Rumor: Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They seem to spout out everything they possibly hear and make connections that sometimes are there. They need to learn to filter through and not jump the gun. You have to filter through the crap to get what they may actually know (or get lucky and guess).

Yeah but let's be careful here. Someone said he heard/read something (but it didn't really happen) and then another someone runs with that and uses it as confirmation bias. That's how fake news/fake rumors start.

Not saying BSN guys are perfect, but they never said Heiskanen wasn't the AVS guy just to say he was their guy the day after.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah but let's be careful here. Someone said he heard/read something (but it didn't really happen) and then another someone runs with that and uses it as confirmation bias. That's how fake news/fake rumors start.

Not saying BSN guys are perfect, but they never said Heiskanen wasn't the AVS guy just to say he was their guy the day after.

I'm not talking Heiskanen... I'm talking their track record for years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This could be a very enticing situation for a GM to come into. A lot of the junk is expiring soon, you have tradeable assets that have been rumoured on the move for the last few seasons, and there's still high end young talent in the system or on the team. If they actually gave him control and let him do as he wanted, I could see that being very interesting for any new GM.

Any GM spot should be desirable with the possible exception of a team that can't spend beyond the cap floor.

There is so much turnaround in players any executive will be able to set his stamp on a team in a few years.

Look at Avs. Every single player on the team is on a contract signed by Sakic/Roy and Sakic only was hired four years ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I look forward to Mike Chambers' hot takes on all of these juicy Avs tidbits :sarcasm:

Some headlines:

"Rychel and Avs might be in talks, how does affect DU?"
"Rychel rumored for front office jobs with Avs, why didn't they consider Montgomery?"
"Troy Terry on how Rychel would do with the Avs."
"Rychel joining the Avs, does this mean Sakic is Montgonery's heir apparent?"

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Some headlines:

"Rychel and Avs might be in talks, how does affect DU?"
"Rychel rumored for front office jobs with Avs, why didn't they consider Montgomery?"
"Troy Terry on how Rychel would do with the Avs."
"Rychel joining the Avs, does this mean Sakic is Montgonery's heir apparent?"

Montgomery snubbed in Avs search for executive

In the column it's Chambers interviewing Montgomery. There's a lengthy paragraph on horses... or hunting or something. It doesn't mention Rychel.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I read Warren's quotes as "they are offering me an AGM job but I only want to leave if it's a GM offer". anyways, I hope he comes over. Sakic blows.

btw is it too early for me to start placing Kerby in our lineup for next season? a Greer - Compher - Rychel third line looks sexy. :naughty:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honestly at this point I pretty much take everything BSN says with a grain of salt. They aren't the greatest source ever. They get some stuff right, but not enough for me to be sold on them.

They are so wishy washy as well. A couple days back they're saying the Avs aren't impressed with Vilardi or Heiskanen. Then yesterday they state they like Heiskanen and he is probably target #1. It's easy to be right when you take both sides of an argument.

I consider them an OK source at best when come to Avs stuff as many of there predictions/statements never seem to come true.

I agree but this didn't come from BSN. They wrote their article after it reached HF.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any GM spot should be desirable with the possible exception of a team that can't spend beyond the cap floor.

There is so much turnaround in players any executive will be able to set his stamp on a team in a few years.

Look at Avs. Every single player on the team is on a contract signed by Sakic/Roy and Sakic only was hired four years ago.

I know when it comes to big jobs in hockey they may never come around at the perfect time or again but a guy like Dubas or say Fenton know their name has been out there for a while and it's not like they will be directly blamed if anything turns south in their org so they know the jobs will be out there, it's not a strike while the iron is hot thing.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Oh BSN... :laugh:

Rychel is a very smart OHL guy and has really built something good there. He has some incredible connections and is on the cutting edge in some areas of analytics. He is also very aggressive in getting what he wants. Not perfect, but he is a smart hockey guy.

Also... it isn't one Memorial Cup... it is three. People don't understand the dumpster fire that org was when he bought them. They were one season from packing up shop and moving elsewhere.

Does anyone know how much OHL teams/franchises are worth?

I imagine they vary like pro sports teams, but I wonder what the value of that franchise is to a guy like Rychel.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I imagine they vary like pro sports teams, but I wonder what the value of that franchise is to a guy like Rychel.

A few million I think. The richest ones would be higher of course. I always told my husband if we win the lotto I'm buying a junior team.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
A few million I think. The richest ones would be higher of course. I always told my husband if we win the lotto I'm buying a junior team.

I do a lot of investing, TV - and I'm a bit gray on the word "few". ;)

Seriously though, I've never really thought of this - what minor league hockey teams/franchises are worth.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Last edited:

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Sorry, I didn't find an answer to how much Windsor is worth, but per this 2009 article the Hunter Bros purchased the London Knights for over $3 million in 2000, & as of 8 years ago could've sold the franchise for just over $11 mil.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sec.th...and-pop-business/article20441976/?service=amp

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
That BSN podcast today was pretty weak. Seemed like they just hastily sat down and said "let's discuss what Rychel was quoted saying after the Memorial Cup" and Dater rehashed '96 for awhile just to prove he was there. By the way, anyone remember when he posted on here? Wasn't his username graf007 or something like that?? I wonder if he still lurks...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That BSN podcast today was pretty weak. Seemed like they just hastily sat down and said "let's discuss what Rychel was quoted saying after the Memorial Cup" and Dater rehashed '96 for awhile just to prove he was there. By the way, anyone remember when he posted on here? Wasn't his username graf007 or something like that?? I wonder if he still lurks...

Retad nairda

Maybe it was the other way around

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Ramparts were sold for ~25m a few years ago. The bigger teams are worth a good chunk. The smaller teams are probably in the single digit millions.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The Ramparts were sold for ~25m a few years ago. The bigger teams are worth a good chunk. The smaller teams are probably in the single digit millions.

And if the team was hitting rock bottom and this was eleven years ago, we're getting to NHL grinder numbers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Some of the markets are massive and the CHL team is the biggest team in town. London and Quebec are prime examples.

I guess even with a NHL team the CHL team might do well because of market size. Oil Kings and Hitmen have good attendance if I recall correctly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Even some hard up franchises have sold for decent money recently. Mississauga was ~8.25m in 2012. It really depends on the market, and maybe even more importantly the arena situation.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Sakic is playing things way too safe with former players that he knows, not wheeling and dealing to bring in winning attitude or hard work ethic. Seems like he is way too conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad