Injury Report: Vol. 2 Is Up; Mods, please close this one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Gotta love the NHL's PR BS! I just got this from the the Pens vs Avs preview:

Penguins team scope: Defenseman Olli Maatta was hospitalized overnight after sustaining an upper-body injury in Pittsburgh's 4-3 win against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. Maatta hit an open door on the Wild's bench after colliding with Wild forward Nino Niederreiter. The Penguins said Maata was re-examined on Wednesday and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks; his injury is unrelated to any previous one he has sustained.

BWHAHAHA!!! This is beyond ridiculous, ****ing utter uber BS if you ask me! :laugh:

The jerk who wrote this obviously didn't see the play or was just paid to write nonsense. :shakehead

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020280&navid=sb:preview&intcmpid=sb-preview

Last edited:

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Maatta hit an open door on the Wild's bench after colliding with Wild forward Nino Niederreiter.
collide (v) - Hit with force when moving.

I guess technically there was a collision between Niederreiter hand and Maatta's back... :shakehead

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's the same exact play that causes guys to lose their edge heading into the end boards and break their leg/ankle. That sneaky little two-handed shove to the lower back of a guy who isn't expecting it (nor should he be, since it's an illegal move).

Should've been at least a few games. I don't care if Maatta got hurt or not, that kind of play shouldn't be in the game. Period. Maatta didn't have the puck and there was no need to do it. Nino hit him from behind right next to the boards.

I wonder if Nino gets suspended if it was Sid on the receiving end of the hit.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's the same exact play that causes guys to lose their edge heading into the end boards and break their leg/ankle. That sneaky little two-handed shove to the lower back of a guy who isn't expecting it (nor should he be, since it's an illegal move).

Should've been at least a few games. I don't care if Maatta got hurt or not, that kind of play shouldn't be in the game. Period. Maatta didn't have the puck and there was no need to do it. Nino hit him from behind right next to the boards.

I wonder if Nino gets suspended if it was Sid on the receiving end of the hit.

They let Staal maul Crosby in the playoffs in an alarming way, so I doubt it. If the hit was significantly uglier or it had immediately come out that he'd broken something then they might have cared, or at least given a token slap on the wrist. The league is just a joke that doesn't really care about protecting the talent or player safety in general.

Orpik getting beaten by Thornton was a joke punishment and Rinaldo is still in the league after he bragged about injuring Letang. Those two always stand out for the Pens on the sheer not giving a **** scope from the NHL.

It's sad, but this will probably end in some truly horrific injury and some massive lawsuits. Everyone will be able to point back at about a hundred examples of the league blatantly not caring about safety or enforcing its own rules properly, and that's without much effort.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I still don't think Nino should be suspended for that, but how it doesn't get a penalty when you could have called him for almost every penalty in the book is ridiculous.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
NBA is the worst. Maatta was was at least away from the puck at this point so the ref could be following the puck and miss the board.

The guy has the ball with all eyeballs on him and gets away with like 7 steps.
steps.gif

I see a fumble, a fumble recovery and a good touch down. Receiver wasn't down by contact so what's the problem?

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I still don't think Nino should be suspended for that.

I don't get this line of thinking. First I'm european and spent a lot of my life watching soccer. But you have 82 games per season in the NHL. Is being suspended for 1-2 really a big thing. In soccer you are easily suspended fpr 10% of the season and nobody cares. Why would it be such a big deal to suspend someone who injured a player on a clearly illegal play?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still don't think Nino should be suspended for that, but how it doesn't get a penalty when you could have called him for almost every penalty in the book is ridiculous.

You want to stop needless injuries to vulnerable players? Eliminate these stupid two-hand shoves to a guy's lower back from behind. It doesn't matter that Maatta got injured, that just emphasizes the point. These kind of stupid, needless shoves and cross checks that happen dozens of times a game need to stop. We see it with guys heading behind the goal to play the puck and it ends up with serious injuries to a player's leg/ankle/shoulder/collarbone/etc. You see it with guys close to the boards like Maatta, etc. Maatta didn't have the puck, Nino was headed off the ice, it had no bearing on the play whatsoever. He just hit/shoved him just to do it, and that **** shouldn't fly.

There's no need for it, and the league needs to eliminate it. You do so by coming down hard on it, and Nino's check fits the bill in my opinion. I'd have given him 3-5 games.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think Nino's push was as bad simply because he was pushing Maata up ice instead of into the boards. It's still a dangerous play though cuz any misstep by Maata and he could still end up paralyzed.

This is really bad though:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
NBA is the worst.

The guy has the ball with all eyeballs on him and gets away with like 7 steps.
steps.gif

Basketball has become a joke as far as rules enforcement. Virtually every point guard in the league (for years) palms the ball every single time they touch it, guys take extra steps around the basket constantly, etc. But the NBA wants Flash and Cash so they tell the refs to let it go. Would be curious to see what kind of massive dent it would put in these guys' stats if suddenly the rules were enforced every game. :laugh:

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Basketball has become a joke as far as rules enforcement. Virtually every point guard in the league (for years) palms the ball every single time they touch it, guys take extra steps around the basket constantly, etc. But the NBA wants Flash and Cash so they tell the refs to let it go. Would be curious to see what kind of massive dent it would put in these guys' stats if suddenly the rules were enforced every game. :laugh:

The NBA is like Bizarro-NHL. Rules are not called to let the skilled players shine and to make the game exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad