Rumor: Voynov cleared to return to NHL [Bill Daly says report is false]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton might be too much of a fishbowl, and would be too big a distraction.
As an Oiler fan though, I think the winning would out weigh the negative impact his off ice issues would bring.

The Oilers have had a number of players resurrect their careers here. The fishbowl thing isn't really a factor. Look at Kassian. Go all the way back to MacTavish. Edmonton loves a reclamation project. Fans get on board very quickly here.

Reactions: booyakasha

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder if the Medvedev tweet was pressured by Voynov's camp trying to get the wheels in motion.

I personally don't think Voynov saw any punishment for his actions considering he his pay and play in Russia but I can't see the NHL preventing him from returning. When all's said and done, I think he ends up a Flyer.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The Oilers have had a number of players resurrect their careers here. The fishbowl thing isn't really a factor. Look at Kassian. Go all the way back to MacTavish. Edmonton loves a reclamation project. Fans get on board very quickly here.
Yeah if we can forgive kassian who slashed our number one / twos center in half I bet edmonton fans would accept voynof if he played well / his wife seemed happy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I didn't say anything about wanting him in the NHL but I know that if he can play, and he can he will get signed if the NHL allows it.
Maybe sports have no morals (maybe not) but owners and franchises do have self-interest.

Weighing the benefits of signing him with the downside, I think we've seen a lot of businesses over the last year decide that the wise move is to stay away. All it takes is one owner willing, but I think he's a "do not want' for the vast majority of teams.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
seems Voynovs wife forgave him also.
so all's good.

In the US crimes are said to be committed against "the People" meaning the citizenry of that state, not against any 1 person. So while her forgiving him may hold some sway for some, legally it's meaningless. And it also has no bearing on anyone's personal opinion of the event.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
In the US crimes are said to be committed against "the People" meaning the citizenry of that state, not against any 1 person. So while her forgiving him may hold some sway for some, legally it's meaningless. And it also has no bearing on anyone's personal opinion of the event.
Didn’t he “legally “ serve his sentence and then legally leave once his work visa was terminated ? If the states let him back in I guess an nhl team should too. Atm it’s just a moral / pr issue

And morally you may not forgive him but if you were thinking about the wife Canada or the states probably has better councilng/ laws to get her safe.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Pretty disgusting if the NHL lets this guy back in and even worse if some team signs him.

At least I am pretty confident that the Flames will have no interest in him (and he likely has no interest in coming here). I would like to believe that it is because of more than the defense being pretty settled and that they don't want this kind of scum on their team but i think we have seen enough from all sports teams to know that wins trump anything and even if this loser only can bring a win or two to the team they will ignore everything he did in his past.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Anyone who picks this douche up is considered a degenerate organization in my books!

...even the Leafs

Reactions: Chan790

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given what he did no team should even contemplate signing him. Shame on them if they are. No talent level excuses abuse.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
seems Voynovs wife forgave him also.
so all's good.
Yeah because voynov still showing her a rich and famous lifestyle which she probably doesn't think she can get anywhere else outside the relationship. Their agreement has nothing to do with how much of a shit stain this guy is.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah because voynov still showing her a rich and famous lifestyle which she probably doesn't think she can get anywhere else outside the relationship. They agreement has nothing to do with how much of a **** stain this guy is.
She is with him either way . Offer a weird contract where she gets 90 percent if she divorces him .

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
She is with him either way . Offer a weird contract where she gets 90 percent if she divorces him .

Whether she is with him still or forgave him should have zero impact on whether he should be back in the team or not.

There have been enough studies about the psychology of abuse victims to know that is not a good determination of what should or shouldn't happen.

And for those saying he deserves a second chance, sure at life he should be able to go on leading his life but the NHL should have hire standards and there is absolutely nothing that he has done, said or changed that indicates he deserves anything close to a second chance in the NHL.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Didn’t he “legally “ serve his sentence and then legally leave once his work visa was terminated ? If the states let him back in I guess an nhl team should too. Atm it’s just a moral / pr issue

And morally you may not forgive him but if you were thinking about the wife Canada or the states probably has better councilng/ laws to get her safe.
He has a legal right to work. Nobody is saying differently. My point was that Nolo contendre, as far as the legal system goes, is really no different than pleading guilty (it does serve as potential protection in a future civil case, which is why he may have opted for it).

Whether an NHL team SHOULD let him back in is up to each individual owner. And yes it is a moral/pr issue. Many decisions in business are. Teams have a right to hire him or not hire him and as long as their reasons aren't against public policy in hiring (mainly discriminatory based on race, gender, etc).

As far as USA or Canada having better counseling than Russia, I have no idea whether that is true or not and really wouldn't factor into my decision whether to sign him or not if I was a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad