Confirmed with Link: Vladislav Gavrikov To Sign with CBJ

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nope. 10 games is the cutoff for burning a year off his ELC. He burned a year (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, could even be beneficial for CBJ).

11 games is the cutoff for expansion draft eligibility. Exact same thing as happened with Comtois earlier in the season.
That's not correct. 10 games burns his first year of the ELC which counts as a year of service. He'll be in year 3 of his ELC the year of expansion. He's eligible. Same rules as vegas. Wish it weren't true but it is.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
That's not correct. 10 games burns his first year of the ELC which counts as a year of service. He'll be in year 3 of his ELC the year of expansion. He's eligible. Same rules as vegas. Wish it weren't true but it is.

I haven't found an official rule on it. But I did find this, thanks to Google, which states it's 11 games for expansion draft eligibility for some reason:

Columbus Blue Jackets Recall Alexandre Texier

If Texier plays well and helps the Blue Jackets into the playoffs there’s a chance he could suit up in the postseason, but the team will have to consider what is at risk. As a 19-year old his contract is still set to slide forward a year, meaning he could burn a year by playing in 10 games or more. That number includes playoff matches, which means they would need to win a round for it to become an issue. That too applies to his expansion draft eligibility, which would only become an issue after 11 games played.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Again, wrong. ELC burning cutoff is 10 games, expansion eligibility is 11.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Again, wrong. ELC burning cutoff is 10 games, expansion eligibility is 11.
Look, you can be snarky all you want. Here is the wording from the actual CBA (section 10.2)...

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

So...if the expansion daft requires someone with 2 years of service... Tex will meet that requirement and need protected. There are also articles supporting this. I have not seen anything that indicates a difference between 10 or 11 games. I hope I am wrong but from all I've read, Tex is eligible. He played 10 games. Year one is burned. He'll be an RFA when the Expansion Draft comes around.

Here's another link that has to do with Makar. Difference in age but outlines the 18/19 year old point:

Reactions: Nordique

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Look, you can be snarky all you want. Here is the wording from the actual CBA (section 10.2)...

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

So...if the expansion daft requires someone with 2 years of service... Tex will meet that requirement and need protected. There are also articles supporting this. I have not seen anything that indicates a difference between 10 or 11 games. I hope I am wrong but from all I've read, Tex is eligible. He played 10 games. Year one is burned. He'll be an RFA when the Expansion Draft comes around.

Here's another link that has to do with Makar. Difference in age but outlines the 18/19 year old point:

Yeah, I’m going under the assumption until I hear officially otherwise that he’s eligible for the expansion draft. I have no idea why it’d be 10 to burn the first year of the contract but 11 for expansion. Maybe if it was 10 for the year and 25 for expansion or something, but only one game difference? Yeah, I doubt that. Particularly since the only official criteria is “first and second year player”. I think if there was a game difference, it’d actually be specified in the official rules.

I’m guessing a reporter read “10 or more” for the ELC as “more than 10” and then that shoddy reporting led to a miscommunication or something. But I have not seen anything indicating that it’s actually 11 games outside of a few one-off articles/tweets. If voicing my opinion can provide something more official, that’d be great. Doubt he can though because I doubt it exists.

Reactions: Nordique

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm not being snarky. I'm telling you the literal facts. What you are talking about is not the expansion draft criteria. Expansion draft eligibility comes from pro years counted towards waiver eligibility; that is 11 or more games played in a season for 18/19 year olds.

By the way that Makar info is also wrong. He needed to be protected in the expansion draft the moment he played one game. Same as Gavrikov, because these are 20+ players.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The CBA contains multiple definitions of "a year of professional experience". We do not know exactly which one (if any) applies to the expansion draft, but past clues have suggested that it's based on the rules for determining eligibility for Salary Arbitration and RFA status, not waivers. (The reasoning I'm familiar with is that it's possible to "skip" a year w/r/t arbitration and RFA status, because they accrue years based on those same criteria. Waivers, on the other hand, have a set time limit and a starting point.)

I'd put together a diagram based on that information:

expansiondraftqualifier-v3-png.195371

Presuming it's accurate, Tex will likely have to be protected, but Gavrikov will not.

Now, that said, CapFriendly and Eliotte Friedman are both really good sources, and they're saying (essentially) it's based on the waiver rules per that post just prior to this one. So it's very probable that that diagram is wrong and @voicing my opinion has it right (that is, indeed, what the waiver rules say). I haven't seen anything definite; this is still all educated guesswork. I don't know if they actually know, or if they're also making educated guesses.

It'd be so much easier if the NHL and NHLPA just clearly published the details of the expansion draft rules, but nooooo...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm also assuming that teams like Ducks and Jackets have clarified this from the league and know what they are doing. Playing these guys just enough to make them expansion eligible would be braindead considering they weren't important pieces of the team or anything. Burning a year off ELC is nothing, like I said earlier it can even be beneficial for the team, but avoiding the expansion is actually very important.

I've seen from multiple places that it's the waiver thing that matters. I do know for sure that Andrew Copp played 1 game in 14-15 and that counted towards pro season and he had to be protected. That's the Makar and Gavrikov 20+ year old thing. So your graphic is 100% wrong with this one. The limit is 1 game, not 10, for 20+ year olds.

And based on this, and countless other sources and info, for 18/19 year olds the limit is indeed 11 games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
When all is said & done I''d rather have Gav be free from protection as we will likely have more than 3 D we will want to protect. F's I'm not worried.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
When all is said & done I''d rather have Gav be free from protection as we will likely have more than 3 D we will want to protect. F's I'm not worried.
That's exactly why Texier being ineligible for the draft is so important. They can only protect 4 forwards if they protect 4 defensemen. If they end up protecting 5 defensemen, it's only 3 forwards.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That's exactly why Texier being ineligible for the draft is so important. They can only protect 4 forwards if they protect 4 defensemen. If they end up protecting 5 defensemen, it's only 3 forwards.

I'm really afraid Savard is going to Seattle.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm really afraid Savard is going to Seattle.
If that is who we lose then so be it. We will lose someone of value as will every other team in the league and Seattle will have a stacked roster just like Vegas was given. I'm not going to sweat it. Especially when the draft is 2 years away. Savard could be a 3rd pairing D by then.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If that is who we lose then so be it. We will lose someone of value as will every other team in the league and Seattle will have a stacked roster just like Vegas was given. I'm not going to sweat it. Especially when the draft is 2 years away. Savard could be a 3rd pairing D by then.

Fine. I just love Savard

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
"Знакомимся ближе" с Владиславом Гавриковым | Национальная хоккейная лига
Hey guys! This just came out yesterday on the NHL in Russian website.
This is the weekly column where you get to know a Russian player in the NHL - this week it's with your defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov #44
The main things we learn from the interview are:

• This is sad for me. He together with Panarin helped Bobrovsky move out from his apartment. His main involvement was to carry things, while his girlfriend (Nastya) helped with packing. He jokes that he didn't rent Bobrovsky's apartment and he tells the story of how he found an apartment.
  • He did not want to stay at a hotel for a long time, so one day he went on a walk together with his girlfriend and their dog in the area close by the arena. By chance they met a family at the back of an apartment building, because their dog went to them. They really like the apartment building.
  • It turned out that in that apartment building actually live Markus Nutivaara #65 and Boone Jenner #38, as well as a person from the CBJ training staff. It turned out that the apartment next to Nutivaara was free and on the next day they rented it out. He is very happy from this.
  • He is asked if he has been preparing for the NHL from a long time (since the draft) and about his English. He says that everything went gradually. It seems that he went to a language school when he was little with French being the first language and English the second. In seventh grade he says that he was really good at French. But when he started going on the road with Lokomotiv - he started to forget it. He learned that French is not really important when on the road in Europe. He started learning English day to day. He started watching TV series in English with subtitles and soon started to learn new words, but he says it was very important to practice it on the road.
  • He is asked to recommend three places, which he would take a persob in Columbus. First he recommends taking a walk on the waterfront (it seems he likes it the most). The second suggestion is going to the zoo. He also recommends going to Ohio State Park - Hawking Hills. He is very impressed by the beauty ... the nice roads and waterfalls, he is also very impressed with it's size. As a bonus he really recommends visiting a collage football game. He is very impressed that up to 110 thousand people can gather and he says it's always very fun (despite that he doesn't really understand the sport).
  • From the start of the season he is constantly learning playing against NHL players. He says that one of his main focuses is watching the other CBJ defenseman. He says that he already knows the team system, but he is constantly on the lookout for new details and new things, so that he can improve. He says that even small details are very important. (gives a very hard-working vibe; my note).
  • He says that he also watches very carefully the tapes on opponents and especially their defenseman. He tries to always watch all the game highlights and everything is very interesting for him.

Hope you enjoyed this. It was a pleasure for me to translate the main stuff. All the best to your team!

Main player info from Capfriendly:
BORN:November 21, 1995
BIRTHPLACE:Yaroslavl, Russia
NATIONALITY: Russia
HEIGHT:6' 3 (191 cm)
WEIGHT:213 lbs (97 kg)
SHOOTS:Left
ELC SIGNING AGE:23
WAIVERS SIGNING AGE:23
DRAFT YEAR:2015
DRAFTED OVERALL:159
DRAFT ROUND:6
DRAFTED BY:CBJ

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This kid has improved with every game. He's trying to add more in the offensive zone but it still feels like he needs a bit more confidence to stay and make a play. He tends to drift back when a pinch might help keep pressure in the zone. I'm very impressed with his play. He's a top 4 guy that will be a huge benefit long term with his skating and defensive smarts. If he can manage to add a little offense this kid will be a dream for CBJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad