W Marko Dano (2013, 27th overall, Columbus)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Watching the world junior games I noticed the announcers, every two seconds: "Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano"

When he's on the ice you hear his name ALOT. I always take that as a sign that a player has a high level of involvement in all three zones. Guys like that tend to be special players.

I know it sounds like something silly to go on but I've noticed this tendency with guys like Claude Giroux, Mike Richards, Ryan McDonagh, Ryan Getzlaf, just to name a few. All really good players.

Now I'm not saying Dano will be as good as those guys, but I think his tendency to make himself noticed speaks to the type of player he is. He's not a follower on the ice, he's a leader. He takes charge, he makes a difference. I think there's alot of upside with this type of player.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Watching the world junior games I noticed the announcers, every two seconds: "Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano, Marko Dano"

When he's on the ice you hear his name ALOT. I always take that as a sign that a player has a high level of involvement in all three zones. Guys like that tend to be special players.

Absolutely. Dano showed excellent hockey sense - constantly in passing lanes breaking up plays and going to all the right areas in the offensive zone. The guy was a force all over the ice.

Dano was one of the best draft elibigle players I saw in the tournament. Looked much better than Nathan McKinnon IMO.

Surprised he isn't getting more attention. Would take him in the 1st round.

matys

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Yesterday was his first game after WJC vs Traktor. He was a irritable player for Traktor. He drew 3 penalties in the first period with his agility. I think that WJC filled him with confidence.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Daňo played his first men's World Championship game yesterday against Latvia (he became 3rd youngest Slovak player to do so after Marián Hossa and Jiří Bicek). Brought some energy to the 4th line and got an assist on one of Slovakia's three goals.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Daňo played his first men's World Championship game yesterday against Latvia (he became 3rd youngest Slovak player to do so after Marián Hossa and Jiří Bicek). Brought some energy to the 4th line and got an assist on one of Slovakia's three goals.

Is Dano better than Tatar at the same age?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Is Dano better than Tatar at the same age?

Hm, hard to say. He looks very good in the WCH. i like, how he is playing. Also on WJC he had good games. He played regularly in KHL as a 17 years old boy. Tatar only in SVK league.

Nobody knows, what will the future show us, but IMO, yes, he is better than Tatar.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Hm, hard to say. He looks very good in the WCH. i like, how he is playing. Also on WJC he had good games. He played regularly in KHL as a 17 years old boy. Tatar only in SVK league.

Nobody knows, what will the future show us, but IMO, yes, he is better than Tatar.

No, he isn´t. Skating will always holds him back.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No, he isn´t. Skating will always holds him back.

a) I find skating to be the single most overrated attribute (other than bloodlines, but that shouldn't even count, IMO). Plenty of players have become great without great skating and plenty of great skating players do nothing. It's not the end all to be all like some make it out to be.

b) Dano's skating is underrated. He does not possess a great top gear and will never blow anybody away with his speed. However he is an elusive player, that turns really well. He can buy time for himself with that elusiveness to create plays, which he does very well since he sees the ice really well. It's not like he is slow as molasses either.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
a) I find skating to be the single most overrated attribute (other than bloodlines, but that shouldn't even count, IMO). Plenty of players have become great without great skating and plenty of great skating players do nothing. It's not the end all to be all like some make it out to be.

b) Dano's skating is underrated. He does not possess a great top gear and will never blow anybody away with his speed. However he is an elusive player, that turns really well. He can buy time for himself with that elusiveness to create plays, which he does very well since he sees the ice really well. It's not like he is slow as molasses either.

To be honest, hockey sense is much more important atribute than skating in my opinion, I actually agree with your point.
However he lacks foot speed and quickness which is much worse than lacking straight speed in my opinion.
I don´t say that he is bad player but Tatar was better player. Plus with better character.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

I would say that it's tied with size ;)

Hockey IQ trumps them both - always has and always will

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
So, how did he end the season/playoffs? Has his stock risen? We're not hearing too much about him...

Lenain22

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Nice. For us, the people from Slovakia, nothing new, but for others nice article. But you should also mention his issues with discipline. I mean in the games. There were some games, in which he made very bad penalties with very bad timing.

Saku Koivu always had bad penalty when he played for the Habs, but it was created by its intensity...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad