Was Morgan Rielly jobbed out of 2019 Norris nomination?

Was Morgan Rielly Jobbed Out Of 2019 Norris Nomination?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
226AAA79-99FD-4A3D-B0D3-712BB729FFFD.png
E8FC10C5-B89C-4ADD-8A94-70BE2CE72F85.png

In case anyone is curious.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Does it really matter anyways? Neither Rielly or Hedman are gonna win it. Everyone has their own rankings.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Why is it always a controversy when a leaf doesent get nominated for an Award or the all star game like with marner and Reilly there too. For the record I think both deserved to go but that’s the format so....marner deserved it more then skinner

Other players are getting passed over like John Carlson who’s probably deserved to be nominated two or three times now..

Reilly had an incredible year but let’s not go nuts

Reactions: kudymen

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I said it multiple times throughout the season, that whether their logic is flawed or not, the tendencies of the voters must be taken in to consideration and they don’t award this trophy to guys playing under 23 mins a game. They never have for as long as I can remember.

This is a completely different topic than whether or not Rielly played Norris calibre D throughout the year. I personally think and expressed that I felt he did but based on the tendencies of the voters alone, I didn’t see him near the top of thier voting lists.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I mean you could make a good, good argument for both Hedman or Reilly. I wouldn't go as far to say he got snubbed, so I voted no, but it's not like he'd be out of place as a finalist either.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said it multiple times throughout the season, that whether their logic is flawed or not, the tendencies of the voters must be taken in to consideration and they don’t award this trophy to guys playing under 23 mins a game. They never have for as long as I can remember.

This is a completely different topic than whether or not Rielly played Norris calibre D throughout the year. I personally think and expressed that I felt he did but based on the tendencies of the voters alone, I didn’t see him near the top of thier voting lists.
What about the fact that the voters didn't make the leading goal scorer among defenseman this year a finalist?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It seems like scoring 20 goals and leading all defensemen in goals wasn’t quite a big deal in 2011 when Dustin Byfuglien did it and finished 7th in Norris voting. Where was the outrage then?
I honestly don't remember why anyone did not make a big deal about Byfuglien not being a Norris finalist that year. However I thought at that time he was still a forward, although I guess I'm wrong about that since you brought his name up with the Norris. However maybe it also had to do with him only getting a total of 53 points, where as this season along with his 20 goals, Rielly also had 52 assists for 72 total points. Those numbers were also much better than what Victor Hedman got this year and for some reason he's a finalist.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I honestly don't remember why anyone did not make a big deal about Byfuglien not being a Norris finalist that year. However I thought at that time he was still a forward, although I guess I'm wrong about that since you brought his name up with the Norris. However maybe it also had to do with him only getting a total of 53 points, where as this season along with his 20 goals, Rielly also had 52 assists for 72 total points. Those numbers were also much better than what Victor Hedman got this year and for some reason he's a finalist.
Think of it what you want, but Hedman's missed games kinda makes his totals look weaker than they are.
Another matter that missed games usually is not a great idea to win the Norris with.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I usually complain when the Leafs get special treatment... but I don't understand how Rielly got snubbed.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh wow, Kadri says so, so it must be real.

He's a source of intelligent thought and reason, after all.
I know Kadri is not popular on here among fans of other teams besides the Maple Leafs, however he didn't say anything wrong and all he did was mention how one of his teammates got snubbed of being a Norris Trophy finalist, which he should have been based on his stats in the regular season.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Neither Hedman or Reilly deserved it. John Carlson should have been the third nomination. Got screwed over last year and again this year.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Being a Finalist is just an abstract thing. Its not like they choose 3 guys and a jury decides The winner out of them. He might have Been 4th. who knows. Its not a blasthemy he wasnt top 3. Though he wouldve Been More deserving than Hedman, but so did few other guys. Didn't get jobbed or robbed IMO

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
when was the last time a defenseman scored 20 goals without being a Norris finalist?

Including Reilly, it's happened 15 times in the 21st century - not quite once per season, but pretty close:
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson, both in 2015 and 2016
  • Shea Weber, both in 2009 and 2016
  • Mark Giordano in 2016
  • Erik Karlsson in 2014
  • Dustin Byfuglien in 2011
  • Sheldon Souray, both in 2007 and 2009
  • Dan Boyle in 2007
  • Dion Phaneuf in 2006
  • Mathieu Schneider in 2006
  • Sergei Gonchar in 2002
  • Brian Leetch in 2001
That being said - my guess is Reilly finished 4th. We'll find out in June.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad