Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in 1st Post) | Crosby, Sheary Out with Concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER |TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Kris Letang | Upper Body | 4.5.17 | 4-6 Mos | Next Season | Underwent successful neck surgery this week for a herniated disc | 4.13.17 | @penguins
Matt Murray | Lower Body | 4.13.17 | None Given | Unknown | Skated without EQ | 5.1.17 | @penguins
Sidney Crosby | Concussion | 5.2.17 | None Given | Unknown | Out for Game 4, will be re-evaluated | 5.2.17 | @penguins
Conor Sheary | Concussion | 5.2.17 | None Given | Unknown | Out for Game 4, will be re-evaluated | 5.2.17 | @penguins

Previous injury thread is here
The spreadsheet for tracking injuries during the regular season is here and the one for the playoffs is here. Check the tabs at the bottom for the previous season and playoffs.

« 05.02.17 | Optional Practice »

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Getting the band together. Finally. If it´s just Letang and Hagelin vs Columbus, then it´s not that bad. Kunitz is really just addition by substraction.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Great news on Daley and Rust. I know some are down on Daley, but if he can get it together, his footspeed and ability to join the rush are going to be really beneficial.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Great news on Daley and Rust. I know some are down on Daley, but if he can get it together, his footspeed and ability to join the rush are going to be really beneficial.

I'm not down on Daley.

Put him with Hainsey and let him try his best Letang impression and hope for a decent outcome.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
How the **** does a 33 year old come back from knee surgery faster than a 22 year old comes back from a wrist injury.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Quotes from Geno after today's practice http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2017/04/06/morning-skate-memo-pens-vs-devils/#axzz4dUbFEg3O
On how close he is to returning:
“I think very close. Day by day, skate, practice with team, skate tomorrow, every day I need to skate to be ready for playoffs. We still have, after this game, two left. I hope I play. I’m close, yeah.â€

On how important it is to get into one of the last two games:
“I do my best. If I feel I can play last game or last two, I will. If not, I’m ready for playoffs. It’s tough to say right now. I’m trying to do my best. Every day feels better.â€

On what he feels like he has to do before playoffs start:
“Just work hard. Be ready. We play against Columbus. It’s a tough team. You’ve got to be ready physically, in great shape. Do my job. Skate every day. Work off ice. Help my teammates. We need to be ready right away, first shift, in playoffs.â€

On being out as long as he has:
“It’s a tough situation. It’s a surprise for me too. I feel pain every day. We take a little longer rest. Healing better. It’s not my (decision). We talk to doc. He gives me options. I talk to coach. We work together. They say, ‘We’ll give you more time and be ready to play 100 percent.’â€

On whether he’s still feeling pain:
“No.â€

On Kris Letang’s season-ending injury:
“It’s tough for him. We try to support him. He’s with the team every day too, joking around. He’s a leader with the team. He’s a great playr. I believe he’s a strong man. I believe he’s back next year for sure.â€

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
How the **** does a 33 year old come back from knee surgery faster than a 22 year old comes back from a wrist injury.

The wrist is the most used part in hockey, and it's not surprising that it could also have been a much more difficult surgery too. The hands are also the most complex orthopedic surgeries by far. The orth surgeon I design knee implants with won't see hand patients, but he'll do 3-4 knees/hips per week. By his own admission, hands are just too complex and you have to specialize in just them to be good.

There is no body part that is more complicated from a mechanical density perspective than the hands/wrists. It's like having 5 knees worth of tendons/ligaments in half the space as 1 knee. That doesn't leave much room for screws, implants, etc needed to repair the damage.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Haha me too.

And me . . . :laugh:

That one comment pretty much confirmed what I'd heard about why he was out so long. Team being overly cautious. Geno being smart. In another time, I suspect he'd have been playing through this, but I'm glad they've all learned to be honest about these things and to keep the focus in the right place . . . the playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hainsey and Daley. Okay . . . so what are the other pairs?

I don't know :laugh: I just think I like it:

I'd probably try this:

Dumo-Schultz (have they played together?)
Hainsey-Daley
Cole-Ruh

Maatta probably gets in there too, but I like the look of that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know :laugh: I just think I like it:

I'd probably try this:

Dumo-Schultz (have they played together?)
Hainsey-Daley
Cole-Ruh

Maatta probably gets in there too, but I like the look of that.

Gets trickier with Maatta.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Gets trickier with Maatta.

Agreed. I'm really not sure how exactly to make that work. I guess you could do:

Hainsey-Daley
Maatta-Schultz
Dumo-Cole

And just split everyone, but I don't think that makes sense. I'm really not sure how it will shake out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. I'm really not sure how exactly to make that work. I guess you could do:

Hainsey-Daley
Maatta-Schultz
Dumo-Cole

And just split everyone, but I don't think that makes sense. I'm really not sure how it will shake out.

Pretty sure it won't shake out like that. :laugh:

Well, they'll figure it out. In the meantime, I hear we're down a man for the road trip . . . :laugh:

W5xu_W.gif

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Hainsey-Daley
Maatta-Schultz
Dumo-Cole

We have a top pair in Dumo-Schultz that can play more minutes.

Depends how Daley and Olli come back. I'd start with Maatta-Hainsey, Cole-Daley equally.

If Daley gets back into some form Hainsey-Daley could be good. Just not sure how Maatta-Cole would be but still should be a decent 3rd pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad