Rumor: Voynov cleared to return to NHL [Bill Daly says report is false]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Whether she is with him still or forgave him should have zero impact on whether he should be back in the team or not.

There have been enough studies about the psychology of abuse victims to know that is not a good determination of what should or shouldn't happen.

And for those saying he deserves a second chance, sure at life he should be able to go on leading his life but the NHL should have hire standards and there is absolutely nothing that he has done, said or changed that indicates he deserves anything close to a second chance in the NHL.
Well if people are saying she is with him to live the wealthy life style or if she has Stockholm syndrome I still don’t see the benefit of leaving her in Russia where it’s not illegal to hit your wife. Make the contract include phyciatrty and a clause she gets most of it if she decides to leave him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
She is with him either way . Offer a weird contract where she gets 90 percent if she divorces him .
I imagine this is half in gest, but this wouldn't be allowed by the CBA. I suppose he and his wife could enter into some sort of side post-nuptual agreement.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers fans forgave a man the actually killed somebody, and destroyed lives.
Yes, but contextually I think it's a lot different:
Trying To Rebuild A Life

MacTavish killed Kim Radley during the 83-84 Season.

Drinking and Driving was still considered socially acceptable as late as 1978.
MADD was formed in 1980. It took several years for public perception to change on DUI's.

MacTavish's kind of came at the tail end of public acceptance for DUI. Pelle Lindburgh's DUI death kind of shook the hockey world more dramatically.

This kind of illustrates a better picture:
Drinking, driving in hockey: some traditions die hard

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Didn’t he “legally “ serve his sentence and then legally leave once his work visa was terminated ? If the states let him back in I guess an nhl team should too. Atm it’s just a moral / pr issue

And morally you may not forgive him but if you were thinking about the wife Canada or the states probably has better councilng/ laws to get her safe.
I don’t care if he did his time or not. Judging by your theory we should just forgive Karla Homolka. I don’t care what someone does. If they are paying him to do a job and I pay for tickets I essentially am supporting that. Now some markets where it is already tough to sell tickets and teams are struggling this may be an issue.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I imagine this is half in gest, but this wouldn't be allowed by the CBA. I suppose he and his wife could enter into some sort of side post-nuptual agreement.
I could see them changing it for this situation . Doubt anyone would oppose . I assume he would have to at a bare minimum make minimum wage but otherwise they have changed it before with kovalchuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well if people are saying she is with him to live the wealthy life style or if she has Stockholm syndrome I still don’t see the benefit of leaving her in Russia where it’s not illegal to hit your wife. Make the contract include phyciatrty and a clause she gets most of it if she decides to leave him.

It isn't the NHL teams responsibility to make sure his wife is safe.

Teams can't sign a guy so that he doesn't have as easy a time to beat her.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It isn't the NHL teams responsibility to make sure his wife is safe.

Teams can't sign a guy so that he doesn't have as easy a time to beat her.
They would sign him cuz he is a good player . Improving her life is the bonus

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I could see them changing it for this situation . Doubt anyone would oppose .

The PR on signing a guy you think so much of that you have to negotiate a "beat your wife" penalty clause into his deal would be a nightmare.

I can just imagine the GM talking to media saying "Sure he smashed all her ribs, she will need reconstructive surgery to help fix her face and off course there is the psychologial trauma she endured but don't forget while he is out there on the ice tonight that we made sure Slava would have to give her an extra million so it really is all good"

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They would sign him cuz he is a good player . Improving her life is the bonus

There are enough good guys out there that don't beat their wives.

The team either believes it was a one time (ya right) thing, are willing to ignore it or don't sign him. If they think he will do it again, and think it is so likely that they have to take it into account in the contract they don't sign him simple as that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton might be too much of a fishbowl, and would be too big a distraction.
As an Oiler fan though, I think the winning would out weigh the negative impact his off ice issues would bring.

No one likes what he done . Does that mean he should be ban for life ? I think he was already punish and should be allowed to return with some pretty tough conditions . Make him stay in programs that will give him counselling with his wife having to attend every other one . Even if she lies to protect him they could see if she is bruised up or walking/moving in pain .

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No one likes what he done . Does that mean he should be ban for life ? I think he was already punish and should be allowed to return with some pretty tough conditions . Make him stay in programs that will give him counselling with his wife having to attend every other one . Even if she lies to protect him they could see if she is bruised up or walking/moving in pain .

Yes

Reactions: Chan790

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Agreed.

I hope the Habs take a run at him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There are enough good guys out there that don't beat their wives.

The team either believes it was a one time (ya right) thing, are willing to ignore it or don't sign him. If they think he will do it again, and think it is so likely that they have to take it into account in the contract they don't sign him simple as that.
There has been enough times it’s happened or allegedly happened that the nhl should just put it in anyways ,he is gonna make money in Russia anyways so I guess whatever but I don’t see the argument of keeping him there cuz he is scum while assumidly also punishing her

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I can understand people thinking this way and I don't blame you.

Voynov certainly is a POS for what he did. But I also believe in forgiveness and redemption IF he is actually a changed man, which is a big if. Then again, reading the details of this article on why he should not be reinstated includes some sickening details, so I may have to rethink this.

Why would the NHL consider reinstating Slava Voynov? That's a good question
For everyone too lazy to click on the link, you need to read this before commenting about the topic, at all.

A statement included within that report states that, while attending a team Halloween party, the two began arguing, during which Voynov removed [Varlamova’s] costume glasses and stomped on them in front of the guests. When they continued arguing outside the venue, Voynov “punched her in the left jaw with a closed fist.”
Court documents detail how the fight continued when the two arrived home and the contents are equally grim. In one motion, filed on behalf of the District Attorney’s office, it states that Voynov “wrapped both of his hands around Ms. Varlamova’s neck and began to squeeze, making it difficult for her to breathe.” Voynov, according to the motion, “continued to choke her while repeatedly pushing her to the floor of the bedroom,” telling her to “get out,” that there would be “no more money for her,” and that she would be “gone.”
These clubs should also know that Varlamova’s seven-year-old daughter was reportedly at home at the time of the incident, and apparently, it did not end there.
According to the motion, Voynov then “kicked her five or six times all over her body” and when she attempted to stand he “pushed her down directly into the bottom corner of the flat screen television that was mounted to the bedroom wall.” Varlamova sustained “a head laceration that resulted in severe bleeding” and throughout all of this “she repeatedly screamed for him to stop.”
If the clubs were not previously aware, they should know that the screaming was apparently so loud that a neighbor called emergency dispatchers, fearful of what was taking place.
According to the 911 transcripts obtained by The Athletic, the concerned neighbor said she heard 20 minutes worth of screaming and said there were “terrible noises.”
“It sounds like a woman is not being treated well,” the neighbor told the dispatcher.
In the middle of describing the location of the house to the dispatcher, the neighbor stops to say: “Oh my God. She’s really screaming.”
Any club considering trading for or signing Voynov should also consider that Varlamova, once she arrived at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center hospital for treatment, required eight sutures to close the 3 cm laceration on her left eyebrow. She then reportedly told those attending to her injuries that this was not an isolated incident.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Keep that **** stain away from the NHL.
I wonder how many posters on this board committed crimes . MacT killed 2 people because of drinking and drive and while you may say that was a stupid decision I bet their love ones would of rather them to be beat up and still be a live . We all done damn dumb shit . I know i did . Even some of the pranks I did as a kid / young adult could of cost someone their life . I am older now and think of those dumb things every single day . I glad no one was hurt . Point is we all done wrong to someone else in over life .

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I wonder how many posters on this board committed crimes . MacT killed 2 people because of drinking and drive and while you may say that was a stupid decision I bet their love ones would of rather them to be beat up and still be a live . We all done damn dumb **** . I know i did . Even some of the pranks I did as a kid / young adult could of cost someone their life . I am older now and think of those dumb things every single day . I glad no one was hurt . Point is we all done wrong to someone else in over life .
Heatley killed a guy O’Reilly tried to murder Tim Hortons . Nashville guy shoved his wife . Varlamov Kane and Roy all accused but never charged for wife beating daddy hull also ( I assume it’s not slander if I put accused if so take it as charged for but not proven guilty or spoken about by his child )

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I wonder how many posters on this board committed crimes . MacT killed 2 people because of drinking and drive and while you may say that was a stupid decision I bet their love ones would of rather them to be beat up and still be a live . We all done damn dumb **** . I know i did . Even some of the pranks I did as a kid / young adult could of cost someone their life . I am older now and think of those dumb things every single day . I glad no one was hurt . Point is we all done wrong to someone else in over life .
It’s one thing, and agreeably stupid, to do dumb things as a kid which we all do.
It’s completely another to beat your wife, as a grown ass adult.
Stop trying to defend and justify his actions.
He’s scum and should be banned for life.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I could see them changing it for this situation . Doubt anyone would oppose . I assume he would have to at a bare minimum make minimum wage but otherwise they have changed it before with kovalchuk

That's not how CBAs and SPCs work, and yes the NHLPA would oppose it.

How was Kovy's SPC changed?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That's not how CBAs and SPCs work, and yes the NHLPA would oppose it.

How was Kovy's SPC changed?
They put in the cap circumvention rule and took away the devils pick even tho they signed him to a similar one and sorta got their pick back after

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If the leagues want to stop this type of crap, it’s very simple.
Lifetime ban for any conviction or no contest admittion of domestic abuse, child abuse, sexual abuse, or murder.
No excuses. No special circumstances. No exceptions.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes, but contextually I think it's a lot different:
Trying To Rebuild A Life

MacTavish killed Kim Radley during the 83-84 Season.

Drinking and Driving was still considered socially acceptable as late as 1978.
MADD was formed in 1980. It took several years for public perception to change on DUI's.

MacTavish's kind of came at the tail end of public acceptance for DUI. Pelle Lindburgh's DUI death kind of shook the hockey world more dramatically.

This kind of illustrates a better picture:
Drinking, driving in hockey: some traditions die hard

Dany Heatley killed his friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad