Injury Report: Vol. II (Updates in First Post) | Fleury, Bortuzzo + Määttä Being Tested for Mumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER|TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Pascal Dupuis | N/A | 11.17.14 | 6 Months (minimum) | May 2015 (earliest) | Blood clot in lung | 11.18.14 | @penguins
Beau Bennett | Lower Body + Mumps | 11.26.14 | Unknown | Unknown | Diagnosed with mumps, under quarantine | 12.16.14 | @penguins
Chris Kunitz | Foot | 12.02.14| Couple Weeks | 12.16.14 (earliest) | Practiced with team, not cleared for contact | 12.17.14| @PensInsideScoop
Scott Wilson | Leg | 12.02.14 | 2+ Weeks | 12.17.14 (earliest) | Injured in game v. NJD 12.02 | 12.03.14 | @penguins
Olii Määttä | Upper Body + Illness | 12.08.14 | Unknown | Unknown | Tested for mumps, under quarantine | 12.17.14 | @penguins
Sidney Crosby | Mumps | 12.12.14 | Unknown | Unknown | Skated on his own | 12.17.14| @penguins
Zach Sill | Upper Body | 12.12.14 | Couple Weeks | 12.26.14 (earliest) | Injured during game v. CGY 12.12.14 | 12.12.14 | @penguins
Robert Bortuzzo | Upper Body + Illness | 12.15.14 | Unknown | Unknown | Tested for mumps, under quarantine | 12.17.14 | @penguins
Marc-André Fleury | Illness | 12.17.14 | Unknown | Unknown | Tested for mumps, under quarantine | 12.17.14 | @penguins
« 'Possible Return' calculated by calendar week, i.e. Friday to Friday, from the date reported unless otherwise noted »
« Previous injury thread can be found here »

« 12.17.14 | Practice @ CEC »
Crosby Updates:
Crosby skates on his own before practice; Fleury, Bortuzzo, and Maatta being tested as a precaution. More info: http://pens.pe/1DO1KCT @penguins

Rutherford: Crosby and Johnston will decide whether he participates in Thursday's morning skate. @MolinariPG

Coach on Sid skating on his own this morning: "He looked good on the ice. It was a full skate. He worked on some extra conditioning drills." @penguins

Johnston said there is a chance Crosby will play tomorrow. @JoshYohe_Trib

Kunitz Updates:
Chris Kunitz has joined the #Pens for practice. Manager of team operations Jim Britt is filling in for Marc-Andre Fleury. -MC @PensInsideScoop

Johnston says Kunitz took all drills except contact. Calls it "the first step" of coming back to practice. Doesn't expect him to play Thurs.
@MolinariPG

Mumps Updates:
Penguins say Bortuzzo, Fleury and Maatta are being tested for mumps "as a precaution." @MolinariPG

All three players being tested for mumps "were not feeling well," according to a team release. @MolinariPG

Rutherford on tests for Bortuzzo, Fleury, and Maatta: “We will probably get those results back in a 3 day period." @penguins

Rutherford on Bortuzzo, Fleury, and Maatta: Those three players are in quarantine as a precautionary measure. @penguins

Rutherford says Penguins have been sanitizing rooms at arena for the past week. @MolinariPG

Rutherford says team has recommended all employees get the mumps vaccination being offered. @MolinariPG

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I can't remember a team being hit with so many blood-clot related injuries in recent memory. I know the EU was working on making certain types of painkillers more controlled because they increase the risk of blood-clots, perhaps that's something to do with it?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I can't remember a team being hit with so many blood-clot related injuries in recent memory. I know the EU was working on making certain types of painkillers more controlled because they increase the risk of blood-clots, perhaps that's something to do with it?

I don't know about that, but I do know some of the meds they give folks to prevent it are pretty scary in and of themselves. My grandmother was on Coumadin (Warfarin) for years. It's basically rat poison. Granted, they did monitor it, but she bruised really easily and sometimes her eyes would have blood in them. Better than the alternative of a possible embolism, true, but still ...

Last edited:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I recall years ago Jagr had a ginormous clot removed from his leg from a charley-horse the night before in a game.....they mentioned that the PKs they'd given him may have contributed to the clotting....it does make you think....
Still - having one right after the knee injury and/or surgery is one thing.
Having one months later out of the blue....bad. Have they said anything further re possible cause?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think they've said anything about Dupuis having any possible cause, but iirc there was something about Vokoun having scar tissue in his hip from something that happened as a child and they thought that might contribute to it.

Dupuis having a second one not even a year later makes me think he's done, they may or may not know something more about his situation that they've chose not to disclose.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I recall years ago Jagr had a ginormous clot removed from his leg from a charley-horse the night before in a game.....they mentioned that the PKs they'd given him may have contributed to the clotting....it does make you think....
Still - having one right after the knee injury and/or surgery is one thing.
Having one months later out of the blue....bad. Have they said anything further re possible cause?

:amazed:
Scary, scary **** man. But par for the course ITT.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yes Vokoun had scarring from a burn.

If no obvious cause for Duper that's bad, def possible career ender. Poor guy.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
MJ said Goc didn't break anything and that it's just a bruise but won't play tonight. Good news though.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
What's going on with Bortuzzo? I can't believe he would be a healthy scratch...is he dinged up from his last fight?

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
Any word on letang yet? I know this is kind of cheap, but I really need to know if he will miss more games or not.. Fantasy hockey..

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Any word on letang yet? I know this is kind of cheap, but I really need to know if he will miss more games or not.. Fantasy hockey..

Minor lower body injury. They made it sound as if it won't take long for him to get back.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Jason Mackey @Mackey_Trib
Greetings from Consol Energy Center, where the Pens practice at 11. Marcel Goc (foot) is currently skating on his own.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Shelly Anderson @_ShellyAnderson
#Penguins practice about to start. No Goc (skated earlier), Letang or Bennett.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 6s7 seconds ago
Per Coach Johnston. Goc tested the bruise & matter of pain tolerance. Letang is day-to-day. Goc possible to play tomorrow. Letang out #Pens

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 33m33 minutes ago
Martin leaves the ice after appearing to be struck with a puck on the left side of his face.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Seth Rorabaugh @emptynetters
Johnston said Martin was fine after leaving practice early.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT
@ROOTSPORTSPIT
Duper is on the ice. -DP pic.twitter.com/US7RevamoD

ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT @ROOTSPORTSPIT
Goc is skating as well. DP pic.twitter.com/2aZF03fKj1

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
bortuzzo and crosby are getting "tests" some illness. Mumps?

just heard that on trib radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->