Proposal: WARNING: Re Slava Voynov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It seems that a lot of people are judging him based on their beliefs about social justice and stuff like that.
From what I know, he and his wife actually seem to love each other. He is a wealthy guy, could have a hot young russian girl any time, but instead lives and cares about his wife who is much older than him and has a child from another man.
From what I know of incident, they were both slightly drunk, started a conflict, then he pushed her, she hit a plazma with her head and recieved a cut because of that. He panicked and they made a drive to hospital, rest you probably know.

A lot of people seem to be rather harsh and dogmatic, he deserves a chance.

PS Not a Bruins fan, so didn't vote

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
It seems that a lot of people are judging him based on their beliefs about social justice and stuff like that.
From what I know, he and his wife actually seem to love each other. He is a wealthy guy, could have a hot young russian girl any time, but instead lives and cares about his wife who is much older than him and has a child from another man.
From what I know of incident, they were both slightly drunk, started a conflict, then he pushed her, she hit a plazma with her head and recieved a cut because of that. He panicked and they made a drive to hospital, rest you probably know.

The first bolded part is irrelevant. The second, well, I don't care how drunk he was, the fact that laying a hand in anger on his wife entered his mind at all and that he acted upon it says everything I need to know.

F this guy.

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
I believe in second chances. And I know all of you would want one if you ****** up. Voynov deserves another shot, and I wouldn't be opposed to Boston giving him one.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Did you know there are plenty of cases where the man is the victim in domestic violence?

Although maybe you were responding to certain posts I haven't read yet where someone has outright defended his actions. If so, I apologize!

Domestic violence is a major issue especially since it's rarely reported unless a neighbor or family member steps in. Unless you plan on cutting all ties with the significant other, it will seem unwise or perhaps dangerous to report it.

Because of that, I feel for his wife since there is a great chance this is not a first offense, or that it may happen again.

Until we hear otherwise, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove he can change. Otherwise society is lost. Hell, as someone else said even murderers go free eventually (sometimes).

As such I'd gladly take a player of his caliber if:

-- no implications on the locker room
-- first hint of trouble he is gone

Domestic violence is an incredibly eye opening issue to study if you get the chance. A brutal one, but very interesting if anyone is into sociology/criminal justice/psychology etc.

I work with at risk youth in a bad part of massachusetts, I deal with child victims of domestic violence and have seen first hand it's not a plight just of women. Beyond that, I learned pretty young it goes both ways and always assumed it to be just common sense to know that until I started to figure out how the world works and how blind people can be.

The rest of your post I can't really get on board with so I won't comment further

Whoever said that made a very ignorant statement.

The sad thing is man, this was Slava's wife who later assumed all blame. Perhaps she egged him on but there's no way you can convince me she should deserve even half the blame let alone ALL. I don't care if she said the nastiest possible things imaginable to him, you don't put your hands on someone. Especially when they are clearly physically weaker than you and would come to serious bodily harm just because you couldn't keep your cool. But it's a sad thing in our culture where women will actually do this to themselves and somehow find a way to blame themselves rather than see it for what it is and preferably leave the abusive situation.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
if they sign him and he plays well I want to see if people still have the same opinion. usually things change depending on the laundry.

I don't think anyone is doubting his skills as a hockey player. In fact, I think he is a very good hockey player. Doesn't mean I want him on my team, or any professional team for that matter.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly. Craig MacTavish got drunk, got behind the wheel of a car, smashed into the car of a young girl and killed her, robbing her family forever. It was swept under the rug, he was quickly shuttled out of town to western Canada where he's gone on to be a millionaire NHL luminary and no one has ever had a problem with it.

Funny how people like to play games with moral equivalencies.

Craig MacTavish was 30 freaking years ago! I have a dear friend whose father killed her mother in a domestic abuse case around then and he got 7 years for manslaughter for what would carry a life sentence today. Do we really want to return to the days of "Well, she asked for it when she asked for a divorce!" (something which was said about my friend's mom)?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The Bruins are my team, and I want to hold it to a higher standard than other teams. So, I'd say no -- let someone else take this guy on and his baggage.

Also think we should defer to the opinions of some of the female members on this, to get their perspective; mislysBB and Ladyfan, who are a strong "no way".

At the same time, I do think people can make mistakes, and they should be given second chances. So, I hope Voynov isn't just turfed from the NHL and his career and life heads downhill for what might be an isolated mistake or incident.

But as a Bruin? No.

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't think anyone is doubting his skills as a hockey player. In fact, I think he is a very good hockey player. Doesn't mean I want him on my team, or any professional team for that matter.

To that point, it's a shame for all hockey fans he did this, I always was proud of the fact you so rarely heard about these stories compared to the other sports - so he hurts hockey in that sense and in the sense that we lose a good player that makes the game better.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he deserves no second chance. I don't know all the details and hell he's the same age as me, what if I didn't get a second chance everytime i screwed up big (granted none of it involved violence) but I wouldn't want him here and he has a ways to go before he's repented in my mind.

There's no way of really knowing if he and his wife will be happy and healthy together and this was an isolated incident, or if it will be part of a pattern and his wife isn't mentally with it enough to see it as a abuse and she'll just keep blaming herself...

Too messy for me to say and because of that I wouldn't want the Bruins involved. I wish them both luck and I hope she is making the right choice backing him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
There are some things you don't get a second chance on . Hitting women or children are two of them as far as I'm concerned . Let his second chance happen with someone else ,

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

You may want to read this

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tiple-times--by-him-per-police-200257017.html

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There are some things you don't get a second chance on . Hitting women or children are two of them as far as I'm concerned . Let his second chance happen with someone else ,

Thats where I'm at Lou.

I will admit with me its a bit personal. My younger sister was a victim of domestic abuse. Her ex-husband put her in the hospital with a broken nose, cheekbone & orbital bone. Left my wife and I to care for our 1 month old nephew while she recovered physically.
She was so afraid they ended up living with us for a year.

Lucky for me I didnt catch him that night. I'd be the one in jail. I had to make restituition for the door I broke down. Have never seen him since.

**** anybody that hits a woman. Thats it for me.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't want to judge the guy but things are a little delecate right now to get into something this explosive. There will be a few in the room he won't sit well with for sure.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I admit I suggested the possibility of Voynov, but I was unaware of how serious his situation was and what he did. I definitely take back that suggestion, that's for sure.

I pretty much agree with everyone in here. You never lay your hands on a woman.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
No, I hope he gets deported and never comes back to any team.

Had a great career ahead of him and he ****ed it all up. I believe in second chances too, if you make a minor stupid mistake. What he did was NOT minor. Fans would not like it and I'm sure a lot of the team wouldn't either.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
For those clowns saying everyone deserves a second chance... try finding a job with a criminal record... guaranteed it will be a minimum wage job. Why would this idiot get millions paid to him by working class folks buying overpriced tickets ?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I didn't vote either way, but I would probably want to know more. Personally, I know of guys that have hit their wife, and it was a one time thing based on a specific issue (they divorced shortly after)...I also know of guys who have physically and verbally abused their wife, and IMO no amount of counseling will ever get them to stop, its who they are.

The devil is in the details as they say, and I would want to know what kind of person Voynov is outside of this one occurrence. If it was a one-time action and he serves his time and gets counseling, I suppose I would consider offering him a deal. If he was a repeat offender and this type of behavior is common for him, then the answer would be no.

Tough question.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
His situation is, should the NHL refuse to provide Voynov a continued millionaire's living, the KHL will do it's best to provide one for him. This isn't a situation where we need to lower our standards just to provide the appearance that his have somehow raised.

I get the want and need for forgiveness as something that distinguishes our societies (Thankfully) from others. But this is the kind of thing that should yield penalty. It's rarified air to play a child's game for millions of dollars, to adoring fans, celebration of media and really within most of the society in various forms of "gratitude". If the message sent by the NHL is, it's fine, you're forgiven, don't do it again (suspension, etc all taken into consideration), personally I don't think that's the right message.

Hockey operates (or at least does a remarkable job maintaining the appearance of) at a different level from the other big sports, or so it seems. I could care less what relativists say - I like that, and I want that to continue. I don't want the norms of basketball and football oozing into the fabric of the game's culture. And forgiving Voynov's cowardice seems like a gateway to it.

So, to your questions:

[W]ould you be so harsh if it were your child? I wouldn't stand in the way of necessary correction, mindful to point out that the actions taken were contrary to everything ever demonstrated and taught, egregious moreover because the very consequences experienced, were those that were given a preventative cautionary tales.

Would want the world to essentially exile your offspring due a lapse in judgement?
The world isn't going to end for Voynov. That's the fact. He's not facing exile, he's facing having to make a living in the country he was born in or the continent proximate to his country. He's likely still going to make ridiculous amounts of money by normative societal means.

And the fact he will be able to and not for example suffer longer prison term, or "justice" at the hands of a justifiably angry family is material representation of forgiveness.

So he doesn't get to live a North American millionaire's lifestyle but still gets to play hockey for a living for bags of cash? Interesting definition of exile.

Would you want them to have their entire future denied them due to ONE incident?

Compared to the privielge provided, I wouldn't want a lifestyle they weren't apparently equipped to steward appropriately and respectfully. And as said given the similarity of the question, ONE incident can determine a person's future. When that ONE incident is such a deformation, a deviation from ethical and moral standard...Yes, I would want the future produced by the present that indicated compromise of a vital nature, removed from them for their good and those that would potentially be in harm's way.

What some people refer to as "compassion" isn't compassion - it's idiocy.

Relativism is killing society. I don't want to handhold people like Voynov back to their worry-free, worship-saturated, millionaire, devil may care lifestyle, while their audience shields them from the reality they're protected from only to endure life and all of it's realities. I would rather pack his bags and drive him to the airport and have Georges Laramie ride shotgun, walk him to Departures and bid him in no uncertain terms - Adieu.

Excellent post :handclap::yo:

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

That's pretty sexist though. If a gay hockey player hit his husband it would be fine?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would also like to say that playing professional sports is a privilege not a right.

It isn't like this guy is going to starve to death, nor his family if they're still with him. He can make a ton of tax free money in the KHL.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Craig MacTavish was 30 freaking years ago! I have a dear friend whose father killed her mother in a domestic abuse case around then and he got 7 years for manslaughter for what would carry a life sentence today. Do we really want to return to the days of "Well, she asked for it when she asked for a divorce!" (something which was said about my friend's mom)?

Yes, 30 years ago. So, what? He took a life and is now a millionaire NHL luminary. That's the point. You're mixing apples and oranges.

I don't really know the facts of this case. The guy might have done it or he might not have. He pled "no contest"; he wasn't convicted on the felony charges. If the HF Boards and the LA prosecutors were so certain he was guilty, one has to wonder why they offered a plea deal. Whatever.

Didn't demigod Lucic slap around his girlfriend clubbing one night a few years back? Don't recall anyone calling for his immediate trade, or banishment from the league, back then.

Guess the answer to the question depends, as it always does, on whose ox is gored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad