Injury Report: Vol. II (Updates in First Post) | Fleury, Bortuzzo + Määttä Being Tested for Mumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByeByeBylsma*

I agree.
(1) Crosby had none of the classical mumps symptoms (and other than the facial swelling still doesn't)

A good third of mumps cases are relatively asymptomatic. Since Crosby takes meticulous care of himself (while at the same time spending vast swathes of his life in environments with more than average risk of exposure to germs, rather than being a bubble boy), he's likely among the 1% as far as immune systems go.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ding ding ding.

Where Were Adults in Crosby Mumps Mess?

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/12/15/column-grown-ups-mumps-mess/

Is this the article?

That's the one. Long story short their inability to diagnose the mumps and act accordingly created more problems. Dejan is pissy that they acted like the team was clear of mumps when it wasn't.

imo, the biggest problem was blindly believing the test results over the swelling, they all did it. That's not a "grown ups" thing, it's a symptom of the times.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
A good third of mumps cases are relatively asymptomatic. Since Crosby takes meticulous care of himself (while at the same time spending vast swathes of his lives in environments with more than average risk of exposure to germs, rather than being a bubble boy), he's likely among the 1% as far as immune systems go.

Well it is hard to diagnose or even suspect a mumps case when the patient in question has no symptoms of mumps and tests negative in repeated tests and has a good vaccination history (booster & titers) and has an additional injury in the neck.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
That's the one. Long story short their inability to diagnose the mumps and act accordingly created more problems. Dejan is pissy that they acted like the team was clear of mumps when it wasn't.

imo, the biggest problem was blindly believing the test results over the swelling, they all did it. That's not a "grown ups" thing, it's a symptom of the times.

They didn't blindly believe their tests. He didn't have pronounced swelling until Friday morning after the skate, and the medical staff responded by taking additional samples, sending them for more sophisticated tests at the CDC, and warning everyone in the organization that Crosby was a risk for mumps.

What the **** else was the medical staff supposed to do? Magically know that Crosby's face was going to swell up before it happened.

EDIT: When all evidence points to no mumps, doctors believe that evidence until new data emerges like Crosby's swollen face and then they call it a suspected mumps case until it is confirmed by tests.

Also Dejan knows nothing about infectious diseases in general or mumps in particular, and his ignorance is showing.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
apparently i'm the only one that doesn't consider the mumps a fiasco

the medical staff's explanation and timeline makes complete sense. they didn't miss anything. crosby had an injury causing facial swelling at the same time he got the mumps. initial tests were negative. so they rightly assumed he didn't have it. it's not a catastrophe, it's not inexplicable

I've got much fewer bones to pick with that than I do the NHL's response to communicable diseases. Hope nobody's got a pregnant wife at home. :shakehead

I don't know. It just seems like, if you had an epidemic of something in your league, you'd want to step up and say "hey, for all players and employees, we're offering free booster and vaccinations!"

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Those serum tests they keep referring to are frequently False Negative.
Especially in pats w prior vaccination.
To be proactive, when he had continued pain around the salivary gland, they should have done the swab/DNA test Asap.
Incidentally injury to salivary gland is rare. Far less likely than a case of Mumps during an outbreak.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, not to sidetrack us from Mumpy McJawsalot, but we haven't heard about Spaling being injured/not injured yet? Looked like he did something to his hand last night, but I don't remember if he came back (the game was on at 3 a.m. here).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think he came back in, took a shot right to the palm side of his hand. When I saw it I was convinced he'd broken a finger at least.

Last edited:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I hope Beau has a good sense of humor about this and can laugh it off. If it was me, I would change my # because hockey players are weird like that.

But for Beau, it couldn't hurt..or it could, it is Beau Bennett here.

Go back to #78 when he was with the Vees.

At this point I actually want him back in 13, Spaling be damned.

Seems apropos for Bad Luck Beau.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Anyone know when the penguins have their next practice? I'd hope Crosby would be back for it, and in line to play on thursday?

Next practice is tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it's at CEC or Southpointe. Today is a scheduled off day.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well it is hard to diagnose or even suspect a mumps case when the patient in question has no symptoms of mumps and tests negative in repeated tests and has a good vaccination history (booster & titers) and has an additional injury in the neck.

but has a GIANT LUMP on his neck, one of the major signs of mumps, during a mumps outbreak in the NHL. He is the best player in the world. They should have been cautious and quarantined him anyway.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
but has a GIANT LUMP on his neck, one of the major signs of mumps, during a mumps outbreak in the NHL. He is the best player in the world. They should have been cautious and quarantined him anyway.

the neck lump had nothing to do with mumps. the facial swelling happened as the neck swelling was healing

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Sports is entertainment. They are also people. Even when we call them "assets."

You know, I think people consider these injuries and illnesses only from a hockey perspective. They still have to live the rest of the hours outside of hockey hurt/sick just like the rest of us. There lives are affected just like anyone else. It's not a video game where you get to turn it off and resume normal activities.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010

The reason he had no symptoms of the mumps besides the swelling is because he was taking anti-inflammatories to deal with the other neck issue. The anti-inflammatories would have helped fight off the fever and muscle pain which is why the only symptom he had was the swelling.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Still awaiting word on the results of Beau Bennett's mumps test.

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bennett's test results were expected to be available to Penguins officials today, but there was no guarantee they would be.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Well DKs column would seem to confirm that it is Maatta's shoulder, it is a second opinion and it is serious and season-threatening.
HT to our insider sources!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wayne Gretzky and his infinite wisdom thinks Crosby having the mumps will be a good thing because he'll come back stronger from it.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
My mom is in the medical field. The rumor going around, that she heard today about Olli's shoulder surgery is that the docs/surgeons screwed up the surgery and didn't repair it correctly. Hence the reason he's seeking a second opinion.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
My mom is in the medical field. The rumor going around, that she heard today about Olli's shoulder surgery is that the docs/surgeons screwed up the surgery and didn't repair it correctly. Hence the reason he's seeking a second opinion.

can't comment on that, but do find it odd that all of our players are AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!!! and then end up out for the year later on.

Not saying it's related, but it's such a weird coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad