Was Morgan Rielly jobbed out of 2019 Norris nomination?

Was Morgan Rielly Jobbed Out Of 2019 Norris Nomination?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Nominees just announced; Hedman, Giordano and Burns are the finalists. I find it really hard to believe that after the year he had Morgan Rielly wasn't deserving of being a finalist on the list.

FYI: I'm not a Leafs fan, I just feel like Hedman got the reputation call this year and to me reputation call=someone got unfairly jobbed. Rielly was clearly the better player this year from my vantage point.

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
He really didn’t play well defensively this year. Might have more to do with playing on the leafs with ron hainsey as his partner but that’s really just an excuse. His offensive totals are also very high because he had a lot of luck. He definitely isn’t hitting 20 goals again.

I wouldn’t have minded him getting nominated but he definitely wasn’t robbed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I probably would have had him in my Top 3, but I don't think the word "jobbed" is accurate. Jobbed would be for a case where he was so above and beyond his competition that there's zero argument for anyone to be ahead of him. I don't think that's the case.

Reactions: Oryxo and varank

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Hedman gets the rep nod as well, partially based on the season Tampa had. Gio/Burns seemed like locks for top 3 though.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I/we don't know what the voting results are yet. He could've finished a close 4th, or a distant 8th in voting. The "finalist" tag is a misnomer. The winner has been determined already. Naming finalists is to ramp up the anticipation, so the NHL can make some $$$ for their award show.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He should have got a nom. I also don't really care that he didn't. The individual awards basically get a passing glance from me every year though so maybe it is more important to other people.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'll bet that when the voting results come out it will be revealed that he was the runaway 4th selection. Those three had outstanding years and we just witnessed what Tampa Bay was like without Hedman.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It's dumb to complain about being a nominee lol. Being a finalist doesn't mean anything if everyone knows he wasn't going to win it.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
A lot of these awards are based on rep more than actual performance.

Hedman wasn't even the best D on his team this year, let alone a top 3 in the league. Rielly deserved it more than Hedman

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly should have at least been a finalist instead of Hedman. Look at their stats during the regular season.

Rielly: Games played 82, Goals 20, Assists 52, Points 72, +24

Hedman: Games played 70, Goals 12, Assists 42, Points 54, +24

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
was curious about when the last time the leagues leading d man scorer at 5 on 5 didn't get a norris nomination, and it was last year, Erik Karlsson who did it while missing 11 games didnt get a Nod. I think Hedman got a reputation nomination this time and it happens, especially for the Norris.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Yep, Toronto are victims and all their players are the best and should win all the awards.
ffs I wish people would realize that every thread like this isn't started by a Leafs' fan

To answer the question - meh, I'm fine with him not being nominated. He had a great season but maybe inconsistent at times. From the few games I saw from him, Hedman seems like a worthy choice too.

Edit: meant to quote strait2thecup but this fits too

Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad