W Marko Dano (2013, 27th overall, Columbus)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
DOB:30/11/1994
Position:C
Height:180cm/5´11"
Weight:90kg/176lbs
Team: Dukla Trenčín

2010/2011
SVK Extraliga 3GP 0G 0A 0PTS 4PIM 3SOG
SVK U20 24GP 17G 19A 36PTS +20 57PIM 109SOG
SVK U18 9GP 13G 4A 17PTS +11 2PIM 41SOG

2009/2010
SVK U18 36GP 13G 12A 25PTS +21 77PIM 89SOG
SVK U16 16GP 18G 18A 36PTS +34 36PIM 106SOG

dano1.jpg

He already has his thread over at the Central European forum, but I thought I might throw his name out here as well. The Daňo surname is a pretty well known hockey surname in Czech-o-Slovakia :)sarcasm:) as Jozef Daňo was a pretty good player in the Czechoslovak and later in both the Slovak and Czech leagues, even representing Slovakia internationally at a number of WC´s and the Lilehammer and Nagano Olympics. Today it seems that his son Marko is not only following in his father´s footsteps, but might actually turn out much better than his dad. Marko has made great progress over the last year- in 2009/2010 he was a good player in U18 league, but still logged time in the U16 league and now a year later he is one of the top players on Dukla Trenčín´s U20 team and in his last 3 games in the U20 Extraliga he scored 8 points just prior to being called up to the men´s team and becoming the 3rd youngest player in the history of Slovak Extraliga with 16 years,1 month and 21 days. The only two players who were younger than him while making their Extraliga debut were Marián Gáborík (16y. and 27 days) and Andrej MeszároÅ¡ (16y.,3m. and 1 day). And he looked pretty comfortable in his first three games and it seems at least for now he should stick with the men´s team.

He also represents Slovakia internationall of course, he started the season with the U17 national team, but he wasn´t playing at the U17 WHC as at that time he was at a 5 nations U18 tournament in Switzerland, where we lead the Slovak team in scoring and baring an injury he should be one of the U18 team leaders at the U18 WHC in Germany in April.

Hopefully he pans out, because as much of a rarity are really talented forwards in Slovakia lately, really talented centers have often been rarity even before these days- even in our strongest separate Slovakia years it was our weakest spot on the NT.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
That last video with the documentary about him was great, I just wish they would make more of those. He seems to have a real passion for the game and a great scoring touch. What was said in that interview is that the next season he will play in Trencin and after that he wants to go to north America. He is the guy to watch at the upcoming U18 wjc.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
That last video with the documentary about him was great, I just wish they would make more of those. He seems to have a real passion for the game and a great scoring touch. What was said in that interview is that the next season he will play in Trencin and after that he wants to go to north America. He is the guy to watch at the upcoming U18 wjc.

They did more of them. Keď vyrastiem (When I grow up) is one of the programmes STV created and is showing in the run-up to the 2011 IHWC.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
2011/2012 update

He started the season with Dukla Trenčín´s men´s team. He play on what on paper is Dukla´s 4th line, but even so they contribute to Dukla´s offensive success in the league so far and get quiet a lot of minutes (TOI is not counted in Slovak league, but from what I´v seen it could be 10+). So far he has 2G and 1Assist, 12 SOG in 6 games. He scored the two goals in 79 second against MHC Martin in the 2nd game of the season in a 7:0 blowout.

Couldn´t get youtube of it, but maybe this might work: http://sportky.topky.sk/c/72000/video-trencania-nastrielali-mhc-mountfield-sedem-golov In the video from about 1:50 to 2:20

Here a bit on him from Slovak TV, with some footage from an another Slovak league game against Skalica:

From what I´ve heard anywhere that Dukla´s played so far this season, the fans of Dukla´s opponent have been raving about Daňo and his play, even more than Dukla´s fans do. :laugh:

One more funny thing, a while ago Dukla Trenčín auctioned two sets of special jerseys that they used during the off-season to commemorate their 40 year anniversary. Marko´s black jersey that he wore in an exhibition game in which he scored hus first goal against men got the most bids (132) and was auctioned for the 2nd highest price 328 Euro. I guess a lot of people believed that it could eventually become a prized possesion.

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
DOB:30/11/1994
Position:C
Height:180cm/5´11"
Weight:90kg/176lbs
Team: Dukla Trenčín

2010/2011
SVK Extraliga 3GP 0G 0A 0PTS 4PIM 3SOG
SVK U20 24GP 17G 19A 36PTS +20 57PIM 109SOG
SVK U18 9GP 13G 4A 17PTS +11 2PIM 41SOG

2009/2010
SVK U18 36GP 13G 12A 25PTS +21 77PIM 89SOG
SVK U16 16GP 18G 18A 36PTS +34 36PIM 106SOG

dano1.jpg

He already has his thread over at the Central European forum, but I thought I might throw his name out here as well. The Daňo surname is a pretty well known hockey surname in Czech-o-Slovakia :)sarcasm:) as Jozef Daňo was a pretty good player in the Czechoslovak and later in both the Slovak and Czech leagues, even representing Slovakia internationally at a number of WC´s and the Lilehammer and Nagano Olympics. Today it seems that his son Marko is not only following in his father´s footsteps, but might actually turn out much better than his dad. Marko has made great progress over the last year- in 2009/2010 he was a good player in U18 league, but still logged time in the U16 league and now a year later he is one of the top players on Dukla Trenčín´s U20 team and in his last 3 games in the U20 Extraliga he scored 8 points just prior to being called up to the men´s team and becoming the 3rd youngest player in the history of Slovak Extraliga with 16 years,1 month and 21 days. The only two players who were younger than him while making their Extraliga debut were Marián Gáborík (16y. and 27 days) and Andrej MeszároÅ¡ (16y.,3m. and 1 day). And he looked pretty comfortable in his first three games and it seems at least for now he should stick with the men´s team.

He also represents Slovakia internationall of course, he started the season with the U17 national team, but he wasn´t playing at the U17 WHC as at that time he was at a 5 nations U18 tournament in Switzerland, where we lead the Slovak team in scoring and baring an injury he should be one of the U18 team leaders at the U18 WHC in Germany in April.

Hopefully he pans out, because as much of a rarity are really talented forwards in Slovakia lately, really talented centers have often been rarity even before these days- even in our strongest separate Slovakia years it was our weakest spot on the NT.

Drafted by the Prince George Cougars of the WHL.

He should definitely come over to Canada.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Drafted by the Prince George Cougars of the WHL.

He should definitely come over to Canada.

Everything has it´s time. He´s just 16 years old and even he himself feels too young to go play half a world away from home. Especially when he can get regular minutes playing with/against men. If nothing shocking happens, he will be in Prince George for 2012/2013. And he´ll be a much better/complete player for them than he´d be right now. And I´m sure PG were well aware of that, risking picking him so low in the draft. Had he had any serious plans of coming over for 2011/2012, he´d have an agreement with some team in place and would have been picked much higher and the chance that the Cougars would get him would be pretty slim.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Everything has it´s time. He´s just 16 years old and even he himself feels too young to go play half a world away from home. Especially when he can get regular minutes playing with/against men. If nothing shocking happens, he will be in Prince George for 2012/2013. And he´ll be a much better/complete player for them than he´d be right now. And I´m sure PG were well aware of that, risking picking him so low in the draft. Had he had any serious plans of coming over for 2011/2012, he´d have an agreement with some team in place and would have been picked much higher and the chance that the Cougars would get him would be pretty slim.

Petrovicky still lives in PG, could be a good spot for him?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

i think, he will go to NA after the NHL draft. Its better for him , i think. Whzen he can play between mans, its better. They he can go and adjust to NA hockey. So it will be in the 2013/2014 season.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
i think, he will go to NA after the NHL draft. Its better for him , i think. Whzen he can play between mans, its better. They he can go and adjust to NA hockey. So it will be in the 2013/2014 season.

Doubt it. He´s said it a few times that he´s planning to come over for 2012/2013 already.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Got an assist tonight- supposedly he made a beautiful pass on his team´s first goal (haven´t seen it yet) in a 3-2 win over the league leaders Zvolen.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Ah commooon. Will we refer about every shift he made in a game? :shakehead

Ok, he is a talent, but that doesn't mean,we should write about every point he made.

I completely agree, but look around, a lot of people around here does the same about every other promising prospect and I'm not saying it's good, however I think it doesn't hurt ;)
Maybe he just wanted to get this thread noticed again.

Here are the highlights.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Today Marko centered the 1st line with Ján Pardavý and Tibor Melichárek on the wings. He had 2 assists in the 3:2 OT win against MsHK Žilina.

From what I´ve seen and heard he´s been their most noticeable player lately. He gets into scoring chances (earlier this week when his team managed only embarassing 13 SOG during the whole game he had 5 of those shots) and he´s also always creating some great passes out there, though sometimes they seem to be so smart that even his linemates don´t figure them out, lol. :laugh: He´s also pretty much the only player on his team who tries to throw his weight around at least a little bit.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Marko plaed his first U20 tourney scoring 2 goals in 3 games. Doesn´t sound too great, but the Slovak team finished last managing to score only 7 goals overall and his 2points for 2 goals still were good enough to make him the scoring leader of the Slovak team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->