OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 13: 5th String QB Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bruce, Satan pick a name.....”they” includes Snyder and any of his hires....since the beginning of time pretty much.

We can nitpick over disliking Cousins who whoever or whatever else there is to blame.....but that is taking away from the real discussion IMO.

Cousins was only mentioned because he’s the best they could do in all that time. Minutia in the big picture.

I think they will continue to flounder, but RR is a credible coach and if he can get even a decent QB via free agency, he’ll at least contend for a first round win.....probably nothing more.

WFT needs their Ovechkin and they need him at QB IMO to turn this decades long crapfest around and win a Super Bowl.

It could be argued that RG3 was that Ovechkin pick but the dysfunction of the organization contributed to bring out the worst outcomes possible. I think this is why some are understandably skeptical about ANY concept of "savior through drafting" approach to QB. It may be correct. WFT might need a polished plug-and-play QB in order to go anywhere while Snyder is Emperor.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
RGMe was Fools Gold......HOF talent, flawed game and mindset.

(And nobody was happier when they drafted him, I was also fooled.)

They need a “Drew Brees” Free Agent type find....to win a championship....

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Well, it was Bruce that botched it.

However, Cousins has always had an inflated sense of self worth. He’s a middling QB at best, and wants to be paid like a top 5 guy.

I loathe Bruce and what he did to the franchise, but history is proving them right, with regard to now paying the ransom that Cousins wanted.

Vikings sure as heck aren’t happy with his play, and when you compare it to his ROI? Horribad.

Cousins wanted a 5 year 20 mil a year deal back in 2016. For a middling QB that was a good deal. Then think of a middling QB with Young and friends on defense right now? We could be having ourselves a season. You don’t let QBs you develop walk for nothing, period. Especially for a team like the Skins who haven’t successfully developed a QB since Ripen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
the team hasn’t had a really solid personnel guy since Casserly. And even he wasn’t great shakes.

I’m not sure I believe that McCloughan was all that good either. Least, not for the Skins. His picks sounded good at the time, but very few actually panned out. Now— you could easily blame the developmental aspects of the picks on the program (Gruden) and that wouldn’t be a bad argument. That said, very few of them worked out, and that has to pinned at the feet of GMSM.

Snyder picked some truly bad personnel men (Cerrato and Allen taking up the yeomans share of the time) so that is squarely on him.

I like the new regime. Their first draft seems solid, and things are arrowing up. It may be fools gold though.

and for the record, you brought up QBKC as a measure of success. I don’t think he is. So it actually bolsters your argument, IMO.

ultimately they all sucked....I brought up QBKC as their best measure of success in drafting a QB....as SHITTY as even he is now. That’s the best these slugs from hell could do!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cousins wanted a 5 year 20 mil a year deal back in 2016. For a middling QB that was a good deal. Then think of a middling QB with Young and friends on defense right now? We could be having ourselves a season. You don’t let QBs you develop walk for nothing, period. Especially for a team like the Skins who haven’t successfully developed a QB since Ripen.

we would have at least been in the mix for the Division in 3/5 of those years.....maybe make a few playoffs.....who knows.

people love to piss on Cousins, but when they could have had him at a reasonable price they shit the bed.

I called it then, it would set us back 10 years......we’re tracking just right IMO, because they are their own worst enemy in fixing the problem at QB.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
If everyone seems to agree to get a Veteran Qb via free agency what is the point of losing then? I’m personally really sick of losing and being a joke of a franchise, we have a great WR and Dline and it would suck to waste their primes to keep tanking for drafts. We just drafted a sure fire franchise pass rusher and though he’s been good he really hasn’t been a dominant game wrecker yet. It’s “fools gold” to get to the playoffs but I don’t see any other point in losing. We won’t get fields or Lawrence and I was all about losing out a few weeks again but the division sucks so bad they could actually win it.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
RGMe was Fools Gold......HOF talent, flawed game and mindset.

(And nobody was happier when they drafted him, I was also fooled.)

They need a “Drew Brees” Free Agent type find....to win a championship....

It's impossible to say. If RG3 was drafted into the Patriots or Ravens or Steelers franchise from the start the outcome may have been entirely different.

I don't think it's a coincidence that promising talents--even Offensive Rookie of the Year--end up busting before very long when the WFT stink is applied.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They have one....he just ruined his leg due to injury (Smith). Same could’ve happened to Cousins here. Had Smith never gotten hurt (who can foresee that?), it would be a very different discussion.....yes?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's impossible to say. If RG3 was drafted into the Patriots or Ravens or Steelers franchise from the start the outcome may have been entirely different.

I don't think it's a coincidence that promising talents--even Offensive Rookie of the Year--end up busting before very long when the WFT stink is applied.

yes it’s impossible.....I’ve seen enough to believe he might have been marginally better off elsewhere....still not a HOF talent.

Reactions: Bananas

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
we would have at least been in the mix for the Division in 3/5 of those years.....maybe make a few playoffs.....who knows.

people love to piss on Cousins, but when they could have had him at a reasonable price they shit the bed.

I called it then, it would set us back 10 years......we’re tracking just right IMO, because they are their own worst enemy in fixing the problem at QB.
Setting them back 10yrs when they’d been horribad for 20yrs wasn’t exactly a crazy call.

Just “being” will set them back each year, LOL

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If everyone seems to agree to get a Veteran Qb via free agency what is the point of losing then? I’m personally really sick of losing and being a joke of a franchise, we have a great WR and Dline and it would suck to waste their primes to keep tanking for drafts. We just drafted a sure fire franchise pass rusher and though he’s been good he really hasn’t been a dominant game wrecker yet. It’s “fools gold” to get to the playoffs but I don’t see any other point in losing. We won’t get fields or Lawrence and I was all about losing out a few weeks again but the division sucks so bad they could actually win it.

if losing still bothers you a lot, you haven’t suffered enough. ;)

I can’t even muster up disgust in a typical loss anymore.

They’re going nowhere without a field general. Until then, keep plugging away as pretenders....that’s their plan.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
[QUOTE="Ridley Simon, post: 174423265, member: 424"]Setting them back 10yrs when they’d been horribad for 20yrs wasn’t exactly a crazy call.

Just “being” will set them back each year, LOL[/QUOTE]

ohhhh but I was told differently here....

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006

we both/all know...if cousins stayed then, there’s no young now.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Letting Cousins walk for nothing was an absolute joke. Once it got into his final year it was a done deal though. Same goes for the return they got for Silverback.

The Redskins need to stop the bleeding but who is a FA QB that could really help? Last off-season it was Mariota/Newton/Winston/Dalton.

Is there someone out there you guys really want?

Reactions: Holtbyisms

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Could the Packers add on offense? A look at potential moves as trade deadline looms

upload_2020-11-1_8-21-30.png

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Letting Cousins walk for nothing was an absolute joke. Once it got into his final year it was a done deal though. Same goes for the return they got for Silverback.

The Redskins need to stop the bleeding but who is a FA QB that could really help? Last off-season it was Mariota/Newton/Winston/Dalton.

Is there someone out there you guys really want?
Some want Dak. I wasn’t into that idea last year or this summer. But I’m warming to it. Assuming he can actually play again.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They have one....he just ruined his leg due to injury (Smith). Same could’ve happened to Cousins here. Had Smith never gotten hurt (who can foresee that?), it would be a very different discussion.....yes?

A lot of ifs. If they don’t let Cousins walk there is no Smith and his leg injury. And if Cousins is still around then how does that factor into Gruden and draft order which means Young is in NY right now. I could go on. We could go on. It just sucks to play this game. So many poor decisions that snowball into shit. Very frustrating.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Some want Dak. I wasn’t into that idea last year or this summer. But I’m warming to it. Assuming he can actually play again.

He’d be a no-brainer addition, but what are the chances they could get him? My guess is slim and none.

Winston paired with a dominant D could win some games and buys time to search for a young replacement. He’s my second choice, but most likely doesn’t get them to the promised land, and just delays the inevitable: WFT needs a franchise QB.

Until they find one they won’t amount to much. And that’s been the case for a long, long time.

Reactions: max21

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

• When Washington benched QB Dwayne Haskins, it started the clock on his potential departure from the organization. While the WFT hasn't shopped its former first-round pick, this much is evident: If a team is looking for a high-ceiling QB to develop, Washington would part with him for the right price. As of now, that market has been relatively quiet. While Washington is open to dealing pass-rusher Ryan Anderson, it seems it is intent on keeping Ryan Kerrigan for all he means to the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->