Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals vs. Belleville Senators 2/26 7:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I absolutely disagree with the bold. If they don't make the Final they have made a mistake.

Knowing Panarin is leaving there is zero chance I make the Duchene trade unless I have to pen to paper on a new contract. I hate McPhee with a passion but at least he insisted on an extension before giving up a 1A defensive prospect.

But do you think there's a good chance Duchene would want to sign and play there? Dzingel has a connection to Columbus and he and Duchene seem to be friendly. They have a good goalie coming up through the ranks and some very good forwards and defence.
If Duchene is serious about wanting to sign with a quality team then he could do a lot worse than CBJ.
(Having said that, he's no Panarin and that's a hole they aren't likely to fill with one player. I guess that's why they've got Dzingel as well).

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Janet doesn’t work for us anymore
She was tired of getting paid with Senators 2017-18 schedule
On another note I cannot see a game tonight where you guys dont score at least a TD
Were that bad lol

Also rooting for you guys for the PO as usual when the Sens are not participating
Said at least a TD
Caps didnt disappoint me tonight
GG

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Forget the loading up part, imagine not making the playoffs or losing in the round one and NOT trading Panarin and/or Bobrovsky. I am still blown away they didn't move either of them.

"Own rental" is the dumbest term I have ever heard. Panarin said he is leaving, he was 100% honest, unlike pajama boy, and they still kept him, just moronic asset management.

This makes no sense. So when people on here were begging BMac to go after Panarin/Stone/Duchene, it was not moronic asset management. However, when Jackets don't trade Panarin away, it's moronic.

What's the difference? At the end of the day, either way you either have a player or some picks/prospects.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
No one will believe me but my buddy who was at the game with me, but when we were down 2-0 I told him we'd win 7-2.

Kuzy' wrist seemed fine in the 3rd, eh. Jensen looked good. Smooth fluid skater as advertised. Gonna have to come up with a stat that measures Hagelin's ability to generate, and not convert, grade A scoring chances.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I found that letter extremely cringe-worthy - I couldn't even finish reading it.

Edit: on a side note, I was actually surprised at how well Tavares writes

Definitely some over-sharing there, notwithstanding decent writing

Reactions: Heath

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This makes no sense. So when people on here were begging BMac to go after Panarin/Stone/Duchene, it was not moronic asset management. However, when Jackets don't trade Panarin away, it's moronic.

What's the difference? At the end of the day, either way you either have a player or some picks/prospects.

I was never rooting for that. I am a huge advocate of building your team through good drafting and smart acquisitions. Like the Hawks, Pens and the Caps have done recently.

However, if last season Carlson had said, I'm not re-signing here I want to go back to Jersey and play, I would have been 100% on board with BMac getting a first and a decent prospect for him.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but nobody thought the Caps were gonna win the Cup, just as I don't believe the Jackets are winning the Cup this season.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Oshie is easily one of my favorite Caps players. The best part is he was traded for one of my least favorite Caps. God damn what were the Blues thinking?

2011-2015 Troy Brouwer was 10th in hits overall -- the Blues traded for a real beast.

baby-bear-pictures3.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I absolutely disagree with the bold. If they don't make the Final they have made a mistake.

Knowing Panarin is leaving there is zero chance I make the Duchene trade unless I have to pen to paper on a new contract. I hate McPhee with a passion but at least he insisted on an extension before giving up a 1A defensive prospect.

Depends entirely on what their goals are. They have never won a playoff series. They stood to lose their two best players without having won a single playoff series. If they can manage just one win, they payback the fan base with the promise that hump has been cleared. The fans will then be more patient as they retool.
I see your point of view and think that missing the playoffs or losing in the first round again will be a devastating blow to the franchise. I just don't think as a team that has never won a round in the playoffs that they are cup finals or bust.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
It's no secret hitting ramps up the energy. Fans go crazy, when our guy gets hit, you hear the ooohs and aaahh.... its like a steroid shot for our boys. We need a wake up call. Someone has to show they give a **** before the others will join in. It used to be Ovi, unbridled enthusiasm hitting everyone every game, but he was a 1 man show. Its now nice to have others that can lead... instead of everyone watching and waiting for him to provide ALL the energy himself. Talk about a load he carried on his back until we got Oshie, Willy, Orpik etc.
When Trotz arrived this team became a hitting machine..remember his 1st playoff series against the Isles? It was a 7 game war.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I was never rooting for that. I am a huge advocate of building your team through good drafting and smart acquisitions. Like the Hawks, Pens and the Caps have done recently.

However, if last season Carlson had said, I'm not re-signing here I want to go back to Jersey and play, I would have been 100% on board with BMac getting a first and a decent prospect for him.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but nobody thought the Caps were gonna win the Cup, just as I don't believe the Jackets are winning the Cup this season.

OK, I see. I thought you were one of 'get Stone at any cost' people.

Still, you must realize that if we did trade Carlson in your hypothetical situation, we wouldn't have the Cup. Between the Cup and a bunch of draft picks, I side firmly with the former. I see how doing 'own rentals' is risky but I don't think it's moronic.

Everyone is a genius with the benefit of hindsight but that's not available to a GM. Sometimes, you gotta take a chance.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am amazed Panarin and / or Bobrovsky weren't traded. Maybe the asking price was too high and a deal couldn't be completed.

Getting Duchene and Dzingel makes no sense if you then trade Panarin and Bob. Either buy or sell. Once they bought Duchene it was clear to me that they were keeping the other two

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I found that letter extremely cringe-worthy - I couldn't even finish reading it.

Edit: on a side note, I was actually surprised at how well Tavares writes. I mean it's not Capote or anything, but I always figured hockey players tended more towards being illiterate buffoons.
I'm sure he had a publicist write the letter after he transpired the text.

Reactions: Heath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad