GDT: wascar

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Svech, Foegs and Hamilton are pretty close friends. Interesting.

I knew they were friends, but I don't I think I realized to what extent. That makes them both scoring two goals even more touching. I'm not crying, you're crying.

tenor.gif

A couple of quotes from an article (won't post more than that to respect the site rules):

It’s safe to assume he never wanted to be a villain or a hero. He’d prefer his close friendships with Canes rookies Andrei Svechnikov and Warren Foegele weren’t some juicy storyline, but the three are very close friends, and suddenly that means everything.

“It’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to go through on the ice,” he told The Athletic postgame. “I don’t really even know what to say. I just kept thinking of him the whole game. I just hated seeing that. I hated the whole part of it. I just feel so bad for him. Hopefully, he gets better soon. The game doesn’t really matter when something like that happens. You just can’t get that out of your head. I just hope he’s OK.”
Svechnikov scored two goals in Game 1. Hamilton and Foegele returned the favor with two apiece in front of a finally sold-out PNC Arena.
“It’s an unfortunate incident there, but that’s our brother,” Foegele said. “We stand up for each other. We knew we needed to get this win not just for us, but for him … he’s one of my best friends.”

ETA: obviously I'm new to this forum. Do we have a nickname for this Trio of Jerks?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jouni Nieminen, popular finnish hockey expert and blogger writes "Svechnikov's first playoff spring is over".

This worries me a little bit. Is it just his opinion how these thinga usually end up or does he know something?

I want news so badly. Be it positive or negative, I just want to know.

He's clearly concussed. Hard to predict brain injuries because it's different for every person. Still, hard to believe he's going to be available any time in the next week and the first round ends in 8 days so unless they progress to round 2, it could be over.

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
He's clearly concussed. Hard to predict brain injuries because it's different for every person. Still, hard to believe he's going to be available any time in the next week and the first round ends in 8 days so unless they progress to round 2, it could be over.
Well we shall see him play on round 2 then.

Amateurish from Jouni's part.

Reactions: Tryamw

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
First time I've ever been in the fan tunnel was last night before the 3rd. Everyone looked very hyped, except for Hamilton who looked like someone just ran over his dog. It was weird at the time, but a bit touching knowing afterwards that he said Svech was on his mind the whole game.

Best part of last night's game was that there was fewer opposing fans than I have ever seen. Maybe 1 in 20 in a Caps, many of them with a group dressed in Canes gear.

Playoffs came to Raleigh and the people of Raleigh filled the building on the first night. I fully expected half Capitals fans. Really proud of the fans.

hey i was in the fan tunnel before the 3rd also

small world eh

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Didn't see this last night. Svechnikov's brother threatening Ovi after the fight.

YUP. Is it ridiculous? Yes. But as someone who has three siblings that she is fiercely close to and protective of I can't blame the guy. At the very least, whenever poor Andrei can think clearly again :):laughs and cries at the same time ::, he should know how loved he is ::

Also, here's a throwback video in honor of Three Bastards :sarcasm:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, I'm surprised nobody has chicken wing'd Ovi's head going across the ice to this point in his career. He's always been a dirty player, but the league overlooks it because he's a star. That doesn't mean he hasn't been taking liberties with the well being of opponents his entire career.

I'm really surprised nobody has just taken a run at him to legitimately knock him out for a while.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean, I'm surprised nobody has chicken wing'd Ovi's head going across the ice to this point in his career. He's always been a dirty player, but the league overlooks it because he's a star. That doesn't mean he hasn't been taking liberties with the well being of opponents his entire career.

I'm really surprised nobody has just taken a run at him to legitimately knock him out for a while.

He's an absolute tank who is also a great skater. Not many guys that can take a run at him without coming out worse for it.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
In hindsight they should have

1) let Svech fight a time or 2 in the regular season when things were not so heated and/ or:
2) taught him how to fight - at least as far as protecting his face / not falling backwards goes.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

1) let Svech fight a time or 2 in the regular season when things were not so heated and/ or:
2) taught him how to fight - at least as far as protecting his face / not falling backwards goes.

I'm fairly certain Rod didn't want his 18 (now 19) year old #2OA pick fighting at all, particularly as a rookie and even more so not taking on a beast like Ovi.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Of course in my fantastical fan heart, I'd love for him to charge back into this round. But, realistically and for his health and career, I really don't expect to see him back this round if at all this season. That being said, I'm not a medical expert lol and know very little about concussions (as I grew up playing girls tennis, basketball, soccer --which, the way we played anyway lol, didn't lead to many head injuries) --so maybe they'll be a better prognosis. Just hope the kid's okay.

I'm fairly certain Rod didn't want his 18 (now 19) year old #2OA pick fighting at all, particularly as a rookie and even more so not taking on a beast like Ovi.

THIS. I won't turn this into "should fighting still exist in hockey debate", but regardless of your stance, no way you want to see a rookie like him getting into fights like that--let alone with a guy who 50 plus pounds and about a decade on him.

Also, again, not calling Ovi dirty or anything, but it does tick me off that this was apparently literally his first fight in like 10 years. Hope he feels real tough knocking this guy out. /smh.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Heart-broken for 37...regardless of who is viewed as the challenger/aggressor, he shouldn't have fought.

Short term the kid has to be in some serious discomfort...long-term this could have significant impacts on his health/confidence/performance.

Great game and atmosphere...love to see it back again...but for me it was over-shadowed by what happened in the fight.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Cut to the offseason montage where Svech spends 50% of his days with a boxing coach, marking off days until the next Capitals game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The amount of muscles you have won't save you from a blindside elbow to the temple.

You have to be able to catch him. You probably would need to be at least 6'4"+ to give him an elbow to the temple. You have to be willing to be suspended for a long time if you give him a blind-side elbow to the temple.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Agree - but you could see during the regular season that Svech wanted to fight and an eventual fight would be inevitable. Need to at least prepare for it

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Agree - but you could see during the regular season that Svech wanted to fight and an eventual fight would be inevitable. Need to at least prepare for it

Well, hopefully he's learned now that he doesn't need to, nor should he fight. Ovi hasn't fought since 2010 and had only 3(?) fights up to this point in his career. I don't care if the Caps were prodding Svech, he shouldn't have dropped the gloves and paid a price for doing so. I also think there really isn't much "preparing" you can do when you take on a guy that is that much bigger and stronger than you.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Well, hopefully he's learned now that he doesn't need to, nor should he fight. Ovi hasn't fought since 2010 and had only 3(?) fights up to this point in his career. I don't care if the Caps were prodding Svech, he shouldn't have dropped the gloves and paid a price for doing so. I also think there really isn't much "preparing" you can do when you take on a guy that is that much bigger and stronger than you.
You can learn how to defend your face from direct hits. He would have still been beat - and still should have not dropped the gloves against someone that much bigger than him, but it would have been different

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Agreed. He's a star that can play with power, not a power forward. Marian Hossa, not Jarome Iginla.

He has the size and strength that he could be a very good fighter in the future if he wanted. But shouldn't want to. The same could be said of a young Ovy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->