Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals vs. Belleville Senators 2/26 7:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think last year's miracle run has skewed the perception of this Caps' team true strength and the real odds of winning even for a good team. The current core had perennial 2nd round exits until it went on a crazy run (esp. against Tampa) and won the Cup. I think the next core can quite realistically reach the level of (at least) perennial 1st/2nd round exits until it goes on a miracle run and reaches the finals, let's say. And that wouldn't be a huge drop-off.

Already with guys like Samsonov, Alexeyev, there's good potential for young guys performing well on cheap contracts. It would probably be a lesser miracle than what Vrana and especially Wilson provided last year.

I think at best immediately after 8, 19, 70 are gone, they at best will be a team that struggles to make the playoffs, at worst they’ll miss. Time will tell. They’ll need to find some all star level talent to plug huge gaping roster holes. Lots can happen to prospects between now and then.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think at best immediately after 8, 19, 70 are gone, they at best will be a team that struggles to make the playoffs, at worst they’ll miss. Time will tell. They’ll need to find some all star level talent to plug huge gaping roster holes. Lots can happen to prospects between now and then.

Ok... but then already this year, they're not exactly far from "struggling to make playoffs"...
But I'll agree with you on this point -- that when you have to replace/re-sign aging stars, there's definitely significant potential for things to go wrong.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok... but then already this year, they're not exactly far from "struggling to make playoffs"...
But I'll agree with you on this point -- that when you have to replace/re-sign aging stars, there's definitely significant potential for things to go wrong.

This season is an outlier because of last.

This roster is not a roster that should even sniff missing the playoffs and I don’t really think they have, even underperforming by our recent standards...

I actually lean towards putting my blind faith in GMBM, but some guys will leave gaping holes. No way around it IMO.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Interesting to find a team tied for the division lead is also struggling to make the playoffs.

Firstly, read what I wrote again and see if your brain can process the "not exactly far" part of it on second try.
Secondly, get a good night of sleep, take some vitamins, look up the dictionary entry for "parity", then open up NHL standings table, look at it, and try to think.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Firstly, read what I wrote again and see if your brain can process the "not exactly far" part of it on second try.
Secondly, get a good night of sleep, take some vitamins, look up the dictionary entry for "parity", then open up NHL standings table, look at it, and try to think.

Wow touchy....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Dude....wow.
Whatever you say, Brah. Your's is a superior intellect. :bow::bow::bow:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Dude....wow.

"Dude", it's been like 10 years of you commenting on posts that you haven't actually bothered to read.

edit: yes, that's exactly what I am -- a "superior intellect", primarily on account of my ability to read NHL standings tables and tie my own shoelaces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad