Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Time will tell. I wouldn't count either Laine or Dubois out yet. Laine has so much potential, weather CBJ can get it out of him AND weather he will stay with the team beyond next season remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?
This was at first and has always been my opinion of the trade.

I didn't like it for either team.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Pulju has more goals this year than Dubois, Tkachuk, and Laine.

Funny how that works eh?

Indeed. I always loved Jesse as a player and Im happy he's found his place on the team and contributing positively..

However, it's still clear Laine is the more efficient scorer, 13 goals for Jesse VS 12 for Laine when Patrik is having a historically bad season and Jesse is playing with superstars.. Laine still converts the few chances he does get at a better percentage than Pulju does, including some real highlight reel goals, that said, Pulju is contributing in positive ways to the game that Laine maybe isn't.. No one could ever say he is lazy, absolutely high energy, back checking hard, good defensive play, constantly hardworking.

That said, I think Jesse has all the tools to become a better finisher as well as long as he works on it.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From the moment that trade was made, I was wondering who thought that "Patrick Laine" and "John Tortorella" would be a good mix.

Jarmo must have been high as a kite when he made that trade. Unless he plans on letting Tortorella go pretty soon.

Nobody is expecting Torts to be their coach next season and Laine was 22y at the time of trade.

When trying to build a consistent playoff team Laine can be an awesome asset, he just can’t be the guy.

Now they have 3 1st round picks and Laine/Werenski/Jones, let’s see what Jarmo can build

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure what people are expecting from PLD anyways. Sure, underwhelming stats so far, but Laine is by far the biggest stinker. PLD has the ability to be useful when not scoring

Laine has become a discount Finnish Phil Kessel, and not prime Kessel either

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
It was not a lose lose because both teams had essentially lost already, Laine and Dubois wanted out. I guess CJB won because Roslovic has been okay.

Speaking if wanting out are you aware Roslovic was holding out back home in Columbus while the season had already started? Roslo wanted out as well and would not be playing for the Jets even if not traded.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think there's a lot of stuff going on right now that has some players in funks.
Heck on a normal year some of the borderline stars have problems being consistent.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a different results next year.

Reactions: Monk

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Laine would have been better than PLD on the Jets this year, but I think PLD will still be great long-term, and Laine I'm sure will pick it up again at some point.

Jul 6, 2016
I would not be surprised if both Laine and Dubois are traded to other teams in the off season.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Another season will be needed to sort out the winner/loser. Roslovic has been the biggest surprise, providing offense to an offensively starved Jackets team. The jury on Laine should remain in deliberations until next year with a new coach.

As to PLD, I’d expect he’ll show better next year. Right now neither he or Laine appear to be playing up to their standards. If that happens, Columbus will have won the trade because of Roslovic being added to the deal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this trade has been underwhelming as a whole. laine has been basura in cbj, roslovic is producing so the box-score stats look good but dunno about his overall play. PLD has been severely underwhelming given the hype, and previous years performance as a CBJ.

lets see how the long-term deals pan out before declaring a winner or loser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad