GDT: wascar

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Oh, I don't think the fight was dirty. And, it would have actually been hella funny / cool if Svech didn't get this soul punched out him. :/

But that did happen. So--along with my ever-growing dislike for fights in the first place-- I will enjoy my irrational hatred of Ovi as a player (not a person).

And, as far as the team, anytime you see a rookie teammate get slaughtered like that -- it really doesn't matter how it came about; you just react. Which is what they did. And I'm all for it. Hoping it's the turning point on the way to a series win. but either way I'll always look fondly back at how they finished this game.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
rod on svech fight.png

#SvechEndGame

giphy.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Also: that was a perfectly fair fight.

It's also the perfect example of why it should be banned from the sport. We know too much about traumatic brain injury. We've already taken head shots out of the game, but we tell ourselves that fighting is still ok? Even though guys like Probert and Boogaard and Montador have all died young as a result of fighting? It's toxic masculinity bull****. Enough is enough.

It's a fair fight when one guy punches the other one first and unexpectedly? It's a fair fight when one guy keeps on punching even while the other one is already going down and then keeps on ramming it into the ice with max weight?
Don't think you'd want to be on the receiving end of such a "perfectly fair" fight.

This is a fair fight. Johns stops as soon as McGinn goes down. Had he thrown one more punch or even leaned in there like Ovi did to make sure that McGinn's head hits the ice hard, McGinn would have suffered a nice little concussion, too.

Reactions: FaulkYouAho

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
What a great way to start my day.

You guys sounded great in the arena, very jealous. The guys played a game worthy of the occasion.

We absolutely dominated them. The NBC announcer on Saturday said in the first period that we looked like we didn't belong in the playoffs. I wonder what he thought last night.

Hope Svech is okay. This series has been a real coming of age for him so far.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's a fair fight when one guy punches the other one first and unexpectedly? It's a fair fight when one guy keeps on punching even while the other one is already going down and then keeps on ramming it into the ice with max weight?
Don't think you'd want to be on the receiving end of such a "perfectly fair" fight.

None of what you described happened in the OV/Svechnikov fight.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
My opinion on Ferland has gone 180*. Trade his glass ass for whatever you can get.

Before the trade deadline I was in the "just sign him" camp. Now, nope. Let him walk. If he can't play 10 games in a row without walking down the tunnel early, he's not worth much more than about $2.5 per.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah. And Svechnikov got injured as a member of the Russian army while fighting Chechen rebels:sarcasm:

No, he got injured because he was knocked out in a fight that he agreed to participate in.

There was no sucker punch you described, nor was there any ramming heads into the ice. At most, OV threw 1 extra punch as Svech was going down, but he already had that one in motion as it was happening.

I hate, hate, hate that Svech is injured in a fight he really shouldn't have been participating in in the first place, but trying to villify OV for what happened doesn't make a lot of sense if you step back and look at it logically.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ears are still ringing this morning. Best game I've been at in a long, long, time to the point where I almost forgot how much fun playoff hockey was. Only downer was clearly the Svech fight which happened right in front of us. Won't get into that as others have already covered it.

Foegele was a man on a mission last night. Always in the action, skating hard, planted himself in front of the net like a power forward multiple times, made some great plays on D, etc.. If McGinn would have looked up, he could have hit Foegele for another 2 break-aways but missed him both times early in the game. Other than that, hard to complain.

I expect the Caps to come back with a much more aggressive and physical game next game so the Canes need to keep their composure. Will be interesting to see who they call up. I'm guessing at this point in the season, the Canes will call up a "grit" guy like Patrick Brown and the board will go nuts over that.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Foegele was a man on a mission last night. Always in the action, skating hard, planted himself in front of the net like a power forward multiple times, made some great plays on D, etc.. If McGinn would have looked up, he could have hit Foegele for another 2 break-aways but missed him both times early in the game. Other than that, hard to complain.

Indeed. Foegele was unbelievable last night. He looked like a star player all night long. He could have easily scored another goal - Holtby had a stellar save on one of Foegele's breakaways. Foegele has always had a killer work ethic all year. Last night, he actually had good decision-making with the puck. He held onto it, he deked past defenders, he passed it when he was pressured, he waited to make plays. There wasn't the panic I'm accustomed to seeing with him. If he can figure it out, we have more than an Andrew Cogliano. I don't want to make a comparison and be let down, but tonight showed that Foegele perhaps could have what it take to get top 6 forward skill. That's huge. Don't knock he is a rookie and he just turned 23.

Holtby I thought was actually very good last night. I also noticed Nick Jensen positively, and, as much as I hate to say it, Brooks Orpik. Aside from that, the Caps completely gave up in the 2nd and 3rd periods. It was ridiculous, outrageous domination by the Canes. It wasn't close. Mrazek faced maybe 3 scoring chances all night. OK, Naturalstattrick says they had 4 high danger and we had 14. But yeah, what I loved to see most was we completely got in the Caps' heads. They couldn't get the puck out of their zone, they played so ludicrously slow, they stopped forechecking us and started camping out in the neutral zone, they couldn't stop our zone entries, they reacted slow after our hitting, and they made blind passes.

We needed a game like this. We needed not just to beat them, but to be the vastly superior team. Now this will motivate the Caps perhaps to play harder in game 4, but at the same time, it shows them that we can beat them. So far I've not been impressed with the Caps' WILL to win, aside from a few players (Holtby, Orpik, Backstrom, Jensen, maybe one or two others). We'll see what they are made of in game 4. Thank God there are 2 games off because our players must be dragging today. I hope no practice, just a full day off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00