Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals vs. Belleville Senators 2/26 7:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Honestly, I am not a fan of Walton on the radio. When I am away from home on the road I listen to the games on the radio. His description of the play is awful. He regularly is talking his show prep while the play is on and doesn't describe the game. Conversely on television with NBC now, where he is not his own boss, he is quite effective.
My main complain about him is his voice. Just... not the voice I can stand to listen for 2+ hours straight.:help:

Sep 19, 2008
Watch nearly every away game on NBCSN and usually at every home game so almost never hear Walton unless I'm in the bathroom in the Capital One Arena

He's decent

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
Justin Williams is the best case scenario.

For every Justin Williams you have ten Backes, Simmonds, Benn, Perry, Brown, Callahan, etc.

TJ has better hands than those guys so he'll remain a PP contributor for longer though.

Jun 15, 2007
True. Looking at it now they gave up a 2020 2nd rounder.

But MAF was 32 then, had 3 rings, and just helped them win their 2nd of back to back championships by eliminating us and Columbus. Plus 30+ year old goalies are seen a little different. We would have to pay more for them to take 34 year old Oshie, but why would we as long as hes somewhat still effective? If not, it would cost an arm and a leg and by then its just cost prohibitive.

The MAF scenario is different because they had Matt Murray who had just won back to back Stanley Cups. If they didn't find a taker for MAF, they'd be spending 5.75m on a backup goalie which is just never a smart move.

There's always a need for wingers, so I think Seattle doesn't need too much urging to take him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My main complain about him is his voice. Just... not the voice I can stand to listen for 2+ hours straight.:help:

I ran radio station programming for 25 years. I am more critical than the typical to be fair. I don't want to be hearing a stat report on someone's point streak or goals against average over the last 20 games and in the middle of the thought hear the crowd roar the Walton say "They SCORE". That doesn't do it for me.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The MAF scenario is different because they had Matt Murray who had just won back to back Stanley Cups. If they didn't find a taker for MAF, they'd be spending 5.75m on a backup goalie which is just never a smart move.

There's always a need for wingers, so I think Seattle doesn't need too much urging to take him.

Here are the 30+ year old players that Vegas selected due to trades and their compensations:

Chris Thorburn RW, 33 at that time (Winnipeg) - 2017 1st rounder (13th overall) + 2019 3rd rounder

Jason Garrison LD, 32 (Tampa Bay) - 2017 2nd rounder + Pittsburgh 2018 4th rounder + Nikita Gusev

Clayton Stoner LD, 32 (Anaheim) - Shea Theodore

Marc Andre-Fleury G, 32 (Pittsburgh) - 2020 2nd rounder

Reactions: Silky mitts

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What kind of rebuild you can expect?

Caps drafted the goalie and seemingly a whole defense already. They have mentoring capable dmen in place too who can last as long as 5-6 more years easily.

Kuzy, Wilson, Vrana are here.

They need to upgrade Eller in 3-4 years down the road. For younger quality center who is capable to play 2C hopefully.

And some wingers. They can totally compete in 5 years from now.

Reactions: artilector

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Justin Williams is the best case scenario.

For every Justin Williams you have ten Backes, Simmonds, Benn, Perry, Brown, Callahan, etc.

TJ has better hands than those guys so he'll remain a PP contributor for longer though.
Name those ten. (some of those guys aren't comparable and some I'd be perfectly happy with down the line)

Sep 19, 2008
madison-bowey-red-wings-74.jpg

Jun 15, 2007
Name those ten. (some of those guys aren't comparable and some I'd be perfectly happy with down the line)

Well I reject your comparison in the first place. Justin Williams is really shifty and elusive. He's really good at avoiding hits. Oshie doesn't even try to avoid hits, he tries to counterhit back.

Have you changed your mind on Bowey, by the way? We had a long argument about it before where you were certain he was gonna be a top 4 defenseman and I was certain he wasn't.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well I reject your comparison in the first place. Justin Williams is really shifty and elusive. He's really good at avoiding hits. Oshie doesn't even try to avoid hits, he tries to counterhit back.

Have you changed your mind on Bowey, by the way? We had a long argument about it before where you were certain he was gonna be a top 4 defenseman and I was certain he wasn't.
So you can't name them, I take it. Oshie is nothing if not elusive and shifty. That he tries to initiate physical play doesn't change that.

We never had any such argument on Bowey.

Jun 15, 2007
So you can't name them, I take it. Oshie is nothing if not elusive and shifty. That he tries to initiate physical play doesn't change that.

We never had any such argument on Bowey.

If I listed 10, you would just nitpick the list. So I'll just pre-empt that by disagreeing with your JW comparison in the first place.

Okay, my mistake on the Bowey thing.

That he tries to initiate physical play doesn't change that.

Well it does because that's exactly what will make Oshie decline faster.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What kind of rebuild you can expect?

Caps drafted the goalie and seemingly a whole defense already. They have mentoring capable dmen in place too who can last as long as 5-6 more years easily.

Kuzy, Wilson, Vrana are here.

They need to upgrade Eller in 3-4 years down the road. For younger quality center who is capable to play 2C hopefully.

And some wingers. They can totally compete in 5 years from now.

Maybe for a playoff spot. 8,19, 70 will be hard to replace. They will regress as a team at some point.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I, too, cringe at every hard hit oshie takes. I’d hate to see his career cut short due to melon issues.

As for Doc....those old enough to remember....he along with Clement Clement hands of cement, were the Madden/Summerall on espn when they had hockey in the mid 80s. That’s was the first I heard him and I enjoyed his calling of games. Still do. I also like the fact he’s an admitted fight fan.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Maybe for a playoff spot. 8,19, 70 will be hard to replace. They will regress as a team at some point.

I think the Caps have a pretty damn good chance to keep rolling, like Raik said. Defense (and D prospects) looks solid/great, Holtby-Samsonov is tricky but good, Vrana-Kuz-Wilson is a nice forward core, Caps have kept their 1st round picks.

That's a great foundation, if Ovi/Backstrom/Holtby leave (freeing up a lot of cap space) or re-sign deals in line with expected future performance. And BMac certainly looks capable.

Reactions: Silky mitts

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Caps have a pretty damn good chance to keep rolling, like Raik said. Defense (and D prospects) looks solid/great, Holtby-Samsonov is tricky but good, Vrana-Kuz-Wilson is a nice forward core, Caps have kept their 1st round picks.

That's a great foundation, if Ovi/Backstrom/Holtby leave (freeing up a lot of cap space) or re-sign deals in line with expected future performance. And BMac certainly looks capable.

Sure maybe they’re a playoff team with that core. Depends on how Kuzy feels like playing largely IMO.

From my perspective, they’re going to struggle mightily barring a couple of draft steals that turn into all star level guys. Then it’s back to signing free agents at market price to sustain yourself.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

The key to remaining successful is not to find another Ovi, there won't be one of those, but to find a solid 1st line W and 2nd line C with either UFA when its needed, or a mid/late first round pick in the next couple years. If the latter fails then the former will be the approach.

But why are we talking about rebuild in the middle of a Cup defense with a roster perfectly balanced with older vets and younger studs? Can't we just live in the moment :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure maybe they’re a playoff team with that core. Depends on how Kuzy feels like playing largely IMO.

From my perspective, they’re going to struggle mightily barring a couple of draft steals that turn into all star level guys. Then it’s back to signing free agents at market price to sustain yourself.

I am having a real hard time projecting. I would have thought Ov would be sliding by now. This may be his best season yet. Kuzy and Backstrom are going to be good for a while and I think he I going to be a special aging stage player. So....I don't know. How good can Vrana be? Is Wilson going to become a total game dominant player? If Tom Wilson is a 30 goal scorer season after season, I don't see the team falling off that much.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am having a real hard time projecting. I would have thought Ov would be sliding by now. This may be his best season yet. Kuzy and Backstrom are going to be good for a while and I think he I going to be a special aging stage player. So....I don't know. How good can Vrana be? Is Wilson going to become a total game dominant player? If Tom Wilson is a 30 goal scorer season after season, I don't see the team falling off that much.

Since you missed the premise, this was discussed as after 8, 19, 70 are gone.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

I think last year's miracle run has skewed the perception of this Caps' team true strength and the real odds of winning even for a good team. The current core had perennial 2nd round exits until it went on a crazy run (esp. against Tampa) and won the Cup. I think the next core can quite realistically reach the level of (at least) perennial 1st/2nd round exits until it goes on a miracle run and reaches the finals, let's say. And that wouldn't be a huge drop-off.

Already with guys like Samsonov, Alexeyev, there's good potential for young guys performing well on cheap contracts. It would probably be a lesser miracle than what Vrana and especially Wilson provided last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad