Was Morgan Rielly jobbed out of 2019 Norris nomination?

Was Morgan Rielly Jobbed Out Of 2019 Norris Nomination?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lol that's good that you got offended like that... 'guys like Giordano and Rielly' refers to guys that are great offensively AND defensively. There was no demerit given towards scoring in any way, shape or form. Thanks for the reply though

Brent Burns is a better defensive player than Morgan Rielly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lol that's good that you got offended like that... 'guys like Giordano and Rielly' refers to guys that are great offensively AND defensively. There was no demerit given towards scoring in any way, shape or form. Thanks for the reply though

I don't think you understood my post. "Guys like Giordano and Rielly" is only a category if you are describing defencemen who topped 70 pts this year, the same category that Brent Burns is in. Rielly and Burns are not in Giordano's neighborhood defensively, and not remotely close to it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Who cares, Giordano will win it, doesn't matter who the other two finalists are.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I don't think you understood my post. "Guys like Giordano and Rielly" is only a category if you are describing defencemen who topped 70 pts this year, the same category that Brent Burns is in. Rielly and Burns are not in Giordano's neighborhood defensively, and not remotely close to it.
And by reading that post, I don't think you understood my post. 'Guys like Gio and Rielly' are, in my opinion, not just 70pt players, but 70pt players that play good-great defensive games as well. And again, in my opinion, that is not a category that Burns falls under

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Ah yes, the players, the ones who don't get paid to follow hockey for a living. Mark Scheifele is considered a hockey nut for following the league, and he knows the league about as well as your average league-wide reporter. Many players, if asked to list the best players in the league, will name guys who haven't even been near the top in years. They don't follow the league as closely as you might think, and the Hedman nod is good evidence of that. Tampa fans would have picked McDonagh.

Way to lie about another fanbases opinion. Alot of us thought McD was better to start the seasons as his D was better, but no one still thinks this. the overwhelming majority of Tampa fans think Hedman was better on both ends now that the season is over

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
It’s not a big secret that I HATE basically everything about the leafs.

Having said that.....Reilly should have gotten a nomination here

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How is it this lopsided

Because it isn't just about points.

Rielly isn't good enough defensively. Straight up. On top of that, his offensive numbers are greatly boosted by an unsustainable start. As an example, 9 of those 20 goals that are being brought up were scored in the first 20 games. After that, his numbers started to drop. I haven't actually calculated those numbers after his hot start, but I suspect they fall under the "quite good, but not Norris-worthy" and it would be ridiculous to say he's Norris-worthy on the defensive side. When it really comes down to it, I think Rielly started very strong, but it was clear he wasn't able to maintain the offense that drew so much attention early in the season and his defensive game just wasn't good enough to make up for that.

As someone else said: He would have been jobbed if the voting had taken place early in the season. It wasn't, and the Norris isn't awarded for 1/4 of the regular season. As it is, he'll still finish strong in voting, but I don't think he was one of the three best defensemen in the game from the start of the season until the end. He was only in that discussion for the early part of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taluss

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Way to lie about another fanbases opinion. Alot of us thought McD was better to start the seasons as his D was better, but no one still thinks this. the overwhelming majority of Tampa fans think Hedman was better on both ends now that the season is over

I'm not lying, there's Tampa fans right now saying they thought McD had the better year.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Rielly isn't good enough defensively. Straight up. On top of that, his offensive numbers are greatly boosted by an unsustainable start. As an example, 9 of those 20 goals that are being brought up were scored in the first 20 games. After that, his numbers started to drop. I haven't actually calculated those numbers after his hot start, but I suspect they fall under the "quite good, but not Norris-worthy" and it would be ridiculous to say he's Norris-worthy on the defensive side.

Full season 5v5 his individual sh% was 8.1, close to double his career average. his on ice sh% was 11.5 well above what's sustainable. So while he put up a very solid 1.6 P/60 without the elevated shooting percentages he's probably down near the ~1.0 P/60 range he's been at for most of his career.

I don't see anything obviously unsustainable in his PP numbers, but lets face in terms of how important he is to the Leafs PP he's forth behind Marner, Tavares and Matthews. He'll keep producing but a lot of it is that he's in a favorable situation. Green's big years in Washington are probably a pretty fair comparison in terms of getting points on a PP he wasn't driving, being just ok offensively at 5v5 and not great defensively.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not lying, there's Tampa fans right now saying they thought McD had the better year.
There's a lot of people with wrong opinions in this world. I don't see why that's relevant.

If you watched the Lightning's season, McDonagh had an incredibly strong first 20 (especially because Hedman was dinged up - McD stepped up big time). But after that, McDonagh didn't provide as much offense. He still played well - he's strong defensively - but Hedman woke up and was himself after that, while dragging around a different partner every game due to Cooper's "rotation". Hedman was spectacular for 75% of the season. He plays a much more subtle defensive game than McD (less physical, more positional and disruptive), but he is every bit as good shutting guys down if not better, while being miles better offensively.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Rielly isn't good enough defensively. Straight up. On top of that, his offensive numbers are greatly boosted by an unsustainable start. As an example, 9 of those 20 goals that are being brought up were scored in the first 20 games. After that, his numbers started to drop. I haven't actually calculated those numbers after his hot start, but I suspect they fall under the "quite good, but not Norris-worthy" and it would be ridiculous to say he's Norris-worthy on the defensive side. When it really comes down to it, I think Rielly started very strong, but it was clear he wasn't able to maintain the offense that drew so much attention early in the season and his defensive game just wasn't good enough to make up for that.

As someone else said: He would have been jobbed if the voting had taken place early in the season. It wasn't, and the Norris isn't awarded for 1/4 of the regular season. As it is, he'll still finish strong in voting, but I don't think he was one of the three best defensemen in the game from the start of the season until the end. He was only in that discussion for the early part of the season.
One thing people got wrong about Rielly's points is that he got a lot of goals due to the Leafs power play. I don't think you realize this but among Rielly's 20 goals this season, only 3 of them were scored on the power play. So only 15% of his goals were scored when Toronto was playing 5v4 and and 85% of his goals were scored 5v5.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
No i don't think so. The crop of candidates was rather abundant and/because nobody really stood out. There are only so many nominations which means some potential candidates are left outside looking in.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
One thing people got wrong about Rielly's points is that he got a lot of goals due to the Leafs power play. I don't think you realize this but among Rielly's 20 goals this season, only 3 of them were scored on the power play. So only 15% of his goals were scored when Toronto was playing 5v4 and and 85% of his goals were scored 5v5.
You may have missed the point. It’s his 5v5 goal and assist totals that significantly inflated by aberrations in shooting % and do not look repeatable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was John Carlson? There were more than 3 legit contenders for the award this season and as such not all of them could be recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad