Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Clean Out Day Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

penguins2946*

The dupuis situation is key. Almost as crucial to dump/LTIR that contract as it is to ship out Scuds, IMO.

Not even close. Dupuis is still a serviceable player, and as long as he hasn't taken a massive step back, he should be able to contribute a lot on our 3rd line. Scuderi does nothing for us.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not even close. Dupuis is still a serviceable player, and as long as he hasn't taken a massive step back, he should be able to contribute a lot on our 3rd line. Scuderi does nothing for us.

He is? Oh, you mean back in 2014, when he played a handful of games for us? Over the last two years, during which he has played very little, Dupuis has looked like an average third liner. Nothing more. And like Rob Scuderi, Dupuis will be 37 years old by the time the next playoffs begin, so he is only going to look worse from here on.

Nick Spaling is an average (or perhaps, slightly above average) third liner. And most of us here agree that at 2.2 million, he is overpaid.

If you think Dupuis at 3.75 million for another two years (almost 400k more than Scuderi) isn't massively overpaid given his role, then you haven't been paying attention.

penguins2946*

He is? Oh, you mean back in 2014, when he played a handful of games for us? Over the last two years, during which he has played very little, Dupuis has looked like an average third liner. Nothing more. And like Rob Scuderi, Dupuis will be 37 years old by the time the next playoffs begin, so he is only going to look worse from here on.

Nick Spaling is an average (or perhaps, slightly above average) third liner. And most of us here agree that at 2.2 million, he is overpaid.

If you think Dupuis at 3.75 million for another two years (almost 400k more than Scuderi) isn't massively overpaid given his role, then you haven't been paying attention.

I never said he wasn't overpaid. Anyway, even in Dupuis's bad year in 13-14, he was still better than Spaling was at any point this year. Dupuis was also pretty solid at the beginning of this year. He could definitely be a good 3rd liner that can fill in for spot duty in the top-6. Dupuis is overpaid, but he's certainly not close to Scuderi's level in how much we need to move him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dupuis is much more serviceable than Scuderi. If he can hit 35 points, all at ES, and most without Crosby, and be a key PKer and a leader, that's probably worth about $3,000,000. He's not terribly overpaid.

I'd say Kunitz' contract is worse yet. Kunitz is not cut out for the 3rd line and doesn't kill penalties. And if he can only muster 40 points playing in the top 6 all damn year he probably would be hard pressed to hit even 30 on a 3rd line with no PP time.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I never said he wasn't overpaid. Anyway, even in Dupuis's bad year in 13-14, he was still better than Spaling was at any point this year. Dupuis was also pretty solid at the beginning of this year. He could definitely be a good 3rd liner that can fill in for spot duty in the top-6. Dupuis is overpaid, but he's certainly not close to Scuderi's level in how much we need to move him.

No, he was just gifted every opportunity to play alongside one of our two superstar centers, mostly due to the Pens' serious lack of wingers to start the year. Spaling (mostly) plays where he should, which is the bottom 6.

Dupuis plays a style that is predicated on speed. He's played a mere 50 games in the last two years, has undergone major knee surgery, on top of all his extra time off due to his blood thinner therapy. None of this bodes well for a 36 year old winger.

At 3.75 million, Dupuis' contract is a big problem.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dupuis is much more serviceable than Scuderi. If he can hit 35 points, all at ES, and most without Crosby, and be a key PKer and a leader, that's probably worth about $3,000,000. He's not terribly overpaid.

I'd say Kunitz' contract is worse yet. Kunitz is not cut out for the 3rd line and doesn't kill penalties. And if he can only muster 40 points playing in the top 6 all damn year he probably would be hard pressed to hit even 30 on a 3rd line with no PP time.

Not gonna happen. He only hits close to that next season if he's in the top 6. And if he's in the top 6, he's hurting the top 6. I like Duper too, but I doubt you'd pay 3 mil for a third liner, who will be 37 by the time the playoffs come around, if you ran the Pens....nevermind 3.75mil.

Dupuis is in that Kunitz circa 2013 situation, where you can see the wheels beginning to fall off. If you can, you get rid of him now, before he really does become unmoveable.

penguins2946*

No, he was just gifted every opportunity to play alongside one of our two superstar centers, mostly due to the Pens' serious lack of wingers to start the year. Spaling (mostly) plays where he should, which is the bottom 6.

Dupuis plays a style that is predicated on speed. He's played a mere 50 games in the last two years, has undergone major knee surgery, on top of all his extra time off due to his blood thinner therapy. None of this bodes well for a 36 year old winger.

At 3.75 million, Dupuis' contract is a big problem.

That knee surgery didn't seem to slow him down at all at the beginning of this year. We have a lot more pressing issues than moving Dupuis, he's not nearly as big of an issue as Scuderi is.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not gonna happen.
I don't see why not, he's done it in the past, and then some.

He only hits close to that next season if he's in the top 6. And if he's in the top 6, he's hurting the top 6. I like Duper too, but I doubt you'd pay 3 mil for a third liner, who will be 37 by the time the playoffs come around, if you ran the Pens....nevermind 3.75mil.

Uhh, Sutter?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
based on standards of care there is absolutely no way dupuis should ever play another game.

for him to play again would require dupuis and the medical staff to put his life at risk. we already know dupuis is dumb enough to do so, but i have a hard time the medical staff will sign off on letting him play.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

he is not serviceable as a first line winger on Sid's wing. which is exactly where they will play him...

also if I'm not mistaken Dupuis' contract carries a NTC while Kunitz' one doesn't... that alone makes Dupuis' contract worse...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Wow, could you be more wrong?

I would rather have Dupuis on that 3rd line at his cap than Spaling, he fits with Sid as well so he can move up and down.

I know the cool thing is to now dump any one and everyone but Pascal wasn't playing terrible when he was healthy and his speed was still the same. I am for keeping him until his contract is up and he retires

penguins2946*

he is not serviceable as a first line winger on Sid's wing. which is exactly where they will play him...

also if I'm not mistaken Dupuis' contract carries a NTC while Kunitz' one doesn't... that alone makes Dupuis' contract worse...

I never said Dupuis's contract was better than Kunitz's. Kunitz supposedly has a NTC as well. They didn't play him on Sid's wing last year, which doesn't give me a reason to think they will play him there next year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
based on standards of care there is absolutely no way dupuis should ever play another game.

for him to play again would require dupuis and the medical staff to put his life at risk. we already know dupuis is dumb enough to do so, but i have a hard time the medical staff will sign off on letting him play.

Our Medical Staff is led by Dr Nick from The Simpsons.

The thing is, the medical staff will only check someone if they say something is wrong or there is a visible injury, so while we love to blame them and at times it's very justified, Dupuis is a perfect example of when things aren't their fault and it's on the player's head.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I never said Dupuis's contract was better than Kunitz's. Kunitz supposedly has a NTC as well. They didn't play him on Sid's wing last year, which doesn't give me a reason to think they will play him there next year.

I bet you anything if they don't bring in another top six winger, sooner or later Dupuis ends up there. these vets coming from the older regime are toxic for this franchise.

the Pens need to get rid of guys like Kunitz, Scuderi or Dupuis if they really want to move forward...

penguins2946*

I bet you anything if they don't bring in another top six winger, sooner or later Dupuis ends up there. these vets coming off the older regime are toxic for this franchise.

the Pens need to get rid of guys like Kunitz, Scuderi or Dupuis if they really want to move forward...

I can almost guarantee we'll bring in a top-6 winger this offseason. I'm more concerned with JR overpaying for a winger than him not trading for a winger.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
I can almost guarantee we'll bring in a top-6 winger this offseason. I'm more concerned with JR overpaying for a winger than him not trading for a winger.

I just wonder how? Unless a GM has a total different view on one of our dumps than the fan base, the pens have very little trade value. Sid needs a fast line mate to give-and-go with to back defenders off and get some room. Nether Perron or Hornqvist have the wheels to do that. Malkin needs anyone, but what do we have to trade Sutter, one of the farm team defensemen, Another #1 draft pick will any of this get it done?

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't know how they can trust Dupuis not to die because he's a ****ing idiot, but if he does play they'll most likely fall into the veteran, Penguin crown jewel, thing with him. Ugh.

Probably, or they'll botch figuring out what winger to go after.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well what do you do with Dupuis? Doesn't he have a NMC? He also openly admitted to lying to the doctors, that's a massive liability issue right there and if he does die (god forbid)...that's terrible for eveyone involved especially more so his family. I know he wants to play, but he SHOULD retire.

He's a serviceable player if he is 100% and doctors clear him and check up on a weekly basis. The problem is that the team needs to move Scuderi, but won't move Kunitz, needs to move Spaling and Sutter as well (Spaling for cap relief, Scuderi because he's Ian Moran bad and Sutter because the team needs more out of their 3rd line C)...so which category does Dupuis fit? I feel like he's tied in like Kunitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad