Rumor: Voynov cleared to return to NHL [Bill Daly says report is false]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They put in the cap circumvention rule and took away the devils pick even tho they signed him to a similar one and sorta got their pick back after

Dude, that isn't change an SPC, and it's not going against the CBA.

What you are asking for goes against the whole point of having a COLLECTIVELY bargained agreement and a STANDARD player contract. It just doesn't work the way you think it does.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I've read that already, and he's served his time.
I don't understand the level of justice some want to impose on him.
There are posters that are justifying murder, but to assault some one is unforgivable.

Not one person is justifying murder. Vehicular homicide isn't murder. In fact, "homicide" isn't necessarily murder. But a murder is a homicide. It's like squares being rectangles but not all rectangles being squares.

Reactions: 99664987

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’d take him easy if I were a contending team. It was an off ice issue years ago (although definitely a terrible one.) he seemed well liked by his teammates and he’s still a good top 4 D, right handed one too.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I wonder how many posters on this board committed crimes . MacT killed 2 people because of drinking and drive and while you may say that was a stupid decision I bet their love ones would of rather them to be beat up and still be a live . We all done damn dumb **** . I know i did . Even some of the pranks I did as a kid / young adult could of cost someone their life . I am older now and think of those dumb things every single day . I glad no one was hurt . Point is we all done wrong to someone else in over life .
No. f*** that.

A statement included within that report states that, while attending a team Halloween party, the two began arguing, during which Voynov removed [Varlamova’s] costume glasses and stomped on them in front of the guests. When they continued arguing outside the venue, Voynov “punched her in the left jaw with a closed fist.”
Court documents detail how the fight continued when the two arrived home and the contents are equally grim. In one motion, filed on behalf of the District Attorney’s office, it states that Voynov “wrapped both of his hands around Ms. Varlamova’s neck and began to squeeze, making it difficult for her to breathe.” Voynov, according to the motion, “continued to choke her while repeatedly pushing her to the floor of the bedroom,” telling her to “get out,” that there would be “no more money for her,” and that she would be “gone.”
These clubs should also know that Varlamova’s seven-year-old daughter was reportedly at home at the time of the incident, and apparently, it did not end there.
According to the motion, Voynov then “kicked her five or six times all over her body” and when she attempted to stand he “pushed her down directly into the bottom corner of the flat screen television that was mounted to the bedroom wall.” Varlamova sustained “a head laceration that resulted in severe bleeding” and throughout all of this “she repeatedly screamed for him to stop.”
If the clubs were not previously aware, they should know that the screaming was apparently so loud that a neighbor called emergency dispatchers, fearful of what was taking place.
According to the 911 transcripts obtained by The Athletic, the concerned neighbor said she heard 20 minutes worth of screaming and said there were “terrible noises.”
“It sounds like a woman is not being treated well,” the neighbor told the dispatcher.
In the middle of describing the location of the house to the dispatcher, the neighbor stops to say: “Oh my God. She’s really screaming.”
Any club considering trading for or signing Voynov should also consider that Varlamova, once she arrived at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center hospital for treatment, required eight sutures to close the 3 cm laceration on her left eyebrow. She then reportedly told those attending to her injuries that this was not an isolated incident.
Just no. Don't try to minimize it by pulling the "everyone makes mistakes" card.

Voynov had the privilege to play in the NHL. In my opinion, he no longer does after what he did

Reactions: Chan790

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I wonder how many posters on this board committed crimes . MacT killed 2 people because of drinking and drive and while you may say that was a stupid decision I bet their love ones would of rather them to be beat up and still be a live . We all done damn dumb **** . I know i did . Even some of the pranks I did as a kid / young adult could of cost someone their life . I am older now and think of those dumb things every single day . I glad no one was hurt . Point is we all done wrong to someone else in over life .

Are you seriously comparing beating your wife to pranks you pulled as a kid?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
LOL at people discussing morality. The only thing the NHL cares about are the potential repercussions of bringing Voynov back, they care little about domestic abuse. Hell, the NHL let players who killed people back in.

If Voynov is deemed an asset, he'll be welcomed back under the guise of 'everybody deserves a second chance'; if not, he'll be prohibited from playing because 'the NHL takes domestic abuse seriously'.

It's all about the benjamins.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Heatley killed a guy O’Reilly tried to murder Tim Hortons . Nashville guy shoved his wife . Varlamov Kane and Roy all accused but never charged for wife beating daddy hull also ( I assume it’s not slander if I put accused if so take it as charged for but not proven guilty or spoken about by his child )

Heatly's incident was an accident, Voynov knowingly and willingly beat his wife.

Nobody got hurt in O'Reillys incident but I am all for him getting more punishment than he did. Not sure who Nashville guy is so can't comment.

Varlamov, Kane and Roy I have no issue with them getting harsher punishments at all.

Hull was over 50 years ago now not really sure that is comparably but yes he is a POS.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I've read that already, and he's served his time.
I don't understand the level of justice some want to impose on him.
There are posters that are justifying murder, but to assault some one is unforgivable.
I think people are saying that a stupid/selfish decision with a tragic outcome isn’t worse than an intentionally malevolent, repeated vicious event that was lucky to not have a significantly worse outcome.

He did limited, easy jail time and then went off to be one of the top paid players in a league located in a country where there was absolutely zero therapy, monitoring, or other oversight to make sure he actually “did his time”. Which was the DA’s argument - there’s zero evidence that he’s not actually still a complete POS. This wasn’t a “drunken mistake”. This is who he was in that relationship. Look into domestic violence at all and the fact that the wife changed her story is actually meaningless rather than exculpatory.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You would have to think it's only a matter of time before he gets reinstated.

Anyone who has been following the KHL able to give us a scouting report? Is he still a #2/3 defenseman in the NHL?

I want the Canucks to sign him so badly, he would be perfect for our defense and attracting Tryamkin back to the NHL. Canucks could outbid almost any other team with the amount of capspace too.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
He won't play a game. No team will let a marginally good player bring such a distraction. Got to imagine that players in the locker room won't like him...add in the backlash from the media...he's never playing again.

I think he is a much better player than you seem to think he is. He will surely play again and this fan hopes it’s in LA.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Anyone who has been following the KHL able to give us a scouting report? Is he still a #2/3 defenseman in the NHL?

I want the Canucks to sign him so badly, he would be perfect for our defense and attracting Tryamkin back to the NHL. Canucks could outbid almost any other team with the amount of capspace too.

I think the NHL would have a hard time re-instating him. This isn't the MLB or NFL. Media and fans will burn them and the team to the ground if he steps foot on NHL ice.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
He should bare the mark of Cain, and be banished and exiled out of Eden.

I have always thought that wife beaters and child abusers should have some sort of mark carved into their forehead like Aldo Raine did to the nazis in Inglourious Basterds. They can serve their time, pay their debt, have records expunged, beg for forgiveness... but the world will always know who they really are.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Heatly's incident was an accident, Voynov knowingly and willingly beat his wife.

Nobody got hurt in O'Reillys incident but I am all for him getting more punishment than he did. Not sure who Nashville guy is so can't comment.

Varlamov, Kane and Roy I have no issue with them getting harsher punishments at all.

Hull was over 50 years ago now not really sure that is comparably but yes he is a POS.

Bobby Hull, the king of the wife beaters, is comparable because the NHL and Hawks still use him as a goodwill ambassador for the league.

If the NHL was serious about domestic abuse, they'd tell Bobby to take a hike. But they don't because he's good for business.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Edmonton has a long history of reclamation projects. Might be a good place for him to turn his career around.

I would hope Blake just moved him to a team in the east if he decides not to keep him in LA. There is no chance I would help out a division team like that unless they were paying a hefty price.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I think he is a much better player than you seem to think he is. He will surely play again and this fan hopes it’s in LA.

Blake didn't seem like he wanted Voynov back with LA, i hope that's a lie

having Kovy & Voynov with the Kings would be awesome!

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Many people believe Jake Muzzin is a #1/2 D. Slava Voynov was far superior to Muzzin when he was with the Kings.

He's a top pairing defensemen.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I think the NHL would have a hard time re-instating him. This isn't the MLB or NFL. Media and fans will burn them and the team to the ground if he steps foot on NHL ice.

He was only temporarily suspended from the league, that's what suspended means. If he was banned from the league then maybe I would agree with you. I also don't agree that the media and fans will react that negatively, if Voynov has truly changed and comes out and speaks on how he has changed and becomes an advocate for ending domestic violence it would be an easy sell from a PR perspective.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bobby Hull, the king of the wife beaters, is comparable because the NHL and Hawks still use him as a goodwill ambassador for the league.

If the NHL was serious about domestic abuse, they'd tell Bobby to take a hike. But they don't because he's good for business.

So we are going with the two wrongs make a right argument?

The NHL shouldn’t use Hull and shouldn’t let Voynov back.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He was only temporarily suspended from the league, that's what suspended means. If he was banned from the league then maybe I would agree with you. I also don't agree that the media and fans will react that negatively, if Voynov has truly changed and comes out and speaks on how he has changed and becomes an advocate for ending domestic violence it would be an easy sell from a PR perspective.

If he had wanted to do that, he could have stayed and done that in NA while serving his probation. I'm sure if some team hires him he will do some of what your saying, but a truly changed man would have done it on his own, not as a condition of employment or "selling from a PR perspective".

Also, what evidence do you have that he's truly changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad