Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I voted give him until the end of the season. That way we can explore a wider range of available coaches in the offseason instead of promoting Bylsma in the interim who may be even worse.
I hope Babcock will be available at that time

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don’t see the benefit of firing him right this second, but I don’t think he’s a good NHL coach. I would like to see Detroit explore other options this off-season.

I think he mismanages the mediocre roster he has now. In any competitive job field, you have to show that you have something that the competition doesn’t. Some sort of value even in tough times. There’s nothing that Blashill possesses as a coach that shows we would “lose” something if we got rid of him today.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't see a point in firing him right now, and I don't really blame him for this team being lousy. I don't like some of the roster decisions, but if management wasn't on board, we'd see him fired for it. I'm also not interested in seeing the Dan Bylsma Era or screwing with GR at this point by hauling up their coach.

After this season, it depends who is available, but unless there is a serious infusion of talent, I'm not expecting a radically different result from any coach. At this point, I'd kinda like to see Blashill with a decent team to work with, as much from curiosity as anything.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Blashill gets credit for that?

So then is it his fault for all the prospects that washed out during his tenure?

It depends how you're defining all of the different prospects. Jurco, Sheahan, and Pulkkinen weren't under Blashill's headcoaching umbrella until Blashill's first year in Detroit. at that point, they'd spent a couple of full years in Detroit under Babcock, despite not playing much. I'd have to go back and look at Marchenko/Sproul/XO.

Since it's not an argument I desperately care about, I tend to put the cut off as guys who saw their first significant chunk of games under his coaching in Detroit.

Reactions: 14ari13

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Blashill gets credit for that?

So then is it his fault for all the prospects that washed out during his tenure?
do you notice the gunsmoke line shooting up the rink , having become a top 20 nhl line . and then that line with hronek on the pp becoming a dominant unit . that doesnt happen by luck . and that doesnt happen with a lost coach . i know the spoiled wing fan brats are needing to throw tantrums and cry about ever imperfect occurence in every redwing game (maybe start drinking your beer in baby bottles) and blame somebody for a bad team , but in reality every knowledgable hockey person on earth said pre season wings roster adds up to the very bottom of nhl standings and there isnt one thing any coach on earth can do with that defense and those bottom 8 forwards . and blash has nothing to do with that . and im not saying hes a great coach , thats not known yet because has never had a roster . im saying fans have no business blaming him for a bad record when he doesnt have the talent .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
do you notice the gunsmoke line shooting up the rink , having become a top 20 nhl line . and then that line with hronek on the pp becoming a dominant unit . that doesnt happen by luck . and that doesnt happen with a lost coach . i know the spoiled wing fan brats are needing to throw tantrums and cry about ever imperfect occurence in every redwing game (maybe start drinking your beer in baby bottles) and blame somebody for a bad team , but in reality every knowledgable hockey person on earth said pre season wings roster adds up to the very bottom of nhl standings and there isnt one thing any coach on earth can do with that defense and those bottom 8 forwards . and blash has nothing to do with that . and im not saying hes a great coach , thats not known yet because has never had a roster . im saying fans have no business blaming him for a bad record when he doesnt have the talent .

I actually do think Blashill makes that forward group look a lot worse than it is

Nielsen,Filppula,Abdelkader,Helm,Hirose,Erne,Perlini,Svechnikov,Glendening,De La Rose,Ehn honestly isn't anywhere near as bad a forward group for the 5-12 slots in a lineup on paper as Blashill makes them look in reality

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I actually do think Blashill makes that forward group look a lot worse than it is

Nielsen,Filppula,Abdelkader,Helm,Hirose,Erne,Perlini,Svechnikov,Glendening,De La Rose,Ehn honestly isn't anywhere near as bad a forward group for the 5-12 slots in a lineup on paper as Blashill makes them look in reality
o_O:help:

Reactions: 14ari13

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So in between your personal attacks, appeal to authority fallacy and rants about the roster, you didn't really address the question.

But based on this post from you I'm not terribly interested in the answer. In short, you're giving Blashill way too much credit for a few successful prospects.

And I agree he's got a craptacular roster to work with. Though his coaching decisions lately seem determined to make it even worse. Is it worthy of firing? No, not yet. But for the first time I'm thinking it may actually happen this season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It depends how you're defining all of the different prospects. Jurco, Sheahan, and Pulkkinen weren't under Blashill's headcoaching umbrella until Blashill's first year in Detroit. at that point, they'd spent a couple of full years in Detroit under Babcock, despite not playing much. I'd have to go back and look at Marchenko/Sproul/XO.

Since it's not an argument I desperately care about, I tend to put the cut off as guys who saw their first significant chunk of games under his coaching in Detroit.
Why put the cut off there though? Many of those players were coached by Blashill in the AHL, which to me seems an even more crucial time in their development as they try and make the jump to the NHL.

I'm not saying he didn't have some role in developing players but I think it's ridiculous to cherry pick the teams best young players and credit that to Blash.

Reactions: TheClap

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
So in between your personal attacks, appeal to authority fallacy and rants about the roster, you didn't really address the question.

But based on this post from you I'm not terribly interested in the answer. You're giving Blashill way too much credit for a few successful prospects.
thats cute , you make personal attacks on blashill every day but somebody countering your opinion is in the wrong .

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
thats cute , you make personal attacks on blashill every day but somebody countering your opinion is in the wrong .
Uhh, what?

Do you know what a personal attack is? I've never had any communication with Blashill or replied to anything he's posted unless he's secretly a user here and I did it unknowingly. Even if that was the case I wouldn't have personally attacked him. So it's not quite the same as your post.

Questioning his coaching decisions are not personal attacks. I think the only thing I've ever said about Blashill that even comes close to a personal attack was saying that while coaching on the bench his face often looks like he's holding in a fart.

Furthermore you didn't counter my opinion about Blashill's role in developing prospects. You went on a rant about whiny wings fans and how the roster sucks so it's not his fault.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Why put the cut off there though? Many of those players were coached by Blashill in the AHL, which to me seems an even more crucial time in their development as they try and make the jump to the NHL.

I'm not saying he didn't have some role in developing players but I think it's ridiculous to cherry pick the teams best young players and credit that to Blash.
It is not cherry picking.
That line is matching other top lines in the league.
Our goaltending and our defence is bottom 10.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Weird thing is, I'm not sure they did spend a lot of time with Blash, at least not the forwards. The Wings carried them in Detroit and just didn't play them a lot some years. It's been so long that I don't remember if it was because of waivers or whatever. Maybe it was injuries, too. I just don't recall at the moment.

I don't think it's cherry picking, it's just the easiest place to draw demarcation without having to dig into the trenches of how much it matters that Jurco played a half season's worth of games under Blashill at the end of Jurco's tenure here versus the time Jurco played with Babcock behind the bench.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I guess the million dollar question is who do you replace Blashill with lets say at the end of the year?
Someone new to the NHL. I'm tired of the old boys club only sticking with coaches who have coaches in the NHL before. I'd like a new voice. Rikard Gronborg, Sheldon Keefe, or Todd Nelson.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Where they played much better relative to their NHL careers. Pulkinen had 61 points in 46 games under Blashill in the AHL, now that's not to say Blash is a great coach or that he propelled them to be amazing players, but those players were solid to elite AHLers at young ages for the Griffins under Blashill.

Reactions: romanstar

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I'm torn, I voted yes because enough is enough.

Buuuut. This team is bad, hes been here with the worst rosters in the last 25 years.

I feel hes helped developed some young guys, like someone said aa, mantha, bert, larkin and hronek have all excelled under him.

On the other hand his musical chairs lineups and lack of use for other young players has stunted their growth.

Lastly, the biggest negative of all. What the actual hell is up with his love affair with helm and LGD. Like they're good BOTTOM 3 MAYBE BOTTOM 6 PLAYERS. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP THEM OUT OF THE TOP 6. They are not good offensive players, stop giving garbage too much ice time and stop giving them offensive zone faceoffs.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It is not cherry picking.
That line is mat matching other top lines in the league.
Our goaltending and our defence is bottom 10.

Weird thing is, I'm not sure they did spend a lot of time with Blash, at least not the forwards. The Wings carried them in Detroit and just didn't play them a lot some years. It's been so long that I don't remember if it was because of waivers or whatever. Maybe it was injuries, too. I just don't recall at the moment.

I don't think it's cherry picking, it's just the easiest place to draw demarcation without having to dig into the trenches of how much it matters that Jurco played a half season's worth of games under Blashill at the end of Jurco's tenure here versus the time Jurco played with Babcock behind the bench.

Maybe I should've used a phrase other than cherry picking because that's not the focus of my argument. I'm saying yes those three are playing great but I don't know that Blashill deserves the credit for somehow developing them into better players than they would've become under any other semi-competent coach.

Does Dave Lewis deserve the credit for Zetterberg becoming a stud?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad