Injury Report: Vol. 2 (Updates in First Post) | No Geno, No Lovejoy, Flower Will Start @ Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Well to be fair to all parties involved... it's not like we see something like this from Malkin practically every. Single. Year. How would they know how to handle it responsibly, at this point? As far as they knew... playing through a nagging injury and eschewing rest might somehow magically heal it!

I've heard this tends to work better and better the older a player gets and the more injuries they sustain.

Sarcasm aside i'm always surprised at people blaming org, doctors & whatnot over the player. I mean, he should know since it's his ****ing body.

Malkin is extremely competitive, maybe too much when it comes to playing injured. See the Bergeron example, playing with multiple & dangerous injuries while PO stakes were high.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sarcasm aside i'm always surprised at people blaming org, doctors & whatnot over the player. I mean, he should know since it's his ****ing body.

Malkin is extremely competitive, maybe too much when it comes to playing injured. See the Bergeron example, playing with multiple & dangerous injuries while PO stakes were high.

With most players, I think you can trust them to take breaks if they are truly injured. With Malkin, he's loyal to a fault. Loyal to team Russia, loyal to the Penguins, loyal to the fans. The team knows this better than anyone. Bite the bullet for him, make him seem like the good guy while you "force him to sit" and have him healthy for the stretch run.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well to be fair to all parties involved... it's not like we see something like this from Malkin practically every. Single. Year. How would they know how to handle it responsibly, at this point? As far as they knew... playing through a nagging injury and eschewing rest might somehow magically heal it!

I've heard this tends to work better and better the older a player gets and the more injuries they sustain.

I'm just gearing up for our annual "play broken down hockey in the playoffs, then fly across the world to play in a 2nd tier tournament instead of recuperating in the off-season" festivities.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm just gearing up for our annual "play broken down hockey in the playoffs, then fly across the world to play in a 2nd tier tournament instead of recuperating in the off-season" festivities.

Maybe it's because I'm also living 6000 miles away from my family in a totally different culture and living my everyday life in a different language than the one I grew up speaking, but I get that with Malkin. It sucks for the fans, but I get why he does it.

Hopefully, he'll mature on his own like Jagr and quicker to boot. (Remember how many times Jagr aggravated injuries until he hit his 30s?)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe it's because I'm also living 6000 miles away from my family in a totally different culture and living my everyday life in a different language than the one I grew up speaking, but I get that with Malkin. It sucks for the fans, but I get why he does it.

Hopefully, he'll mature on his own like Jagr and quicker to boot. (Remember how many times Jagr aggravated injuries until he hit his 30s?)

I dunno man. It's not even like the tourney was held in Russia. It was in the Czech Republic, and Geno could have just as easily boarded a plane for Magnitogorsk as soon as the playoffs ended if he were homesick.

The ASG, the WCs...strike me as a pattern of messed up hockey priorities. If you're injured, you sit out that crap and prioritize getting healthy for Cup runs. If I'm Geno, going pointless the previous playoffs is pretty embarrassing and something I want to do everything in my power to erase from people's memories the next time out.

Instead, here we are again, with Geno not getting proper rest after another ill-conceived attempt to play relatively inconsequential hockey with a nagging injury.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's a different scenario though, is it not? I'm guessing you live permanently overseas? Malkin can go back home every summer, so at most he's missing home for about 6 months and then is home for about 6 months.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Some people here still don't get how important those WCs and tourneys are for Europeans.

I get it. I don't get putting it over the Stanley Cup when you're getting 9.5 mil per to play in the NHL.

I don't think Geno looks at it as prioritizing one over the other, but in effect, that's what he's doing.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I get it. I don't get putting it over the Stanley Cup when you're getting 9.5 mil per to play in the NHL.

I don't think Geno looks at it as prioritizing one over the other, but in effect, that's what he's doing.

Agreed and I'm not regurgitating the "russians/euros don't care about the cup" trope either. Just that if he can skate, he's going to play for team Russia.

The team needs to adjust for this because he won't.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Going to the WC's last year pissed me off (either the injury wasn't that bad or he's really that stupid, idk which is worse at this point) but the ASG was ridiculous from him and the team. Something is eventually going to give with this, a serious injury problem, the org being strict with him (hah) or him changing on his own. It's the Pens so he'll probably end up needing groin surgery after some collective **** up.

Geno cares too much about too many things and the reality is that his body can't even handle 82 games in the RS as it is, and this isn't a new occurrence.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I want to emphasize here that I have no problem with our guys playing in the ASG or WC any year if they're 100%.

But if they need to heal, they need to get their heads out of their ***** and do what's best for the club team.

Consciously or not, when your priority list goes:

1. WC
2. ASG
3. Stanley Cup

You need to re-assess.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With most players, I think you can trust them to take breaks if they are truly injured. With Malkin, he's loyal to a fault. Loyal to team Russia, loyal to the Penguins, loyal to the fans. The team knows this better than anyone. Bite the bullet for him, make him seem like the good guy while you "force him to sit" and have him healthy for the stretch run.

I also think with Malkin is that he just wants to play hockey. Its his life and he loves it. Thats both good and bad. Good because he wants to be out there, bad because he wont let injuries heal properly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I want to emphasize here that I have no problem with our guys playing in the ASG or WC any year if they're 100%.

But if they need to heal, they need to get their heads out of their ***** and do what's best for the club team.

1. WC
2. ASG
3. Stanley Cup

You need to re-assess.

How is playing in the worlds after being eliminated from the playoffs putting the worlds ahead of the cup?

Ill advised maybe but not prioritizing it over the cup.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Geno will never, ever turn down an opportunity to play for Russia. I'm sure part of him feels guilty for the way he came over to the US, especially because I'm sure some pretty awful **** was said of him for doing so. Him donning his country's colors is his way of trying to mend the broken fences from that ordeal.

And I don't think Geno's priorities are really ordered (ASG, WC, Olympics, Cup, etc). I just think he wants to play hockey, and he'll play for his home country, his NHL team, and in the All Star Game if he's selected. Hockey's everything to the dude, it's his comfort zone, and has been for his entire life. There is no "weighing the consequences." If he is physically able to lace 'em up and skate for a game, he'll do it until a trainer steps in and prevents it.

He's gonna play through injuries. He's gonna beg the trainers to let him play if he's held out. He's only gonna miss time when he's forced to, so for him to be out, it's gotta be a little more than bumps and bruises.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

1. WC
2. ASG
3. Stanley Cup

You need to re-assess.

Maybe, his priorities are his own and they can be whatever he so chooses.

crossicepass

Sep 7, 2008
Geno will never, ever turn down an opportunity to play for Russia... Hockey's everything to the dude, it's his comfort zone, and has been for his entire life. There is no "weighing the consequences." If he is physically able to lace 'em up and skate for a game, he'll do it until a trainer steps in and prevents it.

He's gonna play through injuries... .

Good stuff.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How is playing in the worlds after being eliminated from the playoffs putting the worlds ahead of the cup?

Ill advised maybe but not prioritizing it over the cup.

Because he misses time due to wear and tear every season. The NHL season's a gauntlet, and Geno's had a hard time running it. Playing injured in things like the WC and ASG when he could be recuperating contributes to that.

Maybe, his priorities are his own and they can be whatever he so chooses.

No ****. But then he can rack up ASG and WC accolades, because his time winning anything of consequence at the NHL level is probably done.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No ****. But then he can rack up ASG and WC accolades, because his time winning anything of consequence at the NHL level is probably done.

:facepalm:

Going to the ASG and playing in WC =/= Not winning Stanley Cups.
Again, who are you to say which one should be more important to him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because he misses time due to wear and tear every season. The NHL season's a gauntlet, and Geno's had a hard time running it. Playing injured in things like the WC and ASG when he could be recuperating contributes to that.

I think you need to take a break for a bit :laugh:

Should Geno have sat out of the WC's last year? Probably. Should he have sat out of the All Star game? I'm voting yes but I have no idea when he was injured.

But using those two things to question his dedication to winning a Stanley Cup is pretty ridiculous. For all we know the Penguins wanted him to play in the All Star game for fan interest.

Geno wants to win badly. Anyone questioning his motives or priorities to win a Cup are barking up the wrong tree IMO. Same with Sid. Same with Letang. It's fair to question his judgment, but not his motives.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

THe reason why his time winning anything of consequence at the NHL level is done doesn,t have anything to do with HIM! The organization's incapacity to build around (bad pro scouting, not a lot of draft picks, bad development) Fleury, Sid, Letang and him is the reason why. Let's not mix things up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
THe reason why his time winning anything of consequence at the NHL level is done doesn,t have anything to do with HIM! The organization's incapacity to build around (bad pro scouting, not a lot of draft picks, bad development) Fleury, Sid, Letang and him is the reason why. Let's not mix things up.

Yup and I even understand questioning his judgment and being frustrated by going to the WC's last year and the All Star game this year. What I don't understand is how you can tie that to his priorities to win a Cup.

He is an NHL hockey player. As an NHL hockey player, you are supposed to play in the All Star game if invited. He is doing his 'duty' as a player to participate. It's also supposed to be a game that gives back to the fans. I'm sure he feels both of those loyalties. IMO, it's up to the team to tell him not to play if he has a nagging injury. Now, if they told him not to and he said 'I'm playing anyway' then that's all on him. Does anyone actually believe the team told him that?

As for the WC's, I understand the frustration given his lack of production and supposedly playing injured in the playoffs, but if he wants to play and it won't impact his off season healing and training, why is it the Penguin's business? Did he come to training camp late, injured, or out of shape? If the answer is no, then I don't see the major issue.

Should we question his motives if he plays in the World Cup? That tournament is at least within striking distance of the NHL season and an injury suffered there could really hurt a team's playoff chances.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Looking like no Geno tonight. From the Pen's Game Day article:

With Evgeni Malkin out of the lineup, there is a hole on the Pens’ top power play. Look for forward Conor Sheary to have a shot with that unit. He practiced in that spot on Wednesday and it’s a position he’s played a lot with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If we're doing Futurama reactions, it's time for my go to.

im_shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad