Injury Report: Vol. 2 Is Up; Mods, please close this one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Niederreiter took no responsibility for what he did either. ****ing ********. I wish I could say that I was surprised that (1) there was no penalty on the play and (2) there isn't no punishment but I'm not in the least. We've come to expect this from these idiots. Even if Maatta wasn't hurt there should have been a penalty at least.

Olli has had absolutely the worst luck. Hope he can come back soon.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
WHAT?! Nino has nothing to do with injury, that door was opened after checking

Pushing a guy that doesn't have the puck in the back while that player is facing the boards has nothing to do with falling into the boards and sustaining an injury?

The door being opened certainly played a major factor in the severity of the injury, but that was a dangerous and illegal play. Why was Nino shoving Maatta in the back anyway? That's the point.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The guy that launched him into the boards with an illegal check face first had nothing to do with his injury?

Yes, injury was nothing but bad luck. Take a notice angle Määttä came in to the boards, without door opening he wouldn't even fall. It just looks extremely bad cause the result.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yes, injury was nothing but bad luck. Take a notice angle Määttä came in to the boards, without door opening he wouldn't even fall. It just looks extremely bad cause the result.

He was also pushed from behind, towards the boards, this while he didn't even have the puck...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A defenseless player being pushed into the boards from behind with the puck nowhere near him should be an automatic 5 and a couple games.

The door opening and causing it to be a much more significant injury should only play into the suspension talk...I think it's ridiculous that it absolved him entirely, but there was no way it was going to be a huge suspension because of the door playing a role.

Still...what is Määttä supposed to do there? You can't hit a completely defenseless player who has no ****ing clue that he's about to get shoved into the boards. It's a despicable play and one that I thought the NHL was trying to do away with.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
http://www.tsn.ca/pens-maatta-cleared-of-internal-injuries-after-hit-into-bench-door-1.395775

Injured Pittsburgh Penguin defenceman Olli Maatta did not sustain any internal injuries, as was first feared when he was shoved through an open bench door by Minnesota’s Nino Niederreiter Tuesday night, but there’s enough soft tissue and muscle damage to his mid-section that he’s likely to be considered more week-to-week than day-to-day.

It’s still too early, though, to put a precise timeline on his absence from the Penguins’ lineup. Maatta remained in hospital overnight for testing and treatment. How he continues to respond will ultimately determine when he’s able to play again.

This is at least encouraging, I was afraid of spinal damage, That doesn't seem like a long term injury.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
At least Cole gave him a viscious love tap with his stick. That'll really got even with him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That sounds really encouraging.

In regards to the hit I don't think it warrants a suspension, but certainly a penalty at the time, even a major. Niederreiter actually chased Maatta down (slightly) and had to *reach* to give Maatta a shove in the back in dangerous proximity to the boards long after the puck was gone. Hell, Maatta seemed to be intent on heading to the bench. That's as unnecessary as it gets.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Uhh yeah. Nino is definitely at fault here. It's a shove from behind, on a defenseless player, near the boards, without the puck. He had no business doing anything there.

Having said that, the door to the bench being open is completely bad luck. If you look to the left of Olli, there is another Minny player coming in towards the bench. If thats the case, then the door would be opening for him. Just really unlucky timing.

But Nino is definitely at fault no matter what.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They should probably leave those doors closed while the play is going on. But maybe if the changing Wild player has to jump over the boards, Maatta gets a skate in the face.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Was just reading a third party site, and someone is alleging that Kuemper opened the door in what looks to be a purposeful manner. Any thoughts?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Was just reading a third party site, and someone is alleging that Kuemper opened the door in what looks to be a purposeful manner. Any thoughts?

Well, I'm sure he opened the door intentionally. That's the backup's job. But I don't think he intended to injure Maatta, or had any clue Maatta was there. That would be crazy.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Only that the players involved would know that for sure and it'd be impossible for us to judge intent or find out from footage on the internet.

So why even waste a thought on it?

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.tsn.ca/pens-maatta-cleared-of-internal-injuries-after-hit-into-bench-door-1.395775

This is at least encouraging, I was afraid of spinal damage, That doesn't seem like a long term injury.

Did the media up in Canada once again beat the Pittsburgh media in reporting news?

I went to see what any of the local outlets had and the only thing I could find was a Yohe tweet linking me to DK's site which required a login. I never liked DK so I never had interest in his site but does he actually require login credentials to read content?

Last edited:

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I swear I can't think of another sport with worse refs than hockey. how the **** do they not get suspended for something like this? they didn't even stop the play initially. and then they called Cullen for that ridiculous hooking. how do you get away with **** like this?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I swear I can't think of another sport with worse refs than hockey. how the **** do they not get suspended for something like this? they didn't even stop the play initially. and then they called Cullen for that ridiculous hooking. how do you get away with **** like this?

Don't forget they called a high stick on the Wild when it was Maatta's stick.

And then that extremely light tap by Cole that Niederreiter sold and the ref bought.

And Perron getting 2 minutes because Dumba ran into his own goaltender.

And the obvious dive by Granlund.

It's a circus.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

That's the dumbest thing i have heard in a while. There was no motive, just bad luck for Maatta. Nino should get 2-3 games, nothing should happen to Kuemper. Those nut job conspiricy theorists are nutjobs.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
if you want injuries like this out of the game, this is the exact type of play that should get a player suspended. a shove from behind on an unexpected player close to the boards and who passed the puck 2 seconds before. this should be a textbook suspension, regardless of the outcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad