Proposal: WARNING: Re Slava Voynov

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
because everyone will have forgotten about the behavior by then..... :help:

IF the guy has gone through his counseling and has not had any more incidents and is still with the same lady and still married (maybe more kids etc) sorry but you have to give a person credit for cleaning their act up and changing. Nothing wrong with at that point our Hockey Ops thinking about it.

And as I said before I hope he gets deported for this and is made an example of I voted no.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I feel really bad for the women in this thread and our female fans, some seriously ignorant (and I wouldn't even say any of you are bad people) stuff being thrown around.

But I guess it's no different than what we see and hear concerning how women are treated in our society every day. Look no further than with this case in "Slava's wife has assumed all blame" really? All? Sad. Victim gets blamed while we make excuses for the abuser. Next

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
We all know the situation by now.

I just want to get a feel on where Bruins fans stand on the possibility.

Should the LA Kings bow under pressure and terminate Voynov's contract a la Mike Richards, and the NHL reinstate him when his 90 day jail sentence ends (in time for training camp) Should the Bruins offer him a contract?

Yesterday all the talk was about Hagg's article and the importance on character, etc. For me, I'd have a hard time respecting a guy after this and knowing how delicate a room can be, I wouldn't take the chance if I were Sweeny - he has other options.

What is your opinion, Dom? And are you just throwing it out there, or did you hear something that led you to poll the board? :naughty:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I feel really bad for the women in this thread and our female fans, some seriously ignorant (and I wouldn't even say any of you are bad people) stuff being thrown around.

But I guess it's no different than what we see and hear concerning how women are treated in our society every day. Look no further than with this case in "Slava's wife has assumed all blame" really? All? Sad. Victim gets blamed while we make excuses for the abuser. Next

Amen .

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I'm going to say no. Not an emphatic no, but no none the less.

I see a lot of righteous indignation here and it is understandable. I however, like to keep in mind that he is a young man with his whole life ahead of him....do we as a society just punish someone for a mistake (horrible or otherwise) for the rest of their life? Hell even murderers get released after serving their time (depending on how heinous the act was).

I always look at it this way....would you be so harsh if it were your child? Would want the world to essentially exile your offspring due a lapse in judgement? Would you want them to have their entire future denied them due to ONE incident?

It's always easy to have such a strong stance when it relates to a stranger....but that is not always the case.

People deserve second chances....otherwise we would all be ****ed at some point.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Who am I to judge him personally? If the Law says he's a free man & has paid his dues for his crime, then I'm ok with him on the Bruins blue line.

I believe in second chances, God knows I've gotten them

No kidding. We all have. If someone on here has never made a mistake and caused someone hurt and pain, I call ********. I'm not taking his side, what he did is awful, but life is about taking chances and giving chances and hoping that we all grown and learn together. I hope to hell voynov has learned what he did was disgraceful and won't ever do it again. He deserves a chance to prove that after he serves his penalty.

I'm more in line with these guys...

I don't believe in judging people. My brother in law is a judge, it took years of hard work and study and the decisions he makes weigh on him daily. So if the people who get paid to make these decisions say Voynov's paid his dues and deserves a second chance I'm not going to argue with them or pretend I know better.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

:handclap: great post

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

I see a lot of righteous indignation here and it is understandable. I however, like to keep in mind that he is a young man with his whole life ahead of him....do we as a society just punish someone for a mistake (horrible or otherwise) for the rest of their life? Hell even murderers get released after serving their time (depending on how heinous the act was).

I always look at it this way....would you be so harsh if it were your child? Would want the world to essentially exile your offspring due a lapse in judgement? Would you want them to have their entire future denied them due to ONE incident?

It's always easy to have such a strong stance when it relates to a stranger....but that is not always the case.

People deserve second chances....otherwise we would all be ****ed at some point.

Unfortunately when you're in the public eye and get the PRIVILEGE or playing a kid's game for a living, you need to sacrifice being able to beat your wife and be forgiven for it. No, when you pull on the jersey of a sports team, you represent that team and that city however unfair that is.

I don't think anyone here is saying that he should be locked up forever with no chance of living a decent life, just that they wouldn't ever want him as a member of their favorite hockey team.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Look at the Craig MacTavish and the alleged Doug Gilmour cases and those guys got to play again, I say everyone deserves a second chance, of course if it were ever to happen again the the league needs to ban him.

Exactly. Craig MacTavish got drunk, got behind the wheel of a car, smashed into the car of a young girl and killed her, robbing her family forever. It was swept under the rug, he was quickly shuttled out of town to western Canada where he's gone on to be a millionaire NHL luminary and no one has ever had a problem with it.

Funny how people like to play games with moral equivalencies.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Tell me about it.

This is not a court of law, it's sports. An optional part of life, a form of entertainment. What the courts decide is his debt to society has no reflection on whether or not he should have the opportunity to make millions in the NHL anymore and whether I should accept him on my team.

I'm one fan, and Charlie Jacobs couldn't give a **** about me but I wouldn't spend one cent on this team if this guy was here. I would be disgusted.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Unfortunately when you're in the public eye and get the PRIVILEGE or playing a kid's game for a living, you need to sacrifice being able to beat your wife and be forgiven for it. No, when you pull on the jersey of a sports team, you represent that team and that city however unfair that is.

I don't think anyone here is saying that he should be locked up forever with no chance of living a decent life, just that they wouldn't ever want him as a member of their favorite hockey team.

This.

Apparently he has a KHL contract lined up after he finishes his sentence, as per Yahoo: link

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

This post. 100%

Having Voynov on the Bruins? Hell to the ****ing no. I don't even care if he is/was a decent hockey player. I can't support someone who admittingly beat his wife.
He could get all the counseling in the world, and I still wouldn't want him on the team. Maybe the 90 days in jail will open his eyes, but other than that...no.

And I can't imagine the other guys on the B's who have wives and girlfriends being okay with it either.

Last edited:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

Whoever said that made a very ignorant statement.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
I'd want them to. Obviously what he did is completely wrong and there's no defending it, but I do think everyone deserves a second chance.

If anything, a team signing him might make him more determined to not do anything like this in the future. Show him that he's gotten a second chance, might turn his live around and make him all the more determined on the ice as well.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

His situation is, should the NHL refuse to provide Voynov a continued millionaire's living, the KHL will do it's best to provide one for him. This isn't a situation where we need to lower our standards just to provide the appearance that his have somehow raised.

I get the want and need for forgiveness as something that distinguishes our societies (Thankfully) from others. But this is the kind of thing that should yield penalty. It's rarified air to play a child's game for millions of dollars, to adoring fans, celebration of media and really within most of the society in various forms of "gratitude". If the message sent by the NHL is, it's fine, you're forgiven, don't do it again (suspension, etc all taken into consideration), personally I don't think that's the right message.

Hockey operates (or at least does a remarkable job maintaining the appearance of) at a different level from the other big sports, or so it seems. I could care less what relativists say - I like that, and I want that to continue. I don't want the norms of basketball and football oozing into the fabric of the game's culture. And forgiving Voynov's cowardice seems like a gateway to it.

So, to your questions:

[W]ould you be so harsh if it were your child? I wouldn't stand in the way of necessary correction, mindful to point out that the actions taken were contrary to everything ever demonstrated and taught, egregious moreover because the very consequences experienced, were those that were given a preventative cautionary tales.

Would want the world to essentially exile your offspring due a lapse in judgement?
The world isn't going to end for Voynov. That's the fact. He's not facing exile, he's facing having to make a living in the country he was born in or the continent proximate to his country. He's likely still going to make ridiculous amounts of money by normative societal means.

And the fact he will be able to and not for example suffer longer prison term, or "justice" at the hands of a justifiably angry family is material representation of forgiveness.

So he doesn't get to live a North American millionaire's lifestyle but still gets to play hockey for a living for bags of cash? Interesting definition of exile.

Would you want them to have their entire future denied them due to ONE incident?

Compared to the privielge provided, I wouldn't want a lifestyle they weren't apparently equipped to steward appropriately and respectfully. And as said given the similarity of the question, ONE incident can determine a person's future. When that ONE incident is such a deformation, a deviation from ethical and moral standard...Yes, I would want the future produced by the present that indicated compromise of a vital nature, removed from them for their good and those that would potentially be in harm's way.

What some people refer to as "compassion" isn't compassion - it's idiocy.

Relativism is killing society. I don't want to handhold people like Voynov back to their worry-free, worship-saturated, millionaire, devil may care lifestyle, while their audience shields them from the reality they're protected from only to endure life and all of it's realities. I would rather pack his bags and drive him to the airport and have Georges Laramie ride shotgun, walk him to Departures and bid him in no uncertain terms - Adieu.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
I read the poll wrong and selected yes, when in fact it should be no. No way would I want this guy on the team. Not condoning domestic violence or anything, as I think it is deplorable, but sometimes there are two sides of the story and if you don't know all the facts, you can be quick to judge. I'm known some guys who have had the cops called on them or arrested because an angry GF lied or falsely accused them of something. However when you beat your wife or gf to bloody pulp and are charged with a felony, there isn't any way to deny that you are a piece of ****. **** that guy. I would be disgusted if the Bruins signed him.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Did you know there are plenty of cases where the man is the victim in domestic violence?

Although maybe you were responding to certain posts I haven't read yet where someone has outright defended his actions. If so, I apologize!

Domestic violence is a major issue especially since it's rarely reported unless a neighbor or family member steps in. Unless you plan on cutting all ties with the significant other, it will seem unwise or perhaps dangerous to report it.

Because of that, I feel for his wife since there is a great chance this is not a first offense, or that it may happen again.

Until we hear otherwise, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove he can change. Otherwise society is lost. Hell, as someone else said even murderers go free eventually (sometimes).

As such I'd gladly take a player of his caliber if:

-- no implications on the locker room
-- first hint of trouble he is gone

Domestic violence is an incredibly eye opening issue to study if you get the chance. A brutal one, but very interesting if anyone is into sociology/criminal justice/psychology etc.

Last edited:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
if they sign him and he plays well I want to see if people still have the same opinion. usually things change depending on the laundry.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Forgiveness is between him and whatever deity he believes in, it's not coming from me. I don't want his second chance to come here. I felt the same way about Joe Corvo and I'll stay consistent on this one. They're both trash. I didn't want Corvo on this team and I don't want Voynov here now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
if they sign him and he plays well I want to see if people still have the same opinion. usually things change depending on the laundry.

I remember Sox fans giving Wil Cordero a standing ovation for getting a big hit in the first game he played after beating his pregnant wife with telephone, so you're spot on about that dynamic.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
So we are talking about taking on all the baggage of a very talented 6ft Dman who put up 51pts in 76 games for the Manchester Monarchs (when he was 20/21 yrs old) when we just acquired a 6ft-1 Dman who put up 52pts in 70 games for the Manchester Monarchs when he was 21 years old?

I'd rather take my chances with Miller and Morrow --they don't have the experience but they also don't the experience of being behind bars for wife beating.

Zac Rinaldo*

he moves the puck better and controls the pace of play better than any D on this roster, especially under pressure. he's also more physical than he's given credit for, on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad