Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in 1st Post) | Crosby, Sheary Out with Concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Did anyone mention the Tim Benz tweet from last night? He apparently saw Sid walking around PPG (during game) in a suit. Said something like "I'm OK". Might be a glimmer of hope.

Agree that even without him we take game 4.

Yeah, but he thought he was 23 and was going to blockbuster.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The only positive I can take from this is that Crosby wasn't unconscious. He was in pain, but he seemed like he knew where he was.

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Burfict, Steckel, this ********, I've never seen a sports city more snake bitten by injuries than Pittsburgh. There is no God and if there is, he can kiss my ass.

Absolutely unbelievable that this happens.

The leagues permit it by only token punishment that deter nothing.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
when does Sully usually address the media on off days? Anyone know the Pens schedule today?

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I have a feeling we won't hear anything about Sid until the warm ups for game 4.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The only positive I can take from this is that Crosby wasn't unconscious. He was in pain, but he seemed like he knew where he was.

He may not of been unconscious but he definitely had his bell rung significantly imo. I will be very surprised to see him in game 4. I would go as far to say I doubt he plays anymore this series. It looked that bad to me. Hope I am wrong.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

He had the same look on his face that I remember on the Steckel/Hedman hits. He didn't look like he didn't know where he was on those either, and he did the same hunched over skating towards the bench.

Optics looked terrible to me. Only thing that gives me slight hope right now is that stupid Tim Benz message :laugh:.

Even if he does play again though how is it gonna be Wednesday? Unless I'm mistaken the concussion protocol usually has you waiting 24 hours without symptoms before taking contact. That means the earliest he could take contact is on a morning skate on Wed, and that's assuming he's symptom free. I dunno that they'd rush him that quick even if he isn't feeling bad.

Maybe he felt fine not long after that hit and they just held him out as a precaution. If he was winking and saying he was okay then maybe that's the case. Even if he felt better there was no way he was coming back into that game last night.

With luck all our consternation is over nothing. Game 4 looms in importance either way now, though.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
He had the same look on his face that I remember on the Steckel/Hedman hits. He didn't look like he didn't know where he was on those either, and he did the same hunched over skating towards the bench.

Optics looked terrible to me. Only thing that gives me slight hope right now is that stupid Tim Benz message :laugh:.

Even if he does play again though how is it gonna be Wednesday? Unless I'm mistaken the concussion protocol usually has you waiting 24 hours without symptoms before taking contact. That means the earliest he could take contact is on a morning skate on Wed, and that's assuming he's symptom free. I dunno that they'd rush him that quick even if he isn't feeling bad.

Maybe he felt fine not long after that hit and they just held him out as a precaution. If he was winking and saying he was okay then maybe that's the case. Even if he felt better there was no way he was coming back into that game last night.

With luck all our consternation is over nothing. Game 4 looms in importance either way now, though.

I like the pens in game 4 regardless. They outplayed the caps last night with 10F and sid going down mid game. As a viewer him going down was SO SO SO deflating to me as I'm sure it was to all here. Can you imagine on the bench?

12F all game wednesday even if one is not 87 I still feel good about them winning at home.

Then you just need to win 1 of 3.

That being said, I'm hoping he is announced as a GTD today and plays tomorrow

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
6 games, which I imagine worked out to something like two to two and a half weeks.

so theoretically even if he's concussed if we make it through the caps we coudl have him back for halfish of the ECF (all big ifs, just highlighting scenarios)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I like the pens in game 4 regardless. They outplayed the caps last night with 10F and sid going down mid game. As a viewer him going down was SO SO SO deflating to me as I'm sure it was to all here. Can you imagine on the bench?

12F all game wednesday even if one is not 87 I still feel good about them winning at home.

Then you just need to win 1 of 3.

That being said, I'm hoping he is announced as a GTD today and plays tomorrow

Ultimately it's still hard for me to see us losing 4 out of 5 to the Caps, especially when 3 of those are at home.

Without Sid it becomes a lot more possible, though. No doubt about that.

With Sid it's really just a question of whether or not he had symptoms last night/today. If he did/does there is no way in hell he's playing again this series. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth.

To me it's not a matter of how long he's out for it's a matter of whether or not he's out at all. If he's concussed, that's it for him until the ECF at the earliest. If he's not, then no harm no foul and we try again tomorrow to take the 3-1 lead.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
when does Sully usually address the media on off days? Anyone know the Pens schedule today?

Practice is scheduled for 12:15 today.

It usually lasts about an hour.

Player media stuff is usually after practice.

Sully usually addresses the media after the players. He does sometimes address the media right after practice, though.

So, 1-2 this afternoon.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens timeline has been as such:
- See how player feels next morning
- See how player feels after activity (usually 48 hours at min after concussion)
- Rest Day
- Practice with team and see how player feels.

So I would imagine the quickest, if diagnosed with a concussion, would be Saturday. At the earliest.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Pens timeline has been as such:
- See how player feels next morning
- See how player feels after activity (usually 48 hours at min after concussion)
- Rest Day
- Practice with team and see how player feels.

So I would imagine the quickest, if diagnosed with a concussion, would be Saturday. At the earliest.

That's what I think too. It's possible however that he felt fine and they just held him out as a precaution. I mean we don't know. Even if Sid said he could go back on the ice there's no way they'd have let him.

If we have to win a game (or two) without him, I still think we can. Even vs the Caps.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yeah I don't think there was any chance Sid was coming back last night regardless of how he felt or whether he was diagnosed with a concussion or not, so we really don't have any idea of what his situation is right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's what I think too. It's possible however that he felt fine and they just held him out as a precaution. I mean we don't know. Even if Sid said he could go back on the ice there's no way they'd have let him.

If we have to win a game (or two) without him, I still think we can. Even vs the Caps.

Which is the possibility I want to see the most. Sometimes these things hurt ya the day after. If they wanted to be safe with a 2-0 lead and your biggest investment, then so be it. I am all for that being the case.

We will see warm ups tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce