Rumor: Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How do you personally think Rychel would fare if he was hired on as GM?

As a GM... hard to say for sure, but I think he'd do well. He is one of the top 2 or 3 GMs in the OHL IMO. And I think being a good GM translates through leagues. Plus he has the NHL connections.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is from earlier today:

There’s a couple things going on I can’t really comment on right now,” Rychel said.

The architect of three Memorial Cup championship teams in the last nine years, it would seem natural for Rychel to draw interest, but he admits it would take a lot to pull him out of his current situation.

“For me to leave here, it’s got to be a pretty special gig in the NHL,” Rychel said. “A lot of coaches leave and have success to the NHL, but management’s a little bit different.

“There’s a couple of things going on, but obviously I can’t comment on it, but it’s got to be a perfect situation where the ball’s knocked out of the park,” Rychel said. “In the right spot, there’s a lot of teams in the NHL that need help. You look and a lot of my friends are in the NHL now. For me, I had a great career in the NHL. I deal with the NHL guys every day. I won a Stanley Cup. Yeah, I’d love to win another one, but it’s got to be a perfect situation.”

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitfires-rychel-and-letowski-also-drawing-nhl-interest

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
As a GM... hard to say for sure, but I think he'd do well. He is one of the top 2 or 3 GMs in the OHL IMO. And I think being a good GM translates through leagues. Plus he has the NHL connections.

You also mentioned he's on the cutting edge of some new analytics - would you say that's his calling card? Do you think he would keep Bednar on?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I'm just very excited about this potential hire, haha.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This could be a very enticing situation for a GM to come into. A lot of the junk is expiring soon, you have tradeable assets that have been rumoured on the move for the last few seasons, and there's still high end young talent in the system or on the team. If they actually gave him control and let him do as he wanted, I could see that being very interesting for any new GM.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You also mentioned he's on the cutting edge of some new analytics - would you say that's his calling card? Do you think he would keep Bednar on?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I'm just very excited about this potential hire, haha.

I wouldn't say it is his calling card... I'd say that is winning, no matter how it comes. No idea on Bednar. GMs sometimes like to change their coaches, sometimes not.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This could be a very enticing situation for a GM to come into. A lot of the junk is expiring soon, you have tradeable assets that have been rumoured on the move for the last few seasons, and there's still high end young talent in the system or on the team. If they actually gave him control and let him do as he wanted, I could see that being very interesting for any new GM.

Yeah, I made the joke there but I absolutely agree.

I wouldn't say it is his calling card... I'd say that is winning, no matter how it comes. No idea on Bednar. GMs sometimes like to change their coaches, sometimes not.

Well... Bob Boughner still doesn't have a head coaching job. :naughty:

Oh yeah but just note that he played 63 games with the Avs before he retired so...

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Honestly at this point I pretty much take everything BSN says with a grain of salt. They aren't the greatest source ever. They get some stuff right, but not enough for me to be sold on them.

They are so wishy washy as well. A couple days back they're saying the Avs aren't impressed with Vilardi or Heiskanen. Then yesterday they state they like Heiskanen and he is probably target #1. It's easy to be right when you take both sides of an argument.

I consider them an OK source at best when come to Avs stuff as many of there predictions/statements never seem to come true.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
:laugh: I know right?

You never played the Kerby games growing up

kirby_feet.jpg

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly at this point I pretty much take everything BSN says with a grain of salt. They aren't the greatest source ever. They get some stuff right, but not enough for me to be sold on them.

They are so wishy washy as well. A couple days back they're saying the Avs aren't impressed with Vilardi or Heiskanen. Then yesterday they state they like Heiskanen and he is probably target #1. It's easy to be right when you take both sides of an argument.

I consider them an OK source at best when come to Avs stuff as many of there predictions/statements never seem to come true.

I knew I wasn't the only one that read that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Is there an actual link to this? I haven't listened to all of their podcasts and usually skip the stuff that involves Dater but I don't recall hearing it in the draft podcast.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's possible it's tough to get guys to come here who aren't familiar with Colorado.

That's exactly what I think, too. If we have to overpay in extra years to get UFA's, its very possible that it's similar with FO guys with experience. A bad stunt in a badly run org can ruin a reputation/career.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is there an actual link to this? I haven't listened to all of their podcasts and usually skip the stuff that involves Dater but I don't recall hearing it in the draft podcast.

They said Vilardi and Glass.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Right?
Cuz who wants to live in a place where snow storms drop 5 feet of snow at a time?
(Yes, that was my grandma's perception of Colorado...)

The forgotten time zone with no media coverage, the most travel and just had one of the worst seasons in history. Might be tough to get east coast folks to come. We can hardly get any players in UFA who have only played in the east.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

It's in the draft thread, not sure there is a link or not. I just read back maybe 7-8 pages and everyone was talking about possibly drafting Liljegren or Mittelstadt because the BSN guys were saying that the Avs weren't overly impressed with Vilardi or Heiskanen.

Basically I was just going off what others were saying they heard. IMO it was pretty clear, based off other posters comments, that it was said by BSN somewhere that we weren't big on those guys. I personally don't care for BSN and think they are very mediocre so I don't follow their articles or podcasts.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Maybe the Avs listened what Billington thought of the draft and are interviewing people to see who thinks the exact opposite to hire

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

They seem to spout out everything they possibly hear and make connections that sometimes are there. They need to learn to filter through and not jump the gun. You have to filter through the crap to get what they may actually know (or get lucky and guess).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad