Rumor: Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sakic is playing things way too safe with former players that he knows, not wheeling and dealing to bring in winning attitude or hard work ethic. Seems like he is way too conservative.

Just curious here, what is it Rychel's resume while at the helm of Windsor that doesn't exude "winning attitude" and "hard work ethic"?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wasn't Rychel quoted as saying he had been talking to a few teams and had some options?

He also said he wouldn't leave if it wasn't a no brainer, so when people says he going to Avs they are offering him a position others aren't.

If someone was offering him to be a head scout or something, no one would bat an eye.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's an interesting rumour and I actually like Rychel, but I honestly don't care who gets hired anymore in the front office.

Maybe because for the most part, everyone they're looking at has close to little NHL experience. And I just can't see the optimism or worrying about if he will work out. Avs will eventually go through staff until they find people that work. Maybe that's next year or maybe we pull a Florida Panthers and have a decade worth of being atrocious and keep hiring the wrong people until we hit someone, I guess.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Kyle dubas was interim gm straight from the OHL hfboards touts him as the next Scotty Bowman, Rychel gets offered a job and he's a sympathy pick from a nepotistic front office failure.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kyle dubas was interim gm straight from the OHL hfboards touts him as the next Scotty Bowman, Rychel gets offered a job and he's a sympathy pick from a nepotistic front office failure.

Avs have never had a GM that's been GM in the NHL elsewhere.

Avs have never had a GM that's not been employed by the organization before.

Dubas at least would have broken one of those trends.

I get that Rychel isn't a super insider and that he's built a career elsewhere. It's not like he's a Sakic here being handed the job purely because of his Avs legacy. But if they anoint him as next GM, it's a starting position way above what most successful CHL GMs get.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why hasn't one of the other 29 teams offered him a spot?

1) Who's to say he hasn't had offers to leave Windsor? I believe Toronto was looking at him for something when they were doing their initial Front Office overhaul

2) What does your question have to do with his success at Windsor, which more than speaks for itself?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I doubt it's for a GM position this late in the process. Mark Hunter was the owner and GM of the Knights when he jumped to the Leafs to become director of player personnel so it could be something along those lines. Maybe Rychel could come in and run the pro and amateur scouting departments.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I doubt it's for a GM position this late in the process. Mark Hunter was the owner and GM of the Knights when he jumped to the Leafs to become director of player personnel so it could be something along those lines. Maybe Rychel could come in and run the pro and amateur scouting departments.

Agreed. No way Sakic just peaces out one week before the expansion draft.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

If it's the Dubas job it's to run the hockey side of things and then be in line to take over when Sakic steps down.

If it's another job, it's minor news. But I doubt he would leave Windsor if there wasn't real substance to the job.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Honestly sakic could step down a day before the expansion list is due and the new GM would get more done in that one day than sakic did the entire season.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I don't understand why people always scream NHL experience. Might as well hire mike milbury and John ferguson jr.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't understand why people always scream NHL experience. Might as well hire mike milbury and John ferguson jr.

I'm much less concerned about a possible Rychel hire, than most potential GM's with no NHL experience. He has a successful playing career in the NHL, and over a decade of highly successful results as GM in the OHL to utilize.

However, citing two of the worst NHL GM's in recent history as a reason that NHL experience isn't important, is cherry picking to the highest extreme. It's still incredibly important, and even more so to a team like the Avs who have consistently hired GM's and head coaches with a lack of NHL experience, and consistently had poor results because of it.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I'm much less concerned about a possible Rychel hire, than most potential GM's with no NHL experience. He has a successful playing career in the NHL, and over a decade of highly successful results as GM in the OHL.

However, citing two of the worst NHL GM's in recent history as a reason that NHL experience isn't important, is cherry picking to the highest extreme. It's still incredibly important, and even more so to a team like the Avs who have consistently hired GM's and head coaches with a lack of NHL experience, and consistently had poor results because of it.

Yeah I picked those guys on purpose because the way some people talk about hiring Avs moves is "no experience + nepotism" are the ONLY reason he's going to get hired. Both those guys are two of the worst GMs ever and have neither of those qualities. People make it sound like that would be better than following the Avs MO.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Just curious here, what is it Rychel's resume while at the helm of Windsor that doesn't exude "winning attitude" and "hard work ethic"?

I was referring only to Sakics tenure not Rychel. Honestly I don't know Rychel at all as an exec. My comment was more around Sakic only going with guys he knows (for coaches, staff, etc) and not willing to take many chances (specifically with the roster). Joe was steady Eddie as a player but may not be cut out to overhaul this thing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

My favorite part is when they say "We need a GM with NHL experience" and then immediately list their 12 step plan for exactly what trades, picks, and signings that experienced GM needs to do to make the team great again. Why don't they just hire you to do all that, then? "Experience" isn't a magic wand that makes other GMs agree to unbalanced trades and players agree to UFA contracts.

Last edited:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Honestly the only way this is bad is if nothing comes out of this. The Avs have the same front office at the beginning of the season would be the worse case scenario. I'll take anyone new over that possible nightmare

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Nepotism is fine if the people are good.

Penguins have lemiuex, rutherford, guenin, tocchet, recchi, gonchar on staff.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He meant Guerin. I don't know if Lemieux is involved in any roster-related decisions but one thing in common all those other guys he mentioned have over Sakic is that they've been around the league a decent bit, played on multiple teams. That's valuable experience in a way, Sakic just played on one franchise with and once he got to Colorado, he played under pretty much the same front office his whole career.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nepotism is fine if the people are good.

Penguins have lemiuex, rutherford, guenin, tocchet, recchi, gonchar on staff.

Having Crosby and Malkin makes their jobs exponentially easier. If we had Crosby and Malkin building a contending team would be much less difficult. Not saying that they're any of those guys are bad at their jobs but they're in a better situation overall.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's hard to tell how good front office are at their job, but even if you add Rychel to Sakic, Billington, MacFarland it's a lot of people who are relatively inexperienced. It would be nice with someone more experienced in the mix, even if it's not in the top role. Dubas at least had the benefit of having worked under Lamoriello and with Babcock for two years. That's a lot of winning mindset around him.

I guess MacFarland was with Blue Jackets for a while and Billington has been with Avs for a while but both teams have wandered aimlessly in a competitive sense for the last decade so it's hard to argue they have been brought up in winning environments.

In the end if you replace Sakic with a similarly inexperienced guy, it's not like you are losing a lot. I don't get the feeling Sakic loves this job, but perhaps it's the losing he dislikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad