W Marko Dano (2013, 27th overall, Columbus)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Daňo was both the scoring and goal scoring leader of the recent Div IA U18 World Championships in Slovakia, scoring 10 goals and adding 3 assists for 13 points in five games. Got named tournament´s best forward, MVP and Slovakia´s bets player.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Daňo was both the scoring and goal scoring leader of the recent Div IA U18 World Championships in Slovakia, scoring 10 goals and adding 3 assists for 13 points in five games. Got named tournament´s best forward, MVP and Slovakia´s bets player.

Who do you compare him to?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Any word on him coming over to NA and the WHL this coming season?

Prince George has some terrific young talent and will have another high Euro pick in June. Perhaps another selection from Slovakia or Czech and they could have a good duo over here?

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Dano preferred option to stay at home during 2011/12 season and eventually move to CHL next season. He plays regularly for senior team of Dukla Trencin, so this could be difficult.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Bad news for Prince George Cougars as Marko signs with Slovan Bratislava to play in the KHL. I guess a good choice depending on how much ice-time he'll get, what line he plays on and who his linemates will be. Anyway being on the team with Šatan and Pálffy (if they decide to play for Slovan) will be a great experience. Also the coach Čada should be a good influence on him.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Bad news for Prince George Cougars as Marko signs with Slovan Bratislava to play in the KHL. I guess a good choice depending on how much ice-time he'll get, what line he plays on and who his linemates will be. Anyway being on the team with Å atan and Pálffy (if they decide to play for Slovan) will be a great experience. Also the coach Čada should be a good influence on him.

I'm assuming he's not going to get much if any icetime on Slovan, I don't see how this is a good thing. Unless Slovan has a farm team in the slovak league, there he could maybe play top-6 minutes?

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
I'm assuming he's not going to get much if any icetime on Slovan, I don't see how this is a good thing. Unless Slovan has a farm team in the slovak league, there he could maybe play top-6 minutes?

Well, I think he wouldn't sign with Slovan if they would put him on the farm. Slovan's farm team is Skalica, so that makes no sense to go there when he already played top-6 in Dukla Trencin.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What kind of upside does he have? Does an NHL team own his rights? Does his signing in the KHL solidify he will never play in the NHL?

Thanks

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
What kind of upside does he have? Does an NHL team own his rights? Does his signing in the KHL solidify he will never play in the NHL?

Thanks

He can be strong on the puck, has soft hands, good playmaking ability, hard shot, sweet passes. He was drafted in the CHL by Prince George Cougars, is eligible for the NHL 2013 draft. Could go in the 2/3 round, maybe even first if he has an excellent season. Playing in KHL doesn't mean ho doesn't want to play in the NHL, he had the opportunity to play in KHL so he took it rather than playing major junior.

85. Marko Dano—F—HK Dukla Trencin 5’11/183 An amazing puck handler who is able to go one on one with just about anyone and come out on top, his hands open up space for him where in open area he has a very hard shot that is accurate, his down fall is his best asset though his puck handling, he relies on it a bit too much and ends up turning the puck over.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Well, I think he wouldn't sign with Slovan if they would put him on the farm. Slovan's farm team is Skalica, so that makes no sense to go there when he already played top-6 in Dukla Trencin.

Did he really?

I'm just skeptical because 18-year-olds very rarely play in the KHL, and I don't see Dano playing top-6 minutes in the KHL next season, that would be insane. This is judging by what I saw from Dano in the last WJC and the general level of play in the KHL. Not saying that he's not an intriguing prospect, and I rather liked how he looked in the WJC.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He can be strong on the puck, has soft hands, good playmaking ability, hard shot, sweet passes. He was drafted in the CHL by Prince George Cougars, is eligible for the NHL 2013 draft. Could go in the 2/3 round, maybe even first if he has an excellent season. Playing in KHL doesn't mean ho doesn't want to play in the NHL, he had the opportunity to play in KHL so he took it rather than playing major junior.

Sounds like a Red Wings draf pick :sarcasm:

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Did he really?

I'm just skeptical because 18-year-olds very rarely play in the KHL, and I don't see Dano playing top-6 minutes in the KHL next season, that would be insane. This is judging by what I saw from Dano in the last WJC and the general level of play in the KHL. Not saying that he's not an intriguing prospect, and I rather liked how he looked in the WJC.

He started the season on Dukla Trencin's 4th line, then as the season progressed he even centered the frist line for some matches. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying he will be playing top-6 for Slovan, since neither I am expecting this. As for the WJC he was underutilized as they played him on the 4th line. He did great at the U18 WJC D1A where he had two hattricks i think and scored 10 goals.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
In his first game in KHL ever (after serious injury) Marko Daňo scored a beauty goal for Slovan Bratislava. Slovan beat Barys Astana 4:2 and Marko scored 2nd goal. ;)

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
In his first game in KHL ever (after serious injury) Marko Daňo scored a beauty goal for Slovan Bratislava. Slovan beat Barys Astana 4:2 and Marko scored 2nd goal. ;)

The goal scored by Marko Daňo start at 0:33

Last edited:

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Daňo added an assist today. He passes the puck to Andrej Šťastný, who made it 2:2. It start at 3:14... He had a nice self-made breakaway (1:24), but defender stopped him.
Anyway there's a great chemistry between Marko and Andrej Šťastný (former WHL player), who was his teammate even last season in Dukla Trenčín/Slovak Extaliga.
He's 1+1 in 3 games now. Considering he's playing 8-9 minutes per game, that's very good :handclap:.

Metallurg Magnitogorsk - Slovan Bratislava 3:2

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
He sent him flying :handclap:. The only missing part was this song :laugh:

EDIT:
NHL.com has some nice words on Daňo. CSS Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said:

Stubb said that while there may not be first-round caliber players coming out of Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Norway or Belarus this year, Slovakian center Marko Dano is "one serious contender."

Dano is ranked No. 7 among skaters playing in Russia.

The 5-11, 183-pound forward has two goals, four points and a plus-3 rating in 18 games with Slovan Bratislava in the KHL this season. The fact he averages only about 10 minutes of ice time a game probably explains his low point production. Dano's Canadian Hockey League rights are held by the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.

"He's a slippery, smart center," Stubb said. "He's a Slovakian playing for a Slovakian team, Slovan Bratislava, in the Russian-dominated KHL. He's smallish, but has a good combination of speed, stick work and smarts. He plays a steady two-way game and gives a consistent effort on every shift. At the present, he's the best prospect from former powerhouses Slovakia and Czech Republic."

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646002

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad