boil over into the public eye only six games McCarthy's tenure will be cause for alarm.

I think backing the Brinks truck up and giving him a blank check is the way to go. Washington instantly becomes the best team in the division by some degree with Dak, especially if they smartly use resources this offseason to build up the offense around him around him. The defense is turning into a defense capable of taking them deep into the playoffs, especially if they can add a true free safety and another talented ILB to play with Holcomb.

I covet Fields but I just don't think Washington will be bad enough to get him, especially given how awful their division is. The Football Team has the 4th easiest strength of schedule remaining and there are a lot of bad teams this year that will out-suck them. Maybe they get Mac Jones or Zach Wilson in the second if the top tier is already gone by the time they draft but Dak will have just turned 28 by the time next season starts and he's certainly a top 5-7 QB in the league at this point. Pay him and forget about the QB position for the next 5-10 years and build around him.

Reactions: max21

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
we would have at least been in the mix for the Division in 3/5 of those years.....maybe make a few playoffs.....who knows.

people love to piss on Cousins, but when they could have had him at a reasonable price they shit the bed.

I called it then, it would set us back 10 years......we’re tracking just right IMO, because they are their own worst enemy in fixing the problem at QB.
I was definitely on the "don't pay Cousins" train after they blew the initial negotiations with him. For the original amount he requested it would have been a fair deal but in typical Redskins fashion they blew that opportunity and he wasn't worth any where near what he was commanding (or worth the franchise tag) once they screwed the pooch. He struggled to perform at a high level even with a lot of talent around him and his inconsistency was really frustrating; he was good against bad teams, decent vs average teams, and awful against good teams.

Having him play on the tag two years in a row was awful management and sure he was the best we've had in a while but people seem to forget that those offenses were pretty stacked: they had a really good OL anchored by two Pro Bowlers in Trent and Scherff with solid starters like Moses and Long to fill in the gaps and they had a lot of talent at the skill positions with Garcon, Crowder, D Jax, Reed, Vernon Davis, Chris Thompson, etc. They also had guys like Sean McVay and Matt LaFleur coaching the offense who have done alright for themselves since their time in DC. Didn't help that Gruden was a shitty coach or that he was supremely bad at picking defensive coordinators but those teams definitely underperformed relative to the level of talent they had.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was definitely on the "don't pay Cousins" train after they blew the initial negotiations with him. For the original amount he requested it would have been a fair deal but in typical Redskins fashion they blew that opportunity and he wasn't worth any where near what he was commanding (or worth the franchise tag) once they screwed the pooch. He struggled to perform at a high level even with a lot of talent around him and his inconsistency was really frustrating; he was good against bad teams, decent vs average teams, and awful against good teams.

Having him play on the tag two years in a row was awful management and sure he was the best we've had in a while but people seem to forget that those offenses were pretty stacked: they had a really good OL anchored by two Pro Bowlers in Trent and Scherff with solid starters like Moses and Long to fill in the gaps and they had a lot of talent at the skill positions with Garcon, Crowder, D Jax, Reed, Vernon Davis, Chris Thompson, etc. They also had guys like Sean McVay and Matt LaFleur coaching the offense who have done alright for themselves since their time in DC. Didn't help that Gruden was a shitty coach or that he was supremely bad at picking defensive coordinators but those teams definitely underperformed relative to the level of talent they had.

lol....are you trying to spin it like Cousins was in kinda a good spot? ;)

for all the (few positives).....the swing the other way was way worse IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
lol....are you trying to spin it like Cousins was in kinda a good spot? ;)

for all the (few positives).....the swing the other way was way worse IMO.
Cousins WAS in a good spot. He had a stacked offense and great coaching. He thought the grass was greener and had an overinflated sense of how good he was and to me at least, I always got the sense he had a chip on his shoulder against the organization ever since Day 1 since he was drafted behind RGIII. It seemed like he wanted the organization to "make him whole" for his inconvenience of sitting behind Griffin and that negotiations were never truly in good faith, from either side. Cousins was a perfect example of how ego kills a good thing on both sides -- Cousins wanted more than he was worth and Allen was a shithead who made him feel under-appreciated. Remember the whole Kurt thing? What a f***ing asshole Allen was.

Finding a fair deal would have been better for everyone but of course Washington couldn't do the right thing. Allen had to "win" the negotiations because he was a tiny person inside so he did what he always did: took a promising situation, made everything worse, and firebombed those who opposed him on their way out.

Reactions: Eirikrautha
Sep 19, 2008
Bit disturbed tickets are 125 dollars on Seatgeek for next week's match.

We'll see if the market corrects itself and the prices lower closer to game time. Can't imagine too many people would be eager to watch a 2 win team battle a 1 win team to stay out of the basement.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Once again there is massive contrast between a statement by RR and a development just a few days later. Not good.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cousins WAS in a good spot. He had a stacked offense and great coaching. He thought the grass was greener and had an overinflated sense of how good he was and to me at least, I always got the sense he had a chip on his shoulder against the organization ever since Day 1 since he was drafted behind RGIII. It seemed like he wanted the organization to "make him whole" for his inconvenience of sitting behind Griffin and that negotiations were never truly in good faith, from either side. Cousins was a perfect example of how ego kills a good thing on both sides -- Cousins wanted more than he was worth and Allen was a shithead who made him feel under-appreciated. Remember the whole Kurt thing? What a f***ing asshole Allen was.

Finding a fair deal would have been better for everyone but of course Washington couldn't do the right thing. Allen had to "win" the negotiations because he was a tiny person inside so he did what he always did: took a promising situation, made everything worse, and firebombed those who opposed him on their way out.

lost me out of the gate sorry.....he had some decent weapons and specialty coaches....that’s it.

The rest was poison and toxicity. It’s a miracle he developed at all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bit disturbed tickets are 125 dollars on Seatgeek for next week's match.

We'll see if the market corrects itself and the prices lower closer to game time. Can't imagine too many people would be eager to watch a 2 win team battle a 1 win team to stay out of the basement.

don’t underestimate the desperation of some to get out of the house lol....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
lost me out of the gate sorry.....he had some decent weapons and specialty coaches....that’s it.

The rest was poison and toxicity. It’s a miracle he developed at all.
Lol he had weapons and coaching and a coach who believed in him to the extent that he stood up to Dan and benched his cash cow because he believed in Cousins but it's a miracle he developed at all? How do you figure? What else does someone need to develop? Multiple Pro-Bowlers protecting him not good enough? The best deep threat in football is just a decent weapon?

And some decent speciality coaches? Come on with that nonsense. He was coached by a Hall of Famer and three of the best and brightest young offensive minds in the game who are now head coaches that have been to multiple Super Bowls and Conference Championships in the few years since they left DC. Bruce stunk and created a terrible environment -- no arguments here -- but Cousins had everything he needed and more to be a success on the football field.

Sep 19, 2008
Cousins time was the best out of recent memory however Scot was also a GM. At the time his picks panned out but in historical perspective many also didn't pan out. Matt Jones and Josh Doctson for one. Preston Smith and Scherff were great picks, but that's it.

They were good enough to avoid a losing record. Who knows how good they would have been once all of the receiving targets left (Jackson / Garcon). Cousins with McLaruin would have been fun to watch though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Stop...look at yourself arguing that they were “good”.
They won the division one year (with an actual winning record :naughty:) and were a Kirk INT away from winning it again the next year... seems pretty decent at the least. And don’t act like you wouldn’t swap that offensive roster for this offensive roster in a second if you had the choice!

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
They won the division one year (with an actual winning record :naughty:) and were a Kirk INT away from winning it again the next year... seems pretty decent at the least. And don’t act like you wouldn’t swap that offensive roster for this offensive roster in a second if you had the choice!
I’m with you bro, I thought those teams were pretty good also. Djax, Garçon, crowder and Reed were fun to watch. Should have beat Green Bay that year, if we have our Dline on that team I think we win maybe a few playoff games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad