Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Clean Out Day Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
He already did admit to not being 100% which is why I find it odd that he would be playing semantics now.

NOT arguing whether Malkin is or isn't injured, as I don't know. I have seen him play this way when it's a confidence issue, and when it's an injury issue, so I'm not sure. BUT -- I do want to say this, about that interview where he "admitted to not being 100%." That was NOT what I thought he was saying, when I watched it. I thought is was a bit of the language barrier, being an issue. When he said "85%, 90%," I think he was answering what he thought was a question about where his game stood in terms of how WELL he was playing, because he was talking about confidence, and needing to shoot more, etc; but then when the reported tried to follow up on the health part of the question, clarifying to say "PHSICALLY where do you think you are", I thought Geno then said "OH, I feel good, you know," or something to that effect. It sounded to me, in context, that his 85 to 90% comment was NOT about his physical condition, but where he thought his game was.

Anyway, again, I am not guessing about whether he is injured, or not; I'm simply saying that I don't think what he said in that interview was about his health...I think people here are attributing something to him that he did not say.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
NOT arguing whether Malkin is or isn't injured, as I don't know. I have seen him play this way when it's a confidence issue, and when it's an injury issue, so I'm not sure. BUT -- I do want to say this, about that interview where he "admitted to not being 100%." That was NOT what I thought he was saying, when I watched it. I thought is was a bit of the language barrier, being an issue. When he said "85%, 90%," I think he was answering what he thought was a question about where his game stood in terms of how WELL he was playing, because he was talking about confidence, and needing to shoot more, etc; but then when the reported tried to follow up on the health part of the question, clarifying to say "PHSICALLY where do you think you are", I thought Geno then said "OH, I feel good, you know," or something to that effect. It sounded to me, in context, that his 85 to 90% comment was NOT about his physical condition, but where he thought his game was.

Anyway, again, I am not guessing about whether he is injured, or not; I'm simply saying that I don't think what he said in that interview was about his health...I think people here are attributing something to him that he did not say.

I agree with this. I went looking for where he said he wasn't 100% health-wise because I attributed that quote to exactly what you're saying. He hasn't admitted to being injured, people just read it that way. Which is obviously fair, but I don't think we're going to see him admit to being injured, just like Sid never admitted it until surgery was on the table and that leaked.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Thought this was interesting ...

From previous comments from HCMJ and stories from Pittsburgh 'news' organizations, it sure sounded like Tanger was done for the season. Then again, it's the Pens' twitter, which is run by the PR folks, so ...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
See when JR said that Letang was "likely" done for the season I took that as "we probably won't make it far enough for him to come back, but there's a chance"

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Is this what the live media availability was on their site. I was looking on the Pens app and saw "LIVE: Penguins Media Availability" and I though JR was getting fired or something hahahaha.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Is this what the live media availability was on their site. I was looking on the Pens app and saw "LIVE: Penguins Media Availability" and I though JR was getting fired or something hahahaha.

No, it's HCMJ's post practice presser

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I don't think you can read much into what Geno says anyway. He is clearly injured IMO, but he's not going to admit it. His skating is definitely sub par right now. That's an injury not a confidence thing. Overall it's probably a combo of things but the injury is the major culprit IMO.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/malkiev01/gamelog/2015/

He was on a torrid pace right up until the Boston game, when he got hurt.. Since then, just two assists. I know he's had cold streaks in the past, but this is just too extreme, and too coincidental for it to just be another cold streak.. He's had plenty of ice time to shake off any rust, so it's not that either.

It's an injury, but we can only speculate as to the severity and exact ailment. He's still playing hard, and has been an animal at times checking and along the boards.. But he isn't shooting, at all... So it probably is a back, as has been suggested.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I don't think you can read much into what Geno says anyway. He is clearly injured IMO, but he's not going to admit it. His skating is definitely sub par right now. That's an injury not a confidence thing. Overall it's probably a combo of things but the injury is the major culprit IMO.

I agree with you Shady, in that I don't think you can read much into what he says. I do think he is probably injured, but I don't believe he was ADMITTING to that, in that interview -- at least the way I judged it.

I was only responding because several people were saying "Geno said he was injured," and I was trying to say that I don't necessarily think he SAID that (but I agree with you that one can't read much into what he did or didn't say, anyway.)

Even if he WAS admitting to injury, when he gave those percentages, I think his 85-90% is still nonsense -- again, can't take much from what is being said; you just can't put much value in talk of injury at this time of year. To my eyes, he's running at more like 70% or so. Nowhere close to "beast-mode Geno," though I am NOT questioning his heart/effort. I think his confidence isn't where it should be, I think he probably is dealing with something nagging, and I just hope he somehow gets enough of a physical and mental boost to be able to help this team past the Rangers -- because he and his line are probably a key to the rest of the series (assuming the other lines continue to contribute as they have thus far)...

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
DegenX

Thanks for keeping this updated all season. Unfortunately we again needed daily updates on the multiple injury status of our team, but fortunately thanks to you we had a reliable place to check everyday.

Your efforts are appreciated.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
DegenX

Thanks for keeping this updated all season. Unfortunately we again needed daily updates on the multiple injury status of our team, but fortunately thanks to you we had a reliable place to check everyday.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Happy to help :)

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
lol what? we knew from the start all he needed was time to rest. he didn't get it

Oh we did did we? Everyone speculated anything from back issues to shoulder problems. Don't act like you had any clue what was going on. No one gets a free pass on this roster. No one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Oh we did did we? Everyone speculated anything from back issues to shoulder problems. Don't act like you had any clue what was going on. No one gets a free pass on this roster. No one.

It was reported multiple times that Geno came back earlier than he should have. Stow your pitchfork.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
You could argue that Malkin coming back to help us win the 2 at home that weekend put us over the top.

Maybe he made his injury worse , who knows.
I'm not questioning him at all. He's obviously been playing when he should not have been. And TG for that or we probably don't get in at all.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

um everyone knew he had a knee injury bro

crosby and malkin have done nothing but sacrifice their entire careers and their health to this stupid organization, yet never complain and their dedication never wavers. they absolutely get a free pass

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Free pass and whatever they want.
Which I hope does not include OUT of this Mickey Moorehouse org.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

I agree that Malkin wasn't playing at full health; however the people claiming that Malkin had a major knee injury (I believe ACL was mentioned) were very mistaken.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

I agree that Malkin wasn't playing at full health; however the people claiming that Malkin had a major knee injury (I believe ACL was mentioned) were very mistaken.

It was his back for sho. He only started shooting again in game 4 and his skating was subpar the whole time. Not a major injury, but one that made him ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad