Proposal: WARNING: Re Slava Voynov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's pretty sexist though. If a gay hockey player hit his husband it would be fine?

Is a gay man a woman?...

You're missing the point. No male should ever hit a FEMALE. Also, where are people saying that this is fine? Am I missing something here?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yes, 30 years ago. So, what? He took a life and is now a millionaire NHL luminary. That's the point. You're mixing apples and oranges.

I don't really know the facts of this case. The guy might have done it or he might not have. He pled "no contest"; he wasn't convicted on the felony charges. If the HF Boards and the LA prosecutors were so certain he was guilty, one has to wonder why they offered a plea deal. Whatever.

Didn't demigod Lucic slap around his girlfriend clubbing one night a few years back? Don't recall anyone calling for his immediate trade, or banishment from the league, back then.

Guess the answer to the question depends, as it always does, on whose ox is gored.

I'm not mixing anything. Comparing the attitude towards DUI homicide in 1985 with the attitude towards domestic abuse in 2015 is absurd. As I said, in 1982, my friend's father got away with 7 years instead of a life sentence because of the "She asked for it when she asked for a divorce!" good old boys attitude in the courts. If that kind of 1980's morals and justice are what you feel we should hold players to today, then we are in trouble.

And BTW, Craig MacTavish spent a year in jail, and no, Lucic didn't slap anyone. That was a verbal altercation. Nice try, though.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yes, 30 years ago. So, what? He took a life and is now a millionaire NHL luminary. That's the point. You're mixing apples and oranges.

I don't really know the facts of this case. The guy might have done it or he might not have. He pled "no contest"; he wasn't convicted on the felony charges. If the HF Boards and the LA prosecutors were so certain he was guilty, one has to wonder why they offered a plea deal. Whatever.

Didn't demigod Lucic slap around his girlfriend clubbing one night a few years back? Don't recall anyone calling for his immediate trade, or banishment from the league, back then.

Guess the answer to the question depends, as it always does, on whose ox is gored.

They had trouble in this case because Voynov's wife refused to testify against her husband. I think the reality is no one but Voynov and his wife knows what really happened that night.

One issue with the case is the police went by her testimony the night the assault happened. Problem is, as I understand, her level of English is rather low. I have no doubts he assaulted her, but I can also believe the police were able to lead this woman to say some things that were not true. She was panicked and trying to give responses in a language she isn't proficient in. They should've got some sort of translator to help the police.

At the end of the day, he can play hockey and the Bruins need guys who can play hockey.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Going by what little we know- yes.

He did a horrible thing and will serve time for it. If there is more going on or they have good cause to think he would pose a threat to people around him and the organization then steer way clear.

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
For those clowns saying everyone deserves a second chance... try finding a job with a criminal record... guaranteed it will be a minimum wage job. Why would this idiot get millions paid to him by working class folks buying overpriced tickets ?

Guess I'm a clown then. Also, NFL? Anyway, Voynov isn't your average guy trying to find a job. He's a professional athlete. For you and I, yes a criminal record would suck, for him it's a PR thing. A team will take a chance on him because hockey is a business, and as much as people here are trying to be high and mighty I guarantee you tickets will still sell if Voynov is wearing a spoked B. If not, there's always the KHL where he will probably make more money anyway.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
They had trouble in this case because Voynov's wife refused to testify against her husband. I think the reality is no one but Voynov and his wife knows what really happened that night.

One issue with the case is the police went by her testimony the night the assault happened. Problem is, as I understand, her level of English is rather low. I have no doubts he assaulted her, but I can also believe the police were able to lead this woman to say some things that were not true. She was panicked and trying to give responses in a language she isn't proficient in. They should've got some sort of translator to help the police.

At the end of the day, he can play hockey and the Bruins need guys who can play hockey.

While she may not be proficient in english, there were lacerations, choke marks and bruises. I don't really care if they exaggerate parts of it at that point, a brutal beating is still what it was.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Assault is never ok but maybe it's my generation where you never strike a woman regardless of circumstance other than her coming at you with a gun .

Exactly.

If things ever get so bad that the thought enters one head you still dont hit her.

Tell her she has a huge fat ass but dont hit her.

Jamestown

Dec 17, 2014
How could the Bruins FO send Seguin packing for unprofessional behavior yet bring in this guy for his actions. Surely this would not happen.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There is no way in hell the Bs should sign Voynov. The guy is a wife beater and has done it repeatedly according to his wife. It doesn't matter one iota if she is sticking by him or not. That is not an unusual pattern in complicated relationships where violence is concerned. He is a morally bankrupt piece of turd, as is anyone who resorts to physically violent behavior towards a spouse. The Bs are a professional hockey team, not a rehabilitation service for cowardly men who beat their wives.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
He's a great player, but I would not want him on the B's and I personally would have a very hard time rooting for the team if they signed him for next year.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly.

If things ever get so bad that the thought enters one head you still dont hit her.

Tell her she has a huge fat ass but dont hit her.

My father always said "Never, ever, ever hit a woman . . . no matter how much she deserves it."

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
For those clowns saying everyone deserves a second chance... try finding a job with a criminal record... guaranteed it will be a minimum wage job. Why would this idiot get millions paid to him by working class folks buying overpriced tickets ?

I think you are proving our point about second chances without even realizing it. Yes, it is pretty darn hard to get a good job with a criminal record...and in some cases it is just.

However, there are cases where someone made a mistake like getting caught with some mary jane, or say driving after 1-2 beers and getting caught, or say as an 18 year old you did something stupid and stole something...say all of these things were total outliers from the typical behavior of the individual....should that person pay for that for the rest of their life?

To me the answer is no. People deserve second chances to prove that they are not their worst mistake. Taking a one-strike-and-you-are-out stance is....well...stupid. Because you never know what may happen in life and when you may wind up in a similar situation where you are being judged for one stupid thing that you did. Should and when that day comes....will you be so set in you beliefs?

Honestly, I think that he should be made to pay a heftier price. I feel as though his punishment is a little on the light side. But that is for the courts and not me. I am no lawyer....just a biologist.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
As a man you are basically supposed to take the abuse and never retaliate. The best thing to do if you are a man that is being abused by a woman is to leave otherwise you will be the one behind bars.

And there is the other half of domestic violence explained, when the man is the victim. For those making a sweeping generalization that it's wrong if it's man on woman, but implying it's otherwise OK.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Maintaining integrity is far more important than signing one decent player while losing it. Integrity contributes to long-term success. Prefer not having any locker room drama, extra media BS, and better potential for UFA signing and resigning of our own players in general.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Think about how his teammates would feel about him too? All it would take is one or two to be totally appalled by his actions (or have the "deport him" attitude that many seem to take) to throw off team chemistry, and it's a safe bet at least a handful in every locker room including ours would be like "*******"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad