Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Given his season didn’t start until way later than expected (excluding the nightmarish games for CBS) and he got hurt as soon as he went in, I don’t think PLD is having that bad a season. His acquisition was always more to benefit who got him in the years to come as opposed to him coming in and being a 1C straight away.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The whole drama from the start of PLD's trade request was crippling for Columbus, the trade itself is just one part of it. And not the worst part either, as Roslovic is an incredible talent. Columbus either turns Laine around or gets a good asset for him, and Roslovic plus that is no loss.

Winnipeg for their part is actually improved this year, and they've been awful lately for other reasons (especially missing Ehlers). Dubois has taken a step back but he could easily redeem himself. He's better than this.

Reactions: CBJx614

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
looks like it...everyone involved is bad right now. player problably lose some money on their next contracts.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
With Connor McDavid as far and away your primary linemate, his numbers are pretty bad...

He started off the year very snakebitten, but has 9 points in his last 10 games and is improving with each game.

His impact isn't reflected in just points. He works harder than any other player on the team, (save for maybe Yamamoto), is great defensively, and is a horse along the boards and great on the cycle. Nuge is on pace for 60 points, but the majority of Oilers fans will say Puljujarvi's been the better player this year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The whole drama from the start of PLD's trade request was crippling for Columbus, the trade itself is just one part of it. And not the worst part either, as Roslovic is an incredible talent. Columbus either turns Laine around or gets a good asset for him, and Roslovic plus that is no loss.

Winnipeg for their part is actually improved this year, and they've been awful lately for other reasons (especially missing Ehlers). Dubois has taken a step back but he could easily redeem himself. He's better than this.
we really haven't improved this year, we have the same problems only right now it seems we can't even outscore them this year

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Those 3 are having their worst career nhl season by far, and they still have around the same # of points as Puljujarvi who is having a career year and is stapled to Mcdavid.

If anything its pretty dissapointing for Puljujarvi to only have 12 goals and 23 points when his center is already at 91 pts...

Ask any Oilers fan and they will tell you they are thrilled with how Puljujarvi is playing this season. He plays hard, creates space, fierce on the puck, and is fantastic defensively. He might have played half the season with McDavid? There's been a fair bit of line juggling this season.

He looks great on whatever line he's on. He's been steadily improving all year as well. I would bet on him taking another step forward next year as well. I wouldn't trade him for Laine or PLD at this point. I'm not saying he's a super star but he's a great complimentary piece.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots of Jets fans aren't happy with PLD this year, but most of our guys are playing pretty bad. But I'm willing to keep on eye on it and see how he does next year, that's the real prove it year for me. Either way we got a player that can plug the massive hole we've had at 2C for awhile now. And got rid of a luxury we didn't really need and couldn't afford to keep without sacrificing elsewhere in the lineup.

I think it's better to revisit this trade next year after both teams (hopefully) have some coaching changes and both players get in a full training camp and regular practices with the team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ask any Oilers fan and they will tell you they are thrilled with how Puljujarvi is playing this season. He plays hard, creates space, fierce on the puck, and is fantastic defensively. He might have played half the season with McDavid? There's been a fair bit of line juggling this season.

He looks great on whatever line he's on. He's been steadily improving all year as well. I would bet on him taking another step forward next year as well. I wouldn't trade him for Laine or PLD at this point. I'm not saying he's a super star but he's a great complimentary piece.

It's really easy to say that when he went from possible bust to playing at the same level as the other two guys, while they have declined to that exact level. Of course your optimistic about him.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
It's really easy to say that when he went from possible bust to playing at the same level as the other two guys, while they have declined to that exact level. Of course your optimistic about him.

It's not a difficult concept to understand though - it's wise to invest in a rising stock. That being said, if Laine isn't scoring he doesn't really do a lot else. If Pulju isn't scoring he is still often contributing through the other things he does. I haven't seen PLD enough to have a concrete or fair judgment on him, but in the games I have seen he hasn't really stuck out at all. I think it will still be a number of years before we find out who is the best between the 3. I think Laine still has the highest potential.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It's the last year of Dorkorella in Columbus, so obviously no one cares what happens this season. If Kekäläinen can acquire some playmaker C for Laine in the offseason, they'll be a brand new team next season.

Reactions: CBJx614

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
It was not a lose lose because both teams had essentially lost already, Laine and Dubois wanted out. I guess CJB won because Roslovic has been okay.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
A literal turnip could get points playing with McDavid. Dubois, Laine, and Tkachuk would blow his point totals out of the pool party if the situation were reversed.

You have totally missed the point here. Pulju is valuable for his huzzle, forecheck and backcheck, not the points. He is everywhere on the ice and also screening goalies. Puljujärvi is ost likely a better option for the Oilers, because the main thing he does is creating space for the others and relentlessly is disturbing opponents play. I doubt PLD or Laine would have the same impact albeit they are more talented with the puck. Someone has to retriewe it too...

Reactions: Biltmore

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?

Columbus isn’t worse because they traded PLD for Laine.

There’s plenty other reasons for them being where they are

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not a difficult concept to understand though - it's wise to invest in a rising stock. That being said, if Laine isn't scoring he doesn't really do a lot else. If Pulju isn't scoring he is still often contributing through the other things he does. I haven't seen PLD enough to have a concrete or fair judgment on him, but in the games I have seen he hasn't really stuck out at all. I think it will still be a number of years before we find out who is the best between the 3. I think Laine still has the highest potential.

All their stocks are about the same right now. I expect both Laine and PLD to rebound by next year though.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Chevy should be lynched for making that awful trade.

Dubois sucks and has done next to nothing in winnipeg.

We need to fire gm Chevy right after we fire maurice.
This season is a total write off.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad