Rumor: Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
He's got a proven track record at the junior level. If he can bring the same talent to the FO, I'll welcome him with open arms. I'm not against the nepotistic approach as long as the guys they bring in are actually good hires that make sense. Rychel has built a contender in the CHL with the Spits on more than one occasion.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He's got a proven track record at the junior level. If he can bring the same talent to the FO, I'll welcome him with open arms. I'm not against the nepotistic approach as long as the guys they bring in are actually good hires that make sense. Rychel has built a contender in the CHL with the Spits on more than one occasion.

He seems to be pretty good with evaluating talent. It wouldn't be the worst thing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Former Avs player. Story checks out.

145d033025e34d8f028d4c04482c9148.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not surprising that IF any of this were to pan out that people would be looking at him *just* as a former Avs player and not his track record in Windsor.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I wouldnt have a problem with this. Not like he's a Sacco esque guy, he's built championship teams in a great Windsor system.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So BSN says candidate, that tweet or whatever internet rumor is out there suggests he's been hired. There's quite a bit of difference there.

Also, the fact still remains it's way too late in the game for a full GM replacement. So we could be looking at the same help for now with more later.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
So BSN says candidate, that tweet or whatever internet rumor is out there suggests he's been hired. There's quite a bit of difference there.

Also, the fact still remains it's way too late in the game for a full GM replacement. So we could be looking at the same help for now with more later.

we're never been opposed to waiting :help:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
See I like this, it means we want new voices in the front office and not just stopping at Dubas.
Potentially massive changes to the structure and different views. I love it.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Could be as little as the Avs contacting him to ask about Vilardi and a rumor started or this is the real deal. I don't know much about him but I like what I have heard and this front office definitely needs a new, experienced voice.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That was posted an hour ago:

General Manager Warren Rychel confirms that he has been on the phone with a couple of NHL teams regarding management positions.

However, he says it is going to take a lot to tear him away from Windsor.

“I live five miles from the rink, I’m part owner of the team, I love dealing with the kids every day, I make my own schedule, I have great scouts, I have great office staff, I love coming here,” explains Rychel. “So for me to leave, it’s got to be pretty special.”

http://blackburnnews.com/windsor/windsor-news/2017/06/08/spitfires-dealing-attention-champs/

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean...

The insanity quote has already been posted I guess...

Assuming these rumors are true :

I really don't get it. Somehow this organisation seems to be allergic to people from outside the brotherhood and to people with real experience at the NHL level...

It really looks like the two requirements for a job with the Avs are either you have to have been involved with the organisation in its glory days or you must be currently employed at a lower level with little to no NHL experience.

If you check both boxes, you are as good as hired. Just a matter of time..

I like Vilardi over Glass so that might be one good thing coming from this mess but I am still a bit pissed that this organisation does not learn from its mistakes...

At all...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not really nepotism but more that they have a very small search radius. Was the same with Roy and all his Q-buddies.

That's why it was initially encouraging to hear about Dubas, but when it turned out they weren't actually offering him an upwards move it was obviously amateur hour.

Would Sakic even be thinking about Rychel if he hadn't played on the same team? Probably not. Back to the small search radius. What's Kono up to these days?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Are they going to get anyone from a NHL team without offering full GM position? And every day that goes by makes that less and less likely. Would a fired and out of work guy with NHL experience be better? MacFarland came from the NHL and that doesn't seem to be a big deal either way.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Par for the course for with this forum's response to this rumor...it was so easy to see that coming too.

:shakehead

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Par for the course for with this forum's response to this rumor...it was so easy to see that coming too.

:shakehead

Let's see...

Ten years of GM/VP hockey op. experience in the OHL.
Executive of the year in his third year, yes.
Oh, Memorial Cup winner just this past year.
But he played with Sakic on the ´96 Cup team. Typical Avs, always going with the old teammate with no NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->