Rumor: Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The Avs connection seems flimsy at best. Warren Rychel has done a bang up job in Windsor and there should be many teams interested in bringing him on board like they did with Mark Hunter. I'm all for trying to bring in new people. It's not like he's recently retired from playing with the Avs like Iginla. You know I don't care if Rychel retired five years ago as long as he's willing to try something new. The problem I have in bringing people in is creating an echo chamber. That's why I wanted Dubas so we could get some new blood and outlook in the organization.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Get seduced by a name like Dubas and speculation about Fenton and then they hit you with Warren Rychel.

Seriously though, I don't know enough about him as an executive but if he's good, I'm all for it because the Avs clearly need help in that department. He just better not come in and ruin my Heiskanen dream and push for Vilardi, assuming both are on the board.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Get seduced by a name like Dubas and speculation about Fenton and then they hit you with Warren Rychel.

Seriously though, I don't know enough about him as an executive but if he's good, I'm all for it because the Avs clearly need help in that department. He just better not come in and ruin my Heiskanen dream and push for Vilardi, assuming both are on the board.

I don't think it's just Rychel who will be joining this. This speaks to a shake up coming for the FO.

Some of it seems to be steeped in the desire to improve the minors. Almost every rumored guy is either a draft type or a runs or will run the minor league affiliates.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Let's see...

Ten years of GM/VP hockey op. experience in the OHL.
Executive of the year in his third year, yes.
Oh, Memorial Cup winner just this past year.
But he played with Sakic on the ´96 Cup team. Typical Avs, always going with the old teammate with no NHL experience.

Yeah thats nice but Roy also won a Memorial Cup.

I am not against giving candidates a chance from the minor or junior leagues.

But we really haven't done well always going that route for a while now. Especially when it comes to guys with an Avs background...

Dubas would have been a great hire just because he has been around a franchise that recently has done whats necessary to get a team back on track in the NHL and he doesn't have any loyalty to anyone inside of this organisation so if he would want to clean house, there wouldn't be any history standing in the way of it.

@TV:

MacFarland is a fair point. Hadn't thought about him. Really hard to say what kind of impact he had.

We will see how high Rychel will slot into our hierarchy.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Agreed on new voices in the FO. If they're making a GM replacement I'm hoping for Fenton, or BriseBois from Tampa.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol on everyone who want to try the Avs only hire from within the brotherhood BS.

Rychel hasn't been on the squad really since 96, his 30 games or so in 99 doesn't really count as being a part of the brotherhood.

Not to mention he has been the GM for the Spitfires for the past 10 seasons. I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we brought him in. He's been on the outside long enough that he isn't going to have the good old boys approach. He has been largely successful, wouldn't be the worst hire of all time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think it's just Rychel who will be joining this. This speaks to a shake up coming for the FO.

Some of it seems to be steeped in the desire to improve the minors. Almost every rumored guy is either a draft type or a runs or will run the minor league affiliates.

That certainly could be the case. I just keep going back to what Friedman said back in April as it seems like he was definitely onto something, even though the Avs denied it at the time.

Rumour shot down: that Colorado was looking at beefing up its scouting department with a “Rick Dudley-type†hire. (That’s the phrase I used when asking, because that’s the way it was presented to me.)

They're cutting it awfully close though.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah so maybe replace Sakic with Patty...

Love Roy the player, but I really hope he is never in the organization ever again.

Guy doesn't know the first thing about putting together a good team and he sure as hell can't evaluate talent.

A lot of the crap that was last year was on him as well as Sakic.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
It's a small ass photo blown up.

I'm aware. Everything else I had to say had been said so that was my input. I just honestly don't care or have an opinion on these things anymore. The team is so bad... I don't know what could make it worst or better.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm aware. Everything else I had to say had been said so that was my input. I just honestly don't care or have an opinion on these things anymore. The team is so bad... I don't know what could make it worst or better.

Remember that doing nothing accomplishes nothing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It depends on what kind of job they give him. I'd love to see him as a scouting/development guy, given what he's managed to do with Windsor being a perennial heavyweight and his intimate knowledge of the OHL. For full GM I don't think that's a wise choice, but we don't know if that's what he's interviewing for (likely not).

I DGAF if he wore an Avs jersey once upon a time. He's a smart hockey mind, we could use more of those, end of story.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh BSN... :laugh:

Rychel is a very smart OHL guy and has really built something good there. He has some incredible connections and is on the cutting edge in some areas of analytics. He is also very aggressive in getting what he wants. Not perfect, but he is a smart hockey guy.

Also... it isn't one Memorial Cup... it is three. People don't understand the dumpster fire that org was when he bought them. They were one season from packing up shop and moving elsewhere.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Rychel is a very smart OHL guy and has really built something good there. He has some incredible connections and is on the cutting edge in some areas of analytics. He is also very aggressive in getting what he wants. Not perfect, but he is a smart hockey guy.

Also... it isn't one Memorial Cup... it is three. People don't understand the dumpster fire that org was when he bought them. They were one season from packing up shop and moving elsewhere.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This is not a bad choice and wouldn't be too concerned about the prior playing relationship with Sakic. He has been in the Juniors for 10+ years, so he served his time nurturing prospects.

Interesting, the potential Avs pick Vilardi played for Windsor and the most common players mentioned to trade for Duchene are Sergachev and Brown.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

How do you personally think Rychel would fare if he was hired on as GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad