Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It doesn't seem the team is competing anymore. It used to be this team would lose by a goal or 2 and keep it competitive. It's not like the team has gotten any worse since then and they are losing to 5-1 scores and not being competitive. I think it has to do with Blashill. I think more players have regressed under him than progressed. Heck, even the players that have progressed took longer than it should.

Reactions: FMichael and lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Gotcha. I'll go on assuming those names didn't get better then.

You post a -32 in the NHL when your team is devoid of talent and your goalies are posting sub .900 save percentages. It falls on both Blashill and the roster.

Absolutely.
Ilitch basically fired the man who constructed the roster.
Yzerman can fire the man he hired.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Change the subject all you want.

You can argue about whether or not he's made players better.
I'll disagree with you on you most, I suspect.

But regardless. You don't post a -32 goal differential over 12 games in the modern NHL unless you've got a serious problem.

It's called lack of f'ing talent. And we will improve upon that situation at the end of the year with a top 4 pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Since we have Larkin, Mantha, AA, bertuzzi, Hronek, Cholowski and other youngish types still on the squad, I think development and growth is a critical component of the rest of the season. And it's hard to do that losing by 3 goals a game.

It is important, and I feel like they are going to receive a proper challenge. Cholowski is the one I am most worried about, but I would anticipate that the first 5 names you listed will all be given substantial opportunity going up against the opponents best. It won't be obvious in their production, but it will still be an avenue of growth when it comes to learning how to produce against the best.

I don't think changing coaches prevents the staggering losses, but I realize it's probably going to happen at this rate. Whether or not it happens, the test is going to stay the same. The players have to check themselves and step up to the plate. This isn't going to be getting easier over time.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's called lack of f'ing talent. And we will improve upon that situation at the end of the year with a top 4 pick.

We may end up in that spot anyway.
The young players we have on the team now are too important to shit on for 82 games.
This team has to at least return to last year's level, the rest of the way...
There are 66 games left. If the Wings pick up points at last year's clip, the rest of the way, they will pick up 59 more points and finish with 68.
Which would have been second worst in the NHL last year.

I'm good with playing respectably poor the rest of the way and finishing second last.

And if it takes replacing Blashill or acquiring another player, so be it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No, that's exactly what people are saying. They are quite literally saying losing in this fashion is unacceptable. Which is true, but the GM let this roster regress mainly by attrition. Nyquist shipped off, Jensen shipped off, Vanek expired, Kronwall retired. They were players, who even if unspectacular, offered more to this team than Hirose, Erne, Filppula, Biega, Hicketts, Bowey. If the concern was the competitiveness of the team, the evolution of this roster could not have been to replace players with worse players. This team was already very bad, and the path we elected was to make it even worse. I'm not even talking about Blashill at this point, I'm talking about the fans inability to comprehend exactly what this team set out to do is THIS.

This performance has been bad, and it's been accentuated by the fact that the goaltending has degraded from averaging 3.11 GAA and 0.907 SV% to 3.74 GAA and 0.888 SV%. That the team lost Vanek and Nyquist who were 2 of the top 6 point producers on the team last year in 64 and 62 GP respectively. That the second highest goal scorer and point producer recorded his first goal 16 games into the season, and recorded his 4th, 5th and 6th point over the last 3 games (games 14-16). That their top minute eating defenseman from last year has missed half the season, that their leading point producing defenseman, and essentially captain, retired and was replaced by an AHL caliber player, and arguably their most effective defenseman from last year was traded away to be replaced by an AHL caliber player. If you can admit that everything stated above is factual, then you understand how this team is worse than last year but you don't like how it tastes, so the blame has to be put somewhere.

I will readily agree that dekeyser hurts being out but Jensen and Kronwall?

I think you're just taking random names who arent here now and saying see, that's the reason.

Look I 100% support the or a rebuild but I do not support a lack of structure or compete nor trending backwards.

Those are not skill dependent.

It seems like you think blashill is almost irrelevant and not responsible for anything as everyone and everything else is to blame but him.

Reactions: RedWingzz

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

I think you're just taking random names who arent here now and saying see, that's the reason.

Look I 100% support the or a rebuild but I do not support a lack of structure or compete nor trending backwards.

It seems like you think blashill is almost irrelevant and not responsible for anything as everyone and everything else is to blame but him.
Gonna have to politely disagree with you about Jensen and Kronwall; Kronwall on one knee is arguably better than any defenseman on the team and Jensen was playing fantastic hockey before he was moved. He is what the the defense is lacking in mobility and puck movement while being defensively sound.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Gonna have to politely disagree with you about Jensen and Kronwall; Kronwall on one knee is arguably better than any defenseman on the team and Jensen was playing fantastic hockey before he was moved. He is what the the defense is lacking in mobility and puck movement while being defensively sound.

Kronner better than Hronek?
Jensen was playing well but a difference maker I dont agree

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If you don't believe Kronwall had a stabilizing presence to the defense and the team in general, and don't believe that Jensen had a significant positive influence on the team compared to the replacement (Bowey/Biega) has had, we can just drop the conversation here.

It's not just naming names. I didn't bring up Ericsson. I didn't bring up Witkowski. I brought up names that are 100% better than who we have replaced them with.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
With the way the team is built, I doubt any coach could make us winners, but at the same time I believe that we've already seen the best of Blash and that it's only going to get worse. He's run out of things to try and the team doesn't seem to play for him anymore. With new coach we have a chance to actually start building a competitive system, to see what that new guy could do with our younger players, how he could motivate them to do better. Right now keeping Blashill sends only one message; DRW doesn't care about losing by 4-5 goals a night and no one is accountable.

That's the wrong message to send both to the prospects, current team as well as the league. What happened to the winning culture, because I sure as hell don't see even the slightest attempt to maintain it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you don't believe Kronwall had a stabilizing presence to the defense and the team in general, and don't believe that Jensen had a significant positive influence on the team compared to the replacement (Bowey/Biega) has had, we can just drop the conversation here.

It's not just naming names. I didn't bring up Ericsson. I didn't bring up Witkowski. I brought up names that are 100% better than who we have replaced them with.

Kronwall wasn't just stabilizing, he was also just flat out better than what we're running out there now. After watching Hicketts for a few games here, can anyone really argue that Kronwall wouldn't be a massive upgrade right there? I never really liked Jensen, but I like him a lot more than Bowey/Biega. Was Vanek perfect? No, but he was a helluva lot better than Ehn. Nyquist was better than Filppula has been. Aside from a handful of kids maturing, the Wings took a step back talent wise pretty much everywhere, either by bringing in worse players or by having guys we currently have just get older and slower and weaker.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Changing the coach when the roster has no talent is like changing the tires on a car that doesn't run. This season is a write off, the only good thing that can happen this season is winning a trade or top odds in the draft lottery. Anything else is just crying just to cry.

The season is only what 5 weeks old, I doubt Yzerman is going to fire the coach after 5 weeks. Yzerman made it clear from his hiring this would be an observation season.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Kronwall wasn't just stabilizing, he was also just flat out better than what we're running out there now. After watching Hicketts for a few games here, can anyone really argue that Kronwall wouldn't be a massive upgrade right there? I never really liked Jensen, but I like him a lot more than Bowey/Biega. Was Vanek perfect? No, but he was a helluva lot better than Ehn. Nyquist was better than Filppula has been. Aside from a handful of kids maturing, the Wings took a step back talent wise pretty much everywhere, either by bringing in worse players or by having guys we currently have just get older and slower and weaker.

Honestly, I would take Kronwall most of the bottom pair warm bodies he have.

I'd probably take Dekeyser and Nemeth over Kronwall from a stay at home perspective, I'd take Hronek and Cholowski from a expected value added prospective across the board. But I would love to have Kronwall as an anchor up or down the D pairings over the rest: Ericsson, Hicketts, Daley, Green, Bowey, Biega. Same goes for Jensen; the only person I would be hesitant on is Green, but with Cholowski and Hronek on the roster, I would rather have the simple and strong skating style of Jensen for this team than Green. The offense I lose from Green is limited by the fact I no longer need him on the powerplay.

Vanek, imo, is the Hirose position. He's going to be protected in his minutes and relied exclusively in offensive situations. Vanek has the veteran mind and know how to do things that Hirose just hasn't displayed at an NHL level yet. Nyquist was legitimately the best winger on the team last year. He is excellent in driving possession numbers, and gave us SO much more depth than I think we gave him credit for down the stretch.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I believe hronek is better than both and cholo is as effective on the ice as kronwall was at the end.
I believe the young players should be taking another step forward that more than compensates for the loss of a vanek.

But above all else I am saying despite the lack of overall talent the team is playing with no structure or compete and appears not to be buying whatever blashill is selling.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't see much point in talking about the coaching right now.

What things need to happen this season?
1: We're not competing for a Cup, so the fans need to suck it up and ride it out.
2: Moose, Svech, V, Z, Mo need to rek the AHL and get awesome.
3: BLM, AA, Hronek, Cholo need to steadily improve.

The only thing that Blashill has any influence on is number 3. Is he actively hurting those guys' development? They are prime age or getting close to it, they are getting prime opportunities against NHL top talent, they are learning how hard they have to compete and what they need to do better. So does Blash have some hand in that? Yes, but I don't think I (or any of you) understand that influence nearly as well as anyone in the organization.

So basically:
-If Yzerman thinks Blashill is hurting BLM's development, then Blashill should go.
-But I doubt that's the case, so he should probably stay at least until his role starts to matter more (i.e. probably next season).

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Honestly, I would take Kronwall most of the bottom pair warm bodies he have.

I'd probably take Dekeyser and Nemeth over Kronwall from a stay at home perspective, I'd take Hronek and Cholowski from a expected value added prospective across the board. But I would love to have Kronwall as an anchor up or down the D pairings over the rest: Ericsson, Hicketts, Daley, Green, Bowey, Biega. Same goes for Jensen; the only person I would be hesitant on is Green, but with Cholowski and Hronek on the roster, I would rather have the simple and strong skating style of Jensen for this team than Green. The offense I lose from Green is limited by the fact I no longer need him on the powerplay.

Vanek, imo, is the Hirose position. He's going to be protected in his minutes and relied exclusively in offensive situations. Vanek has the veteran mind and know how to do things that Hirose just hasn't displayed at an NHL level yet. Nyquist was legitimately the best winger on the team last year. He is excellent in driving possession numbers, and gave us SO much more depth than I think we gave him credit for down the stretch.

More Kronwall would have required a contract extension and that is a dangerous road considering the roster is full of vets we are trying to get rid of.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
More Kronwall would have required a contract extension and that is a dangerous road considering the roster is full of vets we are trying to get rid of.

I don’t think it was a secret on how Kronwall physically or mentally felt the last few years. If Kronwall were to have retired, and how contract legislation have evolved, Kronwall probably would have found himself signing year by year, not multi year contracts.

Don’t think there’s major concern there, but you’re right, multi year contract would have been potentially dangerous.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I honestly don't know the right move here, Blashill hasn't had the talent to really had a chance to compete, but like others have said these players have had issues competing night in and night out, but again that could be a talent issue.

I don't know if firing Blashill for Bylsma or another head coach does anything tangible this season. I'm still excited to finish dead last and have a chance at a superstar.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I honestly don't know the right move here, Blashill hasn't had the talent to really had a chance to compete, but like others have said these players have had issues competing night in and night out, but again that could be a talent issue.

I don't know if firing Blashill for Bylsma or another head coach does anything tangible this season. I'm still excited to finish dead last and have a chance at a superstar.

I think Blash gets another week, maybe two.... If the compete level doesn't escalate, and defense tighten up I could see him fired and Blysma getting the interim gig, and an audition to keep a job for next year. If he can't cut it either, it will be a fresh slate behind the bench for training camp 2020.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Blash gets another week, maybe two.... If the compete level doesn't escalate, and defense tighten up I could see him fired and Blysma getting the interim gig, and an audition to keep a job for next year. If he can't cut it either, it will be a fresh slate behind the bench for training camp 2020.

I'd honestly wonder if Bylsma would look at it and think it better for his career to not take it on. He dealt with a similar situation in Buffalo and the best he could get after that mess was an associate gig here.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'd honestly wonder if Bylsma would look at it and think it better for his career to not take it on. He dealt with a similar situation in Buffalo and the best he could get after that mess was an associate gig here.

I think most realize no Scotty Bowman.. Babcock or any coach is taking this team within sniffing distance of the playoffs. If he took over and at least made them respectable, thats a job well done. There are zero expectations from anyone for this team to be fighting for playoffs anytime soon.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think most realize no Scotty Bowman.. Babcock or any coach is taking this team within sniffing distance of the playoffs. If he took over and at least made them respectable, thats a job well done. There are zero expectations from anyone for this team to be fighting for playoffs anytime soon.

Thing is, as others have pointed out, Bylsma made Buffalo respectable. I made the post a bit in jest, but taking over the Wings position will likely be a thankless job. At the very least, if I was Bylsma, I'd demand a significant raise and/or a contract extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->