Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I voted to give him until the end of the season. I'd be okay with firing him now too but it would depend who they bring in to replace him. I don't think Bylsma is the right coach for this team, so if that's who they'd replace Blashill with, I don't want Blashill fired now. Because I doubt they're bringing in Bylsma just for the rest of this season then booting him right away in the offseason.

I'm also not shocked they are worse this season than last. I think losing players like Nyquist and Kronwall hurts more than people want to admit. Kronwall, for all the knocks against him in recent years, was the highest scoring defenseman on the team last year (I know he was not highest PPG but that's still some lost offense). Yes, that's probably an indictment of the defense but still. I think it was going to take a real breakthrough from one of the young guys like Zadina or Hirose or Svechnikov plus improvements from the veterans to be better this year. I think Larkin, Mantha, and Bertuzzi are doing their part.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I honestly don't know the right move here, Blashill hasn't had the talent to really had a chance to compete, but like others have said these players have had issues competing night in and night out, but again that could be a talent issue.

I don't know if firing Blashill for Bylsma or another head coach does anything tangible this season. I'm still excited to finish dead last and have a chance at a superstar.

Disco Dan is not known for developing young players. He is known for overplaying 4th line scrubs above their station.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
How is that different from Blash?

Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin, and Hronek seem to be doing fine. AA has had issues being "coached" since juniors so with him can't say I'm surprised he hasn't advanced. Cholo appears to have a short leash and is still at wait and see mode. But 4/6 young guys on the roster have improved and 1 of the other two is still sub 80 games played so he has time to grow.

I'd say 4/6 is pretty good with 1 incomplete atm.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Initially I voted to give Blash til the end of the season, as our roster sucks + injuries, but a 1-10-1 stretch being outscored/outchanced a gazillion to 1 is unacceptable. We're literally bottom 5 or worse in almost every category, except shots for. Team needs a new voice & message. Their mojo is dark. One day we will rise & these will be galvanizing moments for the core that is still here (71, 39, 59, 17 etc.)

Reactions: RedMenace

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I literally do not know how any fan can defend keeping Trashill at this point. This is the worse stretcb I have ever seen Detroit play. They give up 5 goals a game and look completly outclassed every game. Including against such powerhouses as Ottawa and NYR.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
upload_2019-11-10_0-9-32.png

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Looks like Fabbri and Bernie saved his butt for now...

At this point I think it's pretty clear that he is here for the season. We just went through a stretch where we won 1 of 12 games, and he's still here.

I think he's here for the season, and then at that point he will be fired.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think the 2 wins bought him an indefinite amount of time, maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months. It all depends on how our young guns progress & how badly we lose & how well we score. If we're sporting a 2.2GF & 3.8 (1.6G differential, close to or worst in the league), then he's gone sooner. If we can get to ~1G differential, he's "safe" for now, maybe even til seasons end.

Also depends if our special teams improve. Either way he's a lame duck coach.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At this point I think it's pretty clear that he is here for the season. We just went through a stretch where we won 1 of 12 games, and he's still here.

I think he's here for the season, and then at that point he will be fired.
If Bernie keeps playing like the last 2 games and Fabbri provides secondary scoring, this team may wind up winning enough games to save Blash's job. His contract runs one more year after this one. (Scary thought, right?)

Quite frankly, he's addressed my major issues:
- Keep the BLM line together (though I don't mind if Fabbri gets some time)
- Fix the PP, no perimeter shots - Fabbri scored twice from the slot
- Roster selection - No more Hicketts, Biega, Hirose
- PLayer usage - No more Helm, LGD, and Abby on the top lines

There are still tings to fix (with Stevie's help)
- Send Howard down if he has another bad game
- Give Svech a fair chance
- Fix PP2

I also won't be surprised if the fix the 2C and 3C situation by trying Fabbri out as a center.

SO many posters here complain about Blash, but aren't very specific about the issues. I laid out my issues a while back, and he fixed some of them, so I'm not as critical right now. I don't see him getting fired if the progress continues.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Blash further implicated himself saying (paraphrasing) "the teams in the league are so close in talent between the top & bottom teams, if you play your best you can beat anybody"....so he's not getting the best out of our team? (is how that reads, given our rankings).

He's right to some degree, but there is a huge disparity in talent b/w the top ~7-10 & bottom ~5-10.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Blash further implicated himself saying (paraphrasing) "the teams in the league are so close in talent between the top & bottom teams, if you play your best you can beat anybody"....so he's not getting the best out of our team? (is how that reads, given our rankings).

He's right to some degree, but there is a huge disparity in talent b/w the top ~7-10 & bottom ~5-10.
That's just political talk, there's a huge talent gap between the Wings and any playoff contender. But there's not a coach in the world who's gonna say "My players suck."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Bernie keeps playing like the last 2 games and Fabbri provides secondary scoring, this team may wind up winning enough games to save Blash's job. His contract runs one more year after this one. (Scary thought, right?)

- Fix PP2

I also won't be surprised if the fix the 2C and 3C situation by trying Fabbri out as a center.

SO many posters here complain about Blash, but aren't very specific about the issues. I laid out my issues a while back, and he fixed some of them, so I'm not as critical right now. I don't see him getting fired if the progress continues.

Good list. Only thing I disagree is this Bernier vs. Howard. Both are equally bad, even though Bernier has lately had better results.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

- Fix PP2

I think the Fabbri pickup alone might end up saving Blash's job at least in the short term. Adding Fabbri gives us 5/6 actual top 6 forwards.

Bert -Larkin-Mantha
AA-Flip-Fabbri

looks a f*** ton better than

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Flip-Hirose

Not saying Fabbri was the only solution and that we have a legitimate playoff contending top six now, but adding Fabbri and making sure that we have 4 actual top 6 wingers now ensures that Abby, Helm, Erne, etc stay out of the top six and give us two lines that can legitimately produce offensively.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I absolutely think Blash is to blame for quite a bit of what is going on. The way I see it he has not proven he can be an effective NHL coach.

On the other hand I don't think he should be fired now. The way to save this season is to end up with a top 2 draft pick, I believe Blash gives us the best chance to make that happen.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
His in game adjustments and tactics have improved this year as well.

In the past, he would stay the course when the game was begging for a shake up. We won the VGK game because Blashill made gutsy line adjustments at the right time.

I find Blashill to be pretentious, entitled and annoying. But I could come up with worse to say about your average hockey coach/candidate.

I think we need to build our next coach from within (Jiri Fischer), and I'm fine with Blashill hanging out until then or near then.

He has flaws, but I do think he has been improving and perservereing admirably.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the Fabbri pickup alone might end up saving Blash's job at least in the short term. Adding Fabbri gives us 5/6 actual top 6 forwards.

And this is perfect proof, how our problem is not coaching. It's the poor player material.

With better player material, we win. What a coincidence.

Poor player material is the reason, why we are in a rebuild, if somebody didn't know it yet.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Yeah, I don't know if that's as much a "defense" as a "deflection."

Besides, it's not like they're going to come out and say, "Yeah, **** that guy... he's a complete ****ing idiot."

We can really use an Uber driver right about now lol

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The way I see it he has not proven he can be an effective NHL coach

Well this is good considering he's had a bottom half roster since Datsyuk retired, and with each passing year his roster has gotten more and more closer to that of an AHL roster. I think Blashill will ultimately be gone at the end of the year, and for his sake, I hope his next job comes with a team that can actually give him a talented roster. He might be the downfall of that team, he might be the saving grace of that team, I don't think we have enough information to make a confident statement one way or another right now.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
The Wings have one of the worst rosters in the NHL. They are roughly right where they should be in the standings... How does this make Blashill a bad coach? If there is a coach out there that can squeeze a few extra wins out of this roster, why would we want that? Finishing 4-8th worst is no mans land. Lets land in the bottom 3 this year, get those real high lottery odds of getting a superstar.

You guys just want to keep doing this dance for the next decade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad