News Article: Waiver Claim - Gabriel Dumont

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is it really that bad a thing to force our high end prospects to be ready for 3rd line duties or better before they crack the roster? Because that's what filling out our 4th line with depth guys does.

Nobody want's White or even Paul playing 7 mins a night on the 4th line. We want them breaking it playing 10-15 mins on Pageau's wing or in the top 6.

Can't win. Play our prospects on the 4th line, and we aren't using them right. Fill the 4th line with vets, and we're blocking prospects.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Don't expect this guy to see much ice since we are shifting slowly to an unorthodox unproven gameday roster of 7 forwards (Worst/oldest 6 skaters on the roster plus Eugene as the +1), 10 d-men (5 pairs of d allow for constant different combos) and 3 goalies (one per period) :sarcasm:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Paul needs to play in the NHL. Its time to bring him up he is actually big and physical which is something this team lacks big time. I am not sure how he can earn the coachs trust if he never gives him a chance. Boucher is over coaching this season its very evident. This is why players tune him out and this is why his shelf life as a coach is so short.

What makes you think Paul is physical, he’s big but he’s not physical.

If you’re fighting for your NHL life and you are given a shot to be the big LW who’s physical, you’d come in and lay some hits, bury a few Dmen, fall on a goalie, tackle a few guys in front of the net. Paul did non of those things and that’s why he’s not in the NHL

Reactions: Cosmix

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
...was good ol' Cory Connacher unavailable?!

Actually I'm excited to see Dumont on the ice...in action

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I just feel like that at any moment GB is going to rip off that "Le Chiffre" mask and laugh menacingly as Bloefeld while reviewing the roster with the media on game day.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ideal situation is to have 13 forwards, with the 13th being somebody who you don't screw up if he's in the pressbox half of the time. My guess is that's the role Dumont was brought in for.

Guys on pretty close to a league minimum deal. This is pretty inconsequential. Allows us to send Paul down when he's not playing games.

Exactly. We've been dragging Paul around as a healthy scratch as insurance. That's no good for his development. I'd rather drag Dumont around and let Paul play games in Belleville.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I love Boucher and like most of his acquisitions. But the gm needs to say no sometimes. Does the gm have a vision?
Ok I'll wait and watch but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Because a GM claims a guy that his coach likes on waivers means that he has no vision? What?

I remember when Hoffman was on waivers we need to claim a guy like that on the waiver wire

What does it have to do with this? Waivers at the beginning of the season is completely different as every team has several bubble guys and prospects trying to make it. The waiver wire is full and it's unlikely that a guy gets claimed because it guarantees him a roster spot (and NHL salary)...If a team claims a guy in the waiver wire after training camp, it's because they like him more than their other prospects and bubble guys trying to make it, aka they probably a very bad prospect pool and depth.

Ideal situation is to have 13 forwards, with the 13th being somebody who you don't screw up if he's in the pressbox half of the time. My guess is that's the role Dumont was brought in for.

Guys on pretty close to a league minimum deal. This is pretty inconsequential. Allows us to send Paul down when he's not playing games.

Actually, I hope they send down Dido instead. He's good with the puck on his stick but that's about it. Not a NHL player otherwise. Paul on the other hand seems to be able to do a bit of everything.

Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Paul-Thompson-Pyatt
Dumont

is my bottom 6

How can't you see it? Dorion is the guy who signed him to the ridiculous one-way contract.

Did you understand what I said?

Even if he is waived next year and goes there he will cost $300k. That's not chicken feed in the AHL and that kind of dough usually reserved for top producing tweeners or journeymen defensemen.

Edit : my mistake, you're right... apparently he has clause garanteeing him a 300K next year...

This is not a very good NHL roster. Unfortunately, this is what we have for next year now too, minus Didomenico. You know for sure that we will signing a "depth guy" to fill out that 4th line because "development".

How come?

Ryan-Brassard-Stone looked very good as a top-line. Duchene and Hoffman are no slouches I think. Dzingel is not ideal in the top-6 but it is what it is after that MacArthur left a big hole in the middle of the line-up, forcing Dzingel out of the 3rd line (and Burrows out of the 4th line)

Pageau and Smith are great 3rd liners, capable of producing more when needed (like in 2015-16). Burrows has been producing at a 34 pts pace with the Sens

Thompson, Pyatt are great 4th liners. Dumont is an energy player, let's see how he plays with Ottawa before judging anything

This "not very good roster" was 3rd in GF/GP before the Pittsburgh game and 6th in P% in the whole league.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Are we seriously arguing over whether a waiver claim's 2-way salary in the AHL is 200k or 300k? Who f***ing cares.

How pathetic do you have to be to be digging this deep to get your rage boner going against management?

Reactions: HSF

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Dorion reads these boards ladies and gentlemen. It's a fact (e4). He's been taking posts to heart and this move addresses some of the concerns expressed within these pages.

Dumont will be moved at the dealine for a 2019 6th round pick.

It's asset management.

ASSET.

MANAGEMENT!!

Nice job Dorion!! :thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Is it really that bad a thing to force our high end prospects to be ready for 3rd line duties or better before they crack the roster? Because that's what filling out our 4th line with depth guys does.

Nobody want's White or even Paul playing 7 mins a night on the 4th line. We want them breaking it playing 10-15 mins on Pageau's wing or in the top 6.

Can't win. Play our prospects on the 4th line, and we aren't using them right. Fill the 4th line with vets, and we're blocking prospects.
The only reason they're playing 7 minutes is because of Boucher. There's no reason guys on our 4th line can't play 10-12 minutes with some 2nd unit PP time like Burrows is.

It'd be nice to not have to run our top guys into the ground and lose in the third period over and over.

Would rather see White or Paul get whatever opportunity Dumont will get.

I don't mind Dumont as a pick up on its own, I just don't like the overall developing narrative that our prospects are basically getting cock blocked. Dumont over White, Oduya over Chabot basically. Need to keep getting younger and faster.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I like how the theme last year was that Lazar was rushed but we are a quarter through this season and there’s zero patience as we wait for the younger players to get a shot.
Not just that but people actively spread fake news around these boards.

Dzingle, Harpur, Claesson, Wideman have all been giving plenty of chances to make a difference on our roster since Boucher came on board

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only reason they're playing 7 minutes is because of Boucher. There's no reason guys on our 4th line can't play 10-12 minutes with some 2nd unit PP time like Burrows is.

It'd be nice to not have to run our top guys into the ground and lose in the third period over and over.

Would rather see White or Paul get whatever opportunity Dumont will get.

I don't mind Dumont as a pick up on its own, I just don't like the overall developing narrative that our prospects are basically getting cock blocked. Dumont over White, Oduya over Chabot basically. Need to keep getting younger and faster.

What opportunity is Dumont really expected to get though. At best, I can see him getting Thompson like deployment (I certainly wouldn't count on it), more likely though, he'll get something similar to Wingels. 10 mins a night, playing 4th line, no PP time, some PK. In and out of the lineup. That's exactly what I don't want Paul or White doing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wonder if we see any chemistry alongside Dido and Hoffman

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

What the heck are you talking about? Gabriel Dumont will make 200 000$ in the AHL in 2018-19 (unless when/if he plays in the NHL). ..............................

I only quoted this part of your post because something I posted (and subsequently expanded) was re-posted by Chezzz and mistakenly taken as though it was his original comment. While Dumont's AHL contract says he will earn $200k he has a minimum $300k guarantee clause in the 2nd year of his 2 way deal. It's no big deal though

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He makes 300k next year FYI. His minors salary is only 200k, but he has a 300k guarantee.

I don't know anything about Dumont, but on the surface I don't see much issue with claiming a player making league minimum in the NHL for the next two years who (let's not kid ourselves) Guy Boucher will use as an NHL body.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
McCormick is small. I've seen him in person and he's like maybe 5'10.5 on a good day and about 185lbs. He's an AHL lifer imo.
I assume you are aware that he has a one way contract for next season & will most likely be on the team in Ottawa next season on a more permanent basis.

I wonder why EM continues to keep Dorion as GM when GB is doing both jobs? Just kidding, sort of ... maybe. So they add another small speedy forward to the roster, how many does GB need on this roster exactly before he is satisfied? On a much more positive note, I heard today on the radio that Paul might get an opportunity with Duchene & Ryan tonight, finally.

To Anybody: Dzingel, DiDo, Pyatt, Thompson, Wideman, Dumont & Burrows
To Ottawa: One big, tough, powerforward who can score ... a Neal, Mantha, Simmons type of player.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
No he really doesnt, he has no skill and is not an NHL hockey player. I get that people like his effort but I think half of that is he looks like he is working so hard because of his unorthodox skating stride. He accomplishes next to nothing at the NHL level, even when he hits he just bounces off guys.

This is what kills me. Who cares how hard a guy works? All that matters is the results. If a guy is faster skating at 50% than a guy skating at 100%... Give me the first guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad