Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That is not at all what people are saying and you know it.

You can lose and heck you can expect to lose today to be better tomorrow, but you can not quit.

You have to lose while still developing. You have to continue to learn while losing.

And right now that is not happening enough.

Either his message or his teachings or both are simply not good enough.

No, that's exactly what people are saying. They are quite literally saying losing in this fashion is unacceptable. Which is true, but the GM let this roster regress mainly by attrition. Nyquist shipped off, Jensen shipped off, Vanek expired, Kronwall retired. They were players, who even if unspectacular, offered more to this team than Hirose, Erne, Filppula, Biega, Hicketts, Bowey. If the concern was the competitiveness of the team, the evolution of this roster could not have been to replace players with worse players. This team was already very bad, and the path we elected was to make it even worse. I'm not even talking about Blashill at this point, I'm talking about the fans inability to comprehend exactly what this team set out to do is THIS.

This performance has been bad, and it's been accentuated by the fact that the goaltending has degraded from averaging 3.11 GAA and 0.907 SV% to 3.74 GAA and 0.888 SV%. That the team lost Vanek and Nyquist who were 2 of the top 6 point producers on the team last year in 64 and 62 GP respectively. That the second highest goal scorer and point producer recorded his first goal 16 games into the season, and recorded his 4th, 5th and 6th point over the last 3 games (games 14-16). That their top minute eating defenseman from last year has missed half the season, that their leading point producing defenseman, and essentially captain, retired and was replaced by an AHL caliber player, and arguably their most effective defenseman from last year was traded away to be replaced by an AHL caliber player. If you can admit that everything stated above is factual, then you understand how this team is worse than last year but you don't like how it tastes, so the blame has to be put somewhere.

Reactions: odin1981

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Cool, now use rational thinking to demonstrate what you want out of this Red Wings team now and going forward.

I cannot stress this enough, I do not have the slightest hint of expectations for the team. What do I want? The same thing that everyone wants. I want to see the growth and development of players. I want to see the path for the team to return to relevance become more clear. But mind you, my wants aren't conducive with the reality of the situation. We have seen what this team is; they are unequivocally the worst roster in the league and the results will continue to reflect that.

That's where the rational thought process is lost, imo. I can acknowledge that my desire means absolutely nothing when it isn't practical given the scenario.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I cannot stress this enough, I do not have the slightest hint of expectations for the team. What do I want? The same thing that everyone wants. I want to see the growth and development of players. I want to see the path for the team to return to relevance become more clear. But mind you, my wants aren't conducive with the reality of the situation. We have seen what this team is; they are unequivocally the worst roster in the league and the results will continue to reflect that.

That's where the rational thought process is lost, imo. I can acknowledge that my desire means absolutely nothing when it isn't practical given the scenario.

We saw this team last year - after the deadline.
Nyquist traded.
Green shut down.
jensen traded.
Vanek shut down.
Abdelkader shut down.
Glendening shut down.

We saw a team with McIlrath, Witkowski and Jake Chelios on defense.
We saw that team go 9-8-1 after March 1.

I don't think anyone really expected that kind of play to continue. But I do think people reasonably expected to at least play similar to what their overall play was last year.

Growth from Larkin/AA/Mantha/Bert/
Perhaps growth from Hronek/Cholo/Rasmussen etc.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We saw this team last year - after the deadline.
Nyquist traded.
Green shut down.
jensen traded.
Vanek shut down.
Abdelkader shut down.
Glendening shut down.

We saw a team with McIlrath, Witkowski and Jake Chelios on defense.
We saw that team go 9-8-1 after March 1.

I don't think anyone really expected that kind of play to continue. But I do think people reasonably expected to at least play similar to what their overall play was last year.

Growth from Larkin/AA/Mantha/Bert/
Perhaps growth from Hronek/Cholo/Rasmussen etc.

After March 1st how much of the playoff seedings were set? The Wings looked a lot better last night when Nashville just played rope a dope in the third.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The message has already been sent that they WILL tolerate this. Yzerman openly stated this would take time and required patience. He did nothing with the names available via trade. He did nothing with the names available via free agency. He made the decision to keep the upcoming skilled players out of Detroit. The moves that he did make weren't even real attempts to add a little bit of short term structure, they were using scotch tape to hold together a cracked foundation. From the second the "Yzerplan" (as people call it) took over, the message to the fans has been to buckle up and prepare yourself for a rough ride. Not only was the message that they would tolerate "this" but the message was, "this" is what we were planning to do all along.

If Blashill is the figure head that needs to take the fall to get the fans to shut the hell up and live with the consequences of rebuilding, then honestly let's go for it. The fan base is restless because they refuse to accept the very thing they were begging for. As it has been said on this site before: Everyone wants to rebuild, but nobody wants to lose.

Yzerman stated he will be patient during the rebuild. He did not however say that he is ok with the team lacking compete, lacking determination, lacking emotion.

Again, I didn't expect anything this year, and if we somehow win the ridiculous lottery, it'll all be worth it, but the team still needs to show up and be competitive. Right now they are a complete joke.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
What kind of replacement coach do you think would be willing to come to this situation? My guess is only one that is looking for a paycheck for a couple years, or some nobody that is looking to get some experience. No quality coach would come to Detroit and i doubt ownership would be willing to over pay for a quality coach when you know that the next several years are going very grim.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Team has maybe five talented players, not sure why people are confused as to why this team is bad.

Blashill isn't an NHL coach but to pin it all on him is silly.

Reactions: odin1981

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
After March 1st how much of the playoff seedings were set? The Wings looked a lot better last night when Nashville just played rope a dope in the third.

Man, you're going to compare a month worth of NHL games to having a 6-1 lead in the third period?
That's not a fair comparison.
There were a lot of teams battling for spots. There were players battling for jobs and contracts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yzerman stated he will be patient during the rebuild. He did not however say that he is ok with the team lacking compete, lacking determination, lacking emotion.

Again, I didn't expect anything this year, and if we somehow win the ridiculous lottery, it'll all be worth it, but the team still needs to show up and be competitive. Right now they are a complete joke.

I don't think this team is lacking in effort/compete/etc. I think it's a lack of talent, a lack of confidence, and a lack of physical ability. The old guys who could do it at one time, just don't have it any more to bring it for 60 minutes every night. And most of the younger guys just aren't very good. The game tomorrow against the Rangers can be big for this team, it's a winnable game. The three after that, not so much.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Man, you're going to compare a month worth of NHL games to having a 6-1 lead in the third period?
That's not a fair comparison.
There were a lot of teams battling for spots. There were players battling for jobs and contracts.

So you think the rest of this season has been comparable to that month of hockey last season and you were only referring to last night's game? If so, I'm not sure why you've been bagging on Blashill for a couple of weeks here since you seem to be fine with that month of hockey last year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So you think the rest of this season has been comparable to that month of hockey last season and you were only referring to last night's game? If so, I'm not sure why you've been bagging on Blashill for a couple of weeks here since you seem to be fine with that month of hockey last year.

Well, for one, because Blashill actually let the kids play and they responded.
Blashill didn't have a f***ing choice but to give more minutes to AA and Mantha and Bertuzzi.
Here are AA's, Manthas and Bert's pre and post March 1 TOI
AA: 16:21 vs 18:59
Mantha: 17:27 vs 18:51
Bert: 15:53 vs 18:27

It was nice to see the other three prospects granted next level icetime. And to see them do so well with it.
It's what I wanted to see long ago.

It took Blashill losing all his f***ing options to do the wrong thing to finally do the right thing.

You don't get credit for that, in my book.

So this season starts, and not only do we not build on that. We collapse like a house of cards.

I've been ready to dump Blashill for years now. I was never sold on him. And he doubled down on Babcock's mistakes from day one, and helped create the problems this franchise has today.
He's done a piss poor job of developing young professionals
Way too many promising young Red Wings went backwards with under Blash.

That was always something Red Wings fans could argue about, I suppose.

But losing by 1.6 goals a game?
By 3 goals a game for 12 games now?
That's not defensible Winger.

The argument is over.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

This is just you using a lot of words to avoid making a statement about what direction you want the team to make (or think the team should make to reach whatever goal you find to be desirable).

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't think firing Blashill will do much but if the team keeps playing like it has been, they're going to have to make a change at some point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Blashill didn't have a ****ing choice but to give more minutes to AA and Mantha and Bertuzzi.

What's Larkin averaging this year? Mantha? Bert? The only guy whose IT doesn't match that stretch from last year is AA, and maybe his -18 has something to do with it. Hronek is over 22 minutes a night. Cholowski is getting 17:42 a game, deserved or not.

Blash is playing the kids. Maybe instead of focusing on one month at the end of the year and ignoring all of the reasons the Wings might have overachieved a bit, you should look at the 64 games between the start of last season and Feb 28th where the wings collected on roughly 42% of the available points. This season, they are roughly 5 points behind last years pace for those first 64 games.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I've always been one of those who preaches patience, but I voted for fire him now. Yes, the roster is terrible - a decent first line and then a bunch of 4th liners. I, and every other Wings fan expected us to be a lottery team this year.

What I did not expect, and what is not acceptable, is losing by 5 goals night after night after night after night. We are not the California Seals, and this is not the 1970s. The very least a modern, well coached NHL team should be able to do is compete and at least make a game of it on the way to losing by 1 or 2 goals.

The only thing that would stop me from pulling the trigger right now is who is realistically available to replace him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Blashill didn't have a ****ing choice but to give more minutes to AA and Mantha and Bertuzzi.

It was nice to see the other three prospects granted next level icetime. And to see them do so well with it.
It's what I wanted to see long ago.

It took Blashill losing all his ****ing options to do the wrong thing to finally do the right thing.

You don't get credit for that, in my book.

So this season starts, and not only do we not build on that. We collapse like a house of cards.

I've been ready to dump Blashill for years now. I was never sold on him. And he doubled down on Babcock's mistakes from day one, and helped create the problems this franchise has today.
He's done a piss poor job of developing young professionals
Way too many promising young Red Wings went backwards with under Blash.

That was always something Red Wings fans could argue about, I suppose.

But losing by 1.6 goals a game?
By 3 goals a game for 12 games now?
That's not defensible Winger.

The argument is over.
How has Larkin gotten worse? Mantha? Bertuzzi? Hronek?

Above all your homeboy AA? Who isn't a complete detriment in his own end now and has gained the trust of his coach.

Bag on Blashill's ability to win hockey games all you want, it's justified. But don't sit there and type he hasn't made players better, because he has.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What's Larkin averaging this year? Mantha? Bert? The only guy whose IT doesn't match that stretch from last year is AA, and maybe his -18 has something to do with it. Hronek is over 22 minutes a night. Cholowski is getting 17:42 a game, deserved or not.

Blash is playing the kids. Maybe instead of focusing on one month at the end of the year and ignoring all of the reasons the Wings might have overachieved a bit, you should look at the 64 games between the start of last season and Feb 28th where the wings collected on roughly 42% of the available points. This season, they are roughly 5 points behind last years pace for those first 64 games.

It's nice of you to offer suggestions about how I should view the Wings.
But I think the goal differential tells me a lot.
I think 4-11-1 tells me a lot.
That's a nice round number.
9 points in 16 games.
That's 36 in 80 games.

They are WAY worse than 5 points behind last year's pace.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How has Larkin gotten worse? Mantha? Bertuzzi? Hronek?

Above all your homeboy AA? Who isn't a complete detriment in his own end now and has gained the trust of his coach.

Bag on Blashill's ability to win hockey games all you want, it's justified. But don't sit there and type he hasn't made players better, because he has.

Change the subject all you want.

You can argue about whether or not he's made players better.
I'll disagree with you on you most, I suspect.

But regardless. You don't post a -32 goal differential over 12 games in the modern NHL unless you've got a serious problem.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is just you using a lot of words to avoid making a statement about what direction you want the team to make (or think the team should make to reach whatever goal you find to be desirable).

This question is a waste of time to answer because I’m sure you won’t accept it.

Play games
Lose most
Sell whatever possible at deadline
Revisit after the season

That’s what I want the team to do. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This question is a waste of time to answer because I’m sure you won’t accept it.

Play games
Lose most
Revisit after the season

Cool, thank you.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Play games
Lose most
Revisit after the season

Since we have Larkin, Mantha, AA, bertuzzi, Hronek, Cholowski and other youngish types still on the squad, I think development and growth is a critical component of the rest of the season. And it's hard to do that losing by 3 goals a game.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
No fans are going to "shut the hell" up when a team loses by 3 goals a game
Agreed.

If a team looks as though they're 'in the game', and still lose - that's one thing...But if the team is getting knocked around by 3 plus goals a night, and look lost, and/or disinterested - well fans have a right to be upset.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Change the subject all you want.

You can argue about whether or not he's made players better.

But regardless. You don't post a -32 goal differential over 12 games in the modern NHL unless you've got a serious problem.
Gotcha. I'll go on assuming those names didn't get better then.

You post a -32 in the NHL when your team is devoid of talent and your goalies are posting sub .900 save percentages. It falls on both Blashill and the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->