Injury Report: Vol. 2 (Updates in First Post) | No Geno, No Lovejoy, Flower Will Start @ Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
no idea why we're bashing and questioning geno. it's the team's job to make sure a guy like him doesn't run himself into the ground and once again they failed

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think you need to take a break for a bit :laugh:

Should Geno have sat out of the WC's last year? Probably. Should he have sat out of the All Star game? I'm voting yes but I have no idea when he was injured.

But using those two things to question his dedication to winning a Stanley Cup is pretty ridiculous. For all we know the Penguins wanted him to play in the All Star game for fan interest.

Geno wants to win badly. Anyone questioning his motives or priorities to win a Cup are barking up the wrong tree IMO. Same with Sid. Same with Letang. It's fair to question his judgment, but not his motives.

I said "consciously or not", Shady.

Geno clearly cares more about winning a Cup than he does about attending an ASG, but what he doesn't realize is that these little detours take their toll and ultimately affect his ability to stay healthy over the course of the season, which indirectly affects our playoff seeding and directly affects his playoff performance.

:facepalm:

Going to the ASG and playing in WC =/= Not winning Stanley Cups.
Again, who are you to say which one should be more important to him.

1. This team is built around a small core of very highly paid players.

2. In order for this team to win, it requires all the principals to be healthy.

3. If they do not make their health the main priority and do things like play in inconsequential events while they are hurt, they have a much worse chance of withstanding the rigours of an 82 game season plus 4 7-game playoff series.

I don't see how any of this is remotely debatable.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I said "consciously or not", Shady.

Geno clearly cares more about winning a Cup than he does about attending an ASG, but what he doesn't realize is that these little detours take their toll and ultimately affect his ability to stay healthy over the course of the season, which indirectly affects our playoff seeding and directly affects his playoff performance.

1. This team is built around a small core of very highly paid players.

2. In order for this team to win, it requires all the principals to be healthy.

3. If they do not make their health the main priority and do things like play in inconsequential events while they are hurt, they have a much worse chance of withstanding the rigours of an 82 game season plus 4 7-game playoff series.

I don't see how any of this is remotely debatable.

Its a giant leap from all of that to, cant win Stanley Cup if you play in the All Star Game or the World Championships. And that is also not debatable.

Not to mention point 3 is disingenuous at best. For one, playing through either with a nagging injury will likely not lead to any unfortunate result. Even if it does its likely to be relatively minor. And secondly who are you to call the World championships an inconsequential event. Especially for Europeans who don't live an die with an NHL team growing up.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Its a giant leap from all of that to, cant win Stanley Cup if you play in the All Star Game or the World Championships. And that is also not debatable.

The margin for error is extremely slim, and we can't afford any of our superstars to be in less than peak condition if we want to win. Doing things like the AS and WC while injured takes its toll, and adds another variable we don't need.

Not to mention point 3 is disingenuous at best. For one, playing through either with a nagging injury will likely not lead to any unfortunate result. Even if it does its likely to be relatively minor. And secondly who are you to call the World championships an inconsequential event. Especially for Europeans who don't live an die with an NHL team growing up.

It already has. Instead of recuperating, Malkin chose to play while dealing with a nagging injury. Consequently, we've left points on the table in a tight playoff race playing without Geno. That affects not only whether we make the playoffs as a bubble team, but if we do make it, changes things like seeding. You see the ripple effect there?

Don't get twisted about semantics. As I've said time and again, the WC is relatively inconsequential...as in, relative to the Cup. If you disagree, then we're not going to find common ground here.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The margin for error is extremely slim, and we can't afford any of our superstars to be in less than peak condition if we want to win. Doing things like the AS and WC while injured takes its toll, and adds another variable we don't need.

It already has. Instead of recuperating, Malkin chose to play while dealing with a nagging injury. Consequently, we've left points on the table in a tight playoff race playing without Geno. That affects not only whether we make the playoffs as a bubble team, but if we do make it, changes things like seeding. You see the ripple effect there?

Don't get twisted about semantics. As I've said time and again, the WC is relatively inconsequential...as in, relative to the Cup. If you disagree, then we're not going to find common ground here.

1. I hate to quote Mike Tomlin, but you cant live in your fears. Unless its an injury your going to make worse it really should take its toll in more than a very low number of cases.

2. Has it though? Prove that sitting out the ASG would have any effect what so ever. He would have likely been doing some sort of skating or physical activity anyway. Even if it has it relatively minor considering the big picture. if Chris Neil didn't do Chris Neil things, this wouldn't even be as issue. And if this were the playoffs right now he would be playing through it.

3. But its not inconsequential to some players. To me sure, I couldn't care less, but for someone growing up in Russia or Solvokia etc. Its part of their fabric. Its not a stretch to believe there is more of an emotional connection and importance to their national teams than their professional teams.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1. I hate to quote Mike Tomlin, but you cant live in your fears. Unless its an injury your going to make worse it really should take its toll in more than a very low number of cases.

2. Has it though? Prove that sitting out the ASG would have any effect what so ever. He would have likely been doing some sort of skating or physical activity anyway. Even if it has it relatively minor considering the big picture. if Chris Neil didn't do Chris Neil things, this wouldn't even be as issue. And if this were the playoffs right now he would be playing through it.

3. But its not inconsequential to some players. To me sure, I couldn't care less, but for someone growing up in Russia or Solvokia etc. Its part of their fabric. Its not a stretch to believe there is more of an emotional connection and importance to their national teams than their professional teams.

1. It's not living in fear, it's managing variables in order to have the best chance to win.

2. Prove it? He went to a competitive event that could have only aggravated it when the alternative was to get a week of rest and skating on his own. If you think those two have the same effect on a nagging injury, there's no point in continuing the conversation because we have no common ground.

3. Again, if you think it'd be alright for an NHL player making 9.5 mil per to consciously prioritize the WC over the Stanley Cup, we can stop arguing right now.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
1. It's not living in fear, it's managing variables in order to have the best chance to win.

2. Prove it? He went to a competitive event that could have only aggravated it when the alternative was to get a week of rest and skating on his own. If you think those two have the same effect on a nagging injury, there's no point in continuing the conversation because we have no common ground.

3. Again, if you think it'd be alright for an NHL player making 9.5 mil per to consciously prioritize the WC over the Stanley Cup, we can stop arguing right now.

1. Yeah, ok sure

2. Prove that this specific All Star Game led to the aggravation or worsening of this injury? Its possible, but unless you think it would have completely cleared up in that time frame the play that aggravated it in the Ottawa game was still likely to have the same result.

3. I think any player making any amount can prioritize anything they want. And you or anyone else has absolutely no right to say otherwise.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1. Yeah, ok sure

2. Prove that this specific All Star Game led to the aggravation or worsening of this injury? Its possible, but unless you think it would have completely cleared up in that time frame the play that aggravated it in the Ottawa game was still likely to have the same result.

3. I think any player making any amount can prioritize anything they want. And you or anyone else has absolutely no right to say otherwise.

That`s a false dichotomy. All I need to believe is that Malkin would recover sooner had he used some discretion and kept out of the ASG.

And number 3...yeah, we`re done.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That`s a false dichotomy. All I need to believe is that Malkin would recover sooner had he used some discretion and kept out of the ASG.

And number 3...yeah, we`re done.

Which is a complete assumption, especially considering the lack of contact in the ASG AND that he would be doing some sort of either skating or physical activity on those days anyway.

Your literally complaining about a "game" that's much shorter and slightly more intense than your average practice.

The ASG actually effecting this injury is minute.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What is up with Malkin's injuries ALWAYS resulting in him missing multiple games? It seems like other teams' star players have to miss 2 or 3 games at most when they have a "nagging injury", but Malkin's injuries turn into month-long absences.

His body seems to have the healing ability of an 80-year old man who worked heavy construction all his life. :laugh:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
What is up with Malkin's injuries ALWAYS resulting in him missing multiple games? It seems like other teams' star players have to miss 2 or 3 games at most when they have a "nagging injury", but Malkin's injuries turn into month-long absences.

His body seems to have the healing ability of an 80-year old man who worked heavy construction all his life. :laugh:

He waits too long to sit a few games so a minor nagging thing becomes something more. That would be my guess.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
He waits too long to sit a few games so a minor nagging thing becomes something more. That would be my guess.

That has to be it.

It's so frustrating because not since he got tangled up with Tyler Meyers can I actually pinpoint a play where Malkin gets hurt. He always just acts weird for a few games and then is out for a month. Or last year when he actually showed up to training camp inured. It's extremely discouraging.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Which is pretty much the amount of punishment that hockey players endure. There's also a lot of doping and painkillers going around that aren't talked about until it turns into something tragic like Boogaard's death/suicide. Perhaps that's skewing perceptions a bit.

I mean, it's gotten to the point where they've started to do a lot of research as to why professional athletes in almost every sport have much lower life expectancies that your average unhealthy slob, but those studies are going to take years to run, if the leagues don't sabotage them first. :dunno:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

That would also be my guess, or it's the types of injuries he picks up. Probably both, knowing this team. I'll consider it a win if he cracks 70 games in a season. Looking at the schedule they play the 20th, 21st, 24th, 27th and 29th, so after the weekend they have a lighter schedule for a bit that should limit the number of games he misses and potentially some time off between games if he's back for Boston.

You'd think something would have to give there eventually. Malkin learns a lesson, the medical staff/org gets stricter with him or a nagging injury becomes something serious (my bet).

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
That has to be it.

It's so frustrating because not since he got tangled up with Tyler Meyers can I actually pinpoint a play where Malkin gets hurt. He always just acts weird for a few games and then is out for a month. Or last year when he actually showed up to training camp inured. It's extremely discouraging.

I'm relatively new hockey fan, but this is when Geno get injured the last season and this season.

He had an ankle injury last year, this year it's some sort of leg injury too, I guess.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, but who actually believed that? :laugh:

The last I recall Sullivan wouldn't even fully call him day to day and we all know day to day is bs in Penguins land anyway.

No one. I like how it went from "just the weekend" to "uh, it's not day-to-day, but it's not long-term" to essentially "maybe someday he'll return again"

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No one. I like how it went from "just the weekend" to "uh, it's not day-to-day, but it's not long-term" to essentially "maybe someday he'll return again"

The tweets from today killed me, tbh.

He's progressing.

Still definitely out for the next two days. From that nagging injury that meant he'd miss a weekend... the last game he played was on the second, so there's a chance he'll play in a game three weeks later... :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

We're officially at "long term" in my opinion. Team is 4-2-1 without him. Missing at least two this weekend. That's 9. We're over 10% of the season for one injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad